1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

LT & Me, a must read.

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Oct 27, 2009.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    LaDainian Tomlison, when he ends his career he will be in my opinion the best Charger to ever take the field. His accomplishments while wearing the lightning bolt are many, while his failures few. We were asked to read the book LT & Me, a book written by the mother of the Chargers Star Running Back, and one that I was surprised to find myself riveted to.

It is not only that LT is a player I respect, or that he is a person that I am glad to let my sons look up to as a role model. It was actually the ability to see into the life of someone who has reached the zenith of football, and has risen to stardom in the NFL.

Typically I am a defensive minded fan, perhaps because I played on the defensive side of the ball in high School. I always found myself loving the big hits and the way that defenses would attack the opposing offense. That and having the chance to speak with Bill Arnsparger didn’t hurt either. But of all the offensive stars to ever make me jump for joy, LT has done it most consistently, and with the most class.

I still remember to this day, standing with my friend Loren Casuto, AKA Anteatercharger, as LT broke the touchdown record. Amazed at how the stadium seemed to shake with the energy of the fans. Watching grown men hug one another and cry tears of joy without shame. LT has brought a lot of joy to the fans of the San Diego Chargers, which is something that can’t be argued. LT has given many of us so many reasons to cheer.

The book LT & Me goes into the life of the Chargers Superstar, highlighting some of the trials and tribulations the family had to face, and gives insight into raising a family. This book is actually something I would call a must read for all Charger fans, be you the ones who believes that LT still has it, or those that feel the AFC Championship Game in which he was injured was his swan song.

The book gives the life and times of the Tomlison family from the point of view of the Matriarch of the clan, Loreane Tomlison, and discusses her challenges is being a single mom trying to raise her children right. Looking back on this, hind sight being what it is, I would have to say she did a fantastic job.

At the end of the book it discusses the feeling that LT has struggled with the last few years, and clearly indicates that this star is starting to look at life beyond the football field. I often have felt that players become stars, then they lose the gleam to fans, and it is another six years after they retire or move on until they become stars again. I am not sure LT will have to wait for the fans of San Diego to realize what they have lost when he does hang up the cleats, I only know he will be missed.

http://www.amazon.com/LT-Me-Champio...dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

2. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    Awesome Conc. Looking forward to reading it!

3. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
  4. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Thanks, Conc.

I plan to be in Canton on the day that LT goes in. :tup:

5. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Another good read is by equipment manager Sid Brooks. I saw a copy in Barnes and Noble earlier this week and skimmed a few pages. There was a passage where the Chargers players were having a kangaroo court back in the 70's/80's. One of the players, I think it was Little train James, was being accused of being "too short" and not being able to see over the steering wheel and was sentenced to driving with 3 phone books under his *** at all times. He was given a chance to speak and was promptly shut up by the judge and jurors (all team players). I think Charles Dejournay was the judge. I was power reading it for 30 seconds and what I skimmed looked like good chit. :tup:

6. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    that one is on my Amazon wish list for Xmas - if we can afford Xmas this year.

7. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
  8. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
  9. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Hang on. I have an idea.

I ordered the used book a few minutes ago. It will arrive in 4-14 business days. I will read it fast and then "Pay It Forward" to you with the stipulation you send it to the next fan who wants to read it .... etc etc etc.

If you do not like the idea then FU and I will offer to someone else. :bolt:

10. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    That's cool, Trumpy. No need for the FU - but if you got wet thinking of me, your welcome. :icon_tease:

:icon_toast:

11. RiversRules

RiversRules BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +22
    LT is one of the reasons why I love the Chargers. He is everything that you want an athlete that you look up to, to be. You won't see L.T in any bad press. He is also one of the reasons that I dearly want the Chargers to win the big one and win it soon. With all of the records that he has broken, with the loyalty that he has shown the team and the fans, I will be truly saddened if he does not get the ring to top off his amazing career.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Osmekaman

Osmekaman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +31
    Whether you liked him as an owner or not - First Down and a Billion by Gene Klein is a funny, funny book on the Chargers of the Coryell years.

13. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Gene Klein had his moments. He actually treated the fans pretty good with his year end give aways (TV''s etc) but sucked *** on trading JJ. We did get Wes Chandler and he was every bit as good as JJ.

Gene was often mistaken for the janitor. He dressed like a slob and looked like an unmade bed walking around. He was described as slovenly many times.

14. Osmekaman

Osmekaman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +31
    Told from his slant obviously, but he didn't put up with any contract crap from JJ or Fred Dean etc and just traded em if they wanted more money.
    Some of the anecdotes regarding players were hysterical but a main reason I liked him (from afar) was has apparent hatred of Al Davis and willingness to #### him up at any turn.