1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

LT: Me and Rivers are good

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Dec 28, 2008.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    December 27, 2008
    By Kevin Acee

The emergence of the Chargers as a passing team this year was like gasoline on a fire so many have been wanting to stoke for so long.

Philip Rivers vs. LaDainian Tomlinson.

It is a fact that this offense has become Rivers-centric. It is plain as day that Tomlinson is not happy about the lack of running opportunities.

But even as the Chargers struggled and Tomlinson sulked, it seemed to me throughout the season, starting in training camp, that Rivers and Tomlinson were more easily mixing, making an effort to be friendly and to communicate on the field and in the locker room.

I asked Rivers about it a while back, and he shrugged. He can get along with anyone, and he never felt there was a problem.

This week, I asked Tomlinson as he sat at his locker about an ESPN report last Sunday morning -- before the Chargers' 41-24 victory at Tampa Bay -- that the Chargers' locker room was split into factions (Rivers vs. LT). Tomlinson scowled, shook his head and looked as if he had been simultaneously slapped and given news he could not believe.

"(The ESPN reporter) has no idea what's going on in this locker room," he said. "Me and Philip haven't had one disagreement about anything this year."

I asked if what I had observed about the pair was true -- that he and Rivers were talking more and that it appeared natural.

"The more you're with somebody and you play with him that's the relationship you build," Tomlinson said. "He and my relationship is a great relationship to have between a quarterback and running back. I can tell him anything about what I'm feeling. I can say we need to run the ball more. He says, 'This is what we're trying to do.' Before, I would never have done that, and he probably wouldn't have done that."

Look, I think the ESPN report was more making something of what has been known for a while -- that there have been players unhappy with the playcalling on offense. It's no secret LT and his line have been unhappy.

But LT and Rivers are fine. They can co-exist. Winning helps.

2. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    WTF is up with Acee and all the **** stirring he's done this week?

First there was the Punk question to Wilhelm, then there's the speculation article on LT being traded and now it's about whether LT and Rivers are getting along (although at least this one wasn't negative). :tdown:

3. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    I'll take the other perspective: It has been my impression for quite some time that LT and Rivers don't get along very well. It is a businesslike relationship, they both know that "co-existing" is a necessity if the team is to have success.

This evident in reading LT's denials, Philip's too for that matter. Not once do either of them say that they are friends.

4. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    I agree and what the fuk does this have to do with playing the Broncos?

I think for the most part LT has acted like a self-centered a-hole this year. JMO.

5. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    Since when do they need to be BFF's????

On the gridiron,

RESPECT > Friendship

I like that they're communicating more, but do they need to hold hands and wear friendship bracelets? F No. This is FOOTBALL, not Jr. High. In the words of Jr. Seau "WHO CARES!?"

6. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    Ask Dan Fouts if being buddy-buddy with teammates is necessary for playing winning football.

7. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    Sports writers are like professional kid brothers:

They're nosey, ask intrusive questions, take what they've heard and tattle to others... and then wonder why they aren't trusted and respected by the players. :yes:

8. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    I'm sure PR wants to say, "well I really wish he would catch the damn ball every once in a while."

9. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    I can see LT being upset that the offense has changed a bit and he is no longer in the spotlight. He should benefit from the switch though, he doesn't have to take all the punishment that he use to.:bolt: