1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

LT: Let Sproles get TD

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Sydalish, Nov 30, 2009.

1. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    http://www.signonsandiego.com/weblogs/chargers/2009/nov/30/lt-let-sproles-get-td/

Monday, November 30, 2009

Norv Turner was set to put in LaDainian Tomlinson when the Chargers were near the goal line early in the fourth quarter.

But Tomlinson came up to Turner, put his arm around his shoulder and said, "I want Sprolesy to score."
    After Sproles (twice) and Jacob Hester both failed to get in the end zone and the Chargers had the ball at the 1 (courtesy of a pass interference call in the end zone), Turner finally inserted Tomlinson.

Tomlinson, who already had two touchdowns, fumbled the ball just before crossing the goal line for what would have been his third TD.

2. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Ah, so people blaming Norv for that are wrong.... again.

3. Sydalish

Ratings:
    +1,807
    people blaming norv? :lol:

the crowd asked for it! when we were all chanting LT LT LT LT LT :icon_shrug:

4. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    LT was just taking a breather and didn't want to be bothered by a little thing like running it in for a TD. :icon_tease:

5. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    It was a sentimental move by Norv... in part probably playing to the fans a little bit. Even with the fumble I still totally support the call. :yes: :bolt:

6. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    I missed that because the local TV station switched to a more competative game. Yeah, the 20-3 (at the time) 49ers game.

7. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    sorry to hear that you missed a good game

8. Zeus

Zeus BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +83
    I can't disagree with any of the playcalling during the game.

He listened to LT. Tried Hester and Sproles. listened to the fans and what WAS a TD was called incorrectly with not enough evidence to overturn it.

I liked that call, the long bombs, and that long field goal. Great call.

9. TBF

TBF BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +148

A bit of writers liberties on this one...

I watched the whole thing from field level and binos on LT. Shortly after the B. Manumaleuna catch and run, LT waived to the sideline like he does when he needs to be spelled... You could tell he wasn't tired. Sproles ran onto the field, LT stopped, spoke briefly with him and you could tell LT wanted him to score. There was a "Team" attitude about what LT was doing. Then, the idiot fans in the east end zone (as they always do when we have the ball and under center) start chanting LT LT LT....

These are the idiots who only know one player on the team, have no idea of the "Team" concept and will easily jump off the bandwagon once times get tough...

That LT LT LT Chant kills me. We are so much more than LT, and it shows the lack of football knowledge of these fans. We were up big and it was obvious it was Sprolseys turn...

I root for the name on the front of the shirt not the name on the back of the shirt like some of our idiot fans!

GIVE SPROLES A CHANCE... Dude is a workhorse, give him the TD Love!

10. LaDeezie21

LaDeezie21 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    Oh give me a break man. I think the fans understand the uncertainty of LT's future not only with the team but in the league. They know the records he is close to breaking and want him to score as many TD's as possible while he still can.

The fact that you didn't think of this shows me your lack of knowledge.

11. Sydalish

Ratings:
    +1,807
    As one of those "idiot fans in the east end of the stadium" I beg to differ my friend.

12. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Exactly.

I'm sure all of us cheered when LT broke the record for most touchdowns scored in a season. That doesn't mean none of us understand "team" concept.

• Like Like x 1
  13. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    You do realize there are members of THIS forum that attend games and might very well sit in the East end zone, right? :icon_eek:

:icon_toast:

14. LaDeezie21

LaDeezie21 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    you don't think the team wants him to get those records and to be associated with him?

I think you're stretching it a bit here. These bolts have always been close and it's always been about team chemistry. that's why we don't have any Ochocincos or TO's on the team.

15. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Actually, yeah, they were. On the SDUT and CMB people were complaining about not giving it to L.T. earlier in the series near the goal line. They were whining about Norv not letting L.T. score a 3rd TD.

This proves them wrong.

• Like Like x 1
  16. CasualKnowledge

CasualKnowledge BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +19
    I was near east zone, south east plaza. To be fair, I was chanting STFU TBF. People like to see records set by their own players. And they aren't fans because of it? Interesting.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Sydalish

Ratings:
    +1,807
    oi vey

some folks are never satisfied... :lol:

18. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    :lol:

rep

19. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    No I don't think they do... I know they do!

20. TBF

TBF BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +148
    No break here amigo.... I know the game very well and have watched my team from my seats for almost 20 years. I don't give a damn about any record or stat not spelled L O M B A R D I... Sure it's great to watch players on my team get accolades, but at what cost... I saw LT call for Sproles. I saw LT, tap him on the *** and tell him to get it done and our fans are screaming LT LT LT when Sproles is on the field.

I don't give a damn who scores the TD (EVER)... As long as points are scored by us, I'm happy.

I WILL NEVER root for the name on the back of the Jersey before I root for the name on the front of the Jersey!

21. TBF

TBF BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +148
    Are you sure thats why they were chanting LT LT LT... Records, really?

LT LT LT was being chanted long before records were in his future...

22. TBF

TBF BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +148
    And if your one of the ones CHANTING LT LT LT everytime were inside the five yard line while PR is under center then shame on you.... PR has had to quiet down the crowd on a couple different occasions...

Lets be honest... Most people have no idea why they're yelling LT LT LT... It's just what people do because they have been doing it so long....

• Like Like x 1
  23. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,581
    And just what were you doing when LT broke the single season record for TD's? Walking out of the stadium?

24. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    I sit near the east end zone and I agree w/ most of what TBF is trying to say. :yes:

Almost everyone is chanting LT instead of letting Rivers make his calls. It's time to chant / cheer after the score.

25. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    :lol:

keep up the good fight, you are a real fan.

:icon_wink:

26. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

This part, I can agree with. Those fans might want to pay attention to who is on the field.

Besides that, whats wrong with fans wanting to see LT continue to break records?

27. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Congrats.

[​IMG]

28. PB Bolt

PB Bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +138
    I finally got to see the replay of that series. And this thread explains a lot.

Gotta say, I was in the East end zone not caring who scores, as long as somebody does.

29. Sydalish

Ratings:
    +1,807
    Let's be honest, it's not just the east end of the stadium that does it - the west end is just as bad :p

While I will concede that the cheering and screaming while our O is on the field trying to snap the ball is annoying - in that specific situation chanting LT LT LT wasn't going to cause a false start/delay of game b/c they were all just kinda standing around and making their way to the line. IIRC it was a TV timeout or coming back from one - either way - it didn't require them to burn a time-out and wouldn't have b/c there wasn't urgency there at that moment in the game.

While you were at field level with binoculars and privy to all of LT's communication with Sproles/Norv many of us were not able to see all of that go down (which is why I posted the article in the first place). I can only speak for myself and the people I was sitting with, but in that moment we just wanted to see one of the all-time Charger greats get the nod on a special day for a special moment after the game was well in hand.

Considering how effective Sproles has been as a runner on the goal line since the Raider game - wanting to see LT doesn't exactly equate to a lack of football knowledge either :p

30. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    ARE YOU PEOPLE FUGGING KIDDING ME? YOU THINK THESE GUYS GET DISTRACTED BECAUSE OUR FANS ARE YELLING? MAN, YOU PEOPLE HAVE SOME KINDA EGOS. MAYBE I COULD SEE THE NOISE BEING A FACTOR IN A DOME, BUT OUTSIDE? IN A STADIUM THAT IF I REMEMBER CORRECTLY THE CLOSET SEAT WAS SOME 50 YARDS AWAY?

:popcorn: