1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

LT not surprised by Chargers' recent remarks

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Aug 3, 2010.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

ESPN.com news services
    Updated: August 3, 2010, 11:14 AM ET

LaDainian Tomlinson is a New York Jet, but he can't seem to escape his Chargers identity -- his former San Diego teammates won't let him.
    Responding to comments made about him by Philip Rivers and Antonio Gates, Tomlinson told The New York Post that he has "moved on."

Rivers had told the San Diego Union-Tribune that it was a "relief" to start camp without Tomlinson looming over the team.

"I don't know how everyone feels or if they felt it," Rivers told the newspaper. "Maybe it was a little bit of a relief. Maybe it's a feeling of, 'I can do a little more without wondering what he thinks.' "

The 31-year-old Tomlinson signed with the Jets this offseason after being released by the Chargers. He had his worst season as a Charger in 2009, rushing for just 730 yards, although he did score 12 touchdowns. It was his first season with fewer than 1,000 rushing yards in San Diego.

He spent eight seasons in San Diego, rushing for 12,490 yards and 138 rushing touchdowns. He also caught 530 passes for 3,955 yards and 15 touchdowns, and was named the NFL's MVP in 2006.

Tomlinson, the unquestioned starter in San Diego, will compete for carries with Shonn Greene on the Jets.

The five-time Pro Bowler told the Post that he's focused on his current team, not his former home.

"Honestly, I really have no reaction to it," he told the Post. "I don't spend any of my time thinking about what's going on there because I'm so focused in this football team and job at hand. I've moved on."

Gates had told the Union-Tribune that Tomlinson had a star status, something that Rivers doesn't demand.

"He has done a phenomenal job with opening relationships with people," Gates told the newspaper. "When you talk about great player, you have to be careful what you say. Obviously, I miss LT. I played with him a whole lot. But the reality is Philip and I have a more core friendship because of the openness.

"Me and LT had a wonderful relationship too. But sometimes you got the sense of stardom status and you can only take it so far. With Philip, I never feel that."

Tomlinson told the Post that he's not surprised with the comments as he watched Junior Seau go through the same thing when Seau left San Diego.

"It doesn't hurt me, but nothing surprises me because guys want to speak their opinion on things. Junior Seau went through the same thing with guys when he was the big star and he left the team and guys said how they felt about him. It's the same situation. Good luck to those guys," Tomlinson told the Post.

2. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Ol' LT actually came across pretty well there... Hopefully the bitterness is behind all parties involved.

3. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Yeah, back on the high road. I can understand his frustration, but playing it out in public like he did soured him quite a bit...

4. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    New York written article.

"he can't seem to escape his Chargers identity -- his former San Diego teammates won't let him."

They answered one question and Tomlison ran his mouth multiple times after he left. The New York media wasn't busting his balls for that. Now they want to make their own look like the good guy. F them!

5. SDBoltzFan

SDBoltzFan BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +10
    JR never ran his mouth about the Chargers after he left. Comparing the way he left, to the way JR left is ridiculous.

6. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Please, somebody, anybody, make this terrible noise go away!!!!!:icon_eyes:

7. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

Kevin Acee on Jim Rome's Radio Show Says Chargers are Generally Happy LT is Gone

8-3-2010

So the Silver Fox himself called into Jim Rome's radio show this morning to address the article he wrote about the new aura of the Chargers. The article put Philip Rivers and Antonio Gates on record as saying, essentially, the team is better off without LaDainian Tomlinson and his attitude.
    Kevin Acee:

• Acee isn't buying Favre's retirement. But he's happy the Favre drama is taking the attention away from the drama of the Chargers. The Chargers should now only be one of the top-3 circuses, behind the Vikings and Redskins.
    • Acee says Rivers wasn't alone in being relieved to see LT leave, Philip was merely echoing the team's general consensus.
    • While LT was still a Charger, it was the worst-kept secret that he was unhappy here, and his teammates were unhappy with him. Everyone just put on a smile to keep up appearances.
    • Many tried to point to LT as the leader of the offense, but Philip has always been a leader, and has been a leader on this team, even when he was just Brees's backup. So Acee doesn't expect anything really to change this year with LT gone as far as leadership is concerned.
    • Even if LT wasn't the true leader, he still had a certain "grip" on the team and players. Now that that's gone, they can relax a bit more; it's not so overbearing.
    • In the last few seasons, LT became increasingly pouty.
    • The feeling in the locker room is that LT and his attitude being gone is a big deal for them, in a good way. The team feels like LT is no longer holding them back and they're more like a family now.

• LT didn't take too kindly to all the changes happening to the team following the 2006 season. With Norv's arrival and Philip emerging as the team leader, LT felt the spotlight was being taken off him, and he didn't like it.
    • It was widely reported in 2007 that LT called a team meeting to get the players together and he is credited with helping turn the 2007 team around and bring them together. Though that did happen, he didn't do that very often, and it helps to show he wasn't a true team leader.
    • LT appeared to be a different guy last year, all-smiles, happier, saying all the right things; it was all a facade and LT was generally unhappy.
    • What made LT great was his confidence in himself and his desire to be the best. But once he started his decline, it's what made it so difficult for him to accept the fact that he physically wasn't as good anymore.
    • Rome says LT was always the humble superstar, and asks Acee if that was an act or if LT really was that guy. Acee says LT really was that guy that we saw, the humble superstar, and that he just became frustrated in later years as he started to decline.
    • He was the "great guy" in 2004-2006 because it's easy to be happy and excited when you're winning the MVP award and your team is winning. It also made it easier for everyone to overlook LT's faults and attitude.
    • Rivers is not a superstar, yet; he will surpass LT. Yes, Philip has a certain arrogance about him, but that's to be expected and it's what makes him good. What makes Rivers better though is he doesn't put himself above anyone else on the team, nor will he ever. The team is coming out saying, "Gee, we like this situation much better now."
    Acee left the show and Jim Rome gave a few of his own thoughts:

• Rivers and Gates aren't trying to throw LT under the bus. What they are saying, though, is LT got touchy and pouty about his reduced role and that the team is happy that element is now gone.
    • As far as the Chargers are concerned, LT's departure is absolutely "addition by subtraction."
    • LT is very prideful, and still feels he can do what he always could do. If he doesn't get the opportunity to do so, he's going to be upset. However, if you can't do it anymore, don't bring the whole team down with you with your bad attitude.

8. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    I still feel this (Rivers drafted/Marty shitcanned/Brees walks) was the catalyst to the downfall of the relationship between Tomlinson and the team.

None of this surprises me and I'm sure the team does feel a HUGE weight off their shoulders, esp Rivers. Since the AFC Champ game in NE, Philip has been 100%, without a doubt, THE leader of this team. I can understand him not wanting to step on Tomlinson's toes in the process of taking over the leadership role on the team though, and what a relief this must be for him to finally be able to just let it all out.

One thing I noticed @ Friday's practice was how loud Philip was yelling encouragements at everyone, talking some smack, and generally firing the team up. I don't remember ever hearing him like that before. It was pretty rad.

Super Bowl baby.

9. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    Also LT never really was the vocal team leader guy. He only got pushed into that role and never really did do any better at it.

Far as the catalyst that all teams focus on and gameplan to stop wout a doubt even up to the 09 season it was LT. It has and will continue to progress to stopping the passing game.

And PR is deffinatly the new vocal team leader by the sound of it.

I havent been a fan for long enuff, but honestly I have a real good feeling about what this team will look like/do this year.

All the players who are stepping up and have been for years since we acquired them. I just am going to say we have prob the best team I have been a fan of. I never thought I could say that the day after Jwalls release, but here we are!!

10. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
  11. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    :icon_rofl::icon_rofl::icon_rofl::icon_rofl:

12. megold0715

megold0715 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +70
    i cant wait for the season opener did i mention i cant wait for the season opener

13. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    Did you say something? :icon_rofl:

:icon_party:

14. D4L

D4L BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +17
    I like how the article tried to portray the team as bringing it up. PR and AG just answered a question the media asked. They answered it in an honest yet not hostile way. LT on the other hand was lobbing grenades the team as he left Lindberg Field. And as stated before, his departure and Seau's are not even close. We were celebrating his retirement, I mean graduation at the time and his actions afterwards is what caused some to turn on him. You will always be a Charger in my book LT but you have to shoulder some of the blame in this as well.

15. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Classic! :icon_rofl:

16. Ray Dahayder

Ray Dahayder BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +33
    I know I've mentioned this before, but when Brees was here and PR was just being a back up QB, he was always out on the field and in the special teams huddle slapping people and giving encouragement. I noticed at the games how much he was always a cheer leader and how he was always chatting with the players even though he wasn't anywhere near the action. He's ALWAYS been the leader of the team.... I think the NE game with his bad leg just sealed the deal. LT was a pouty baby at times. That was obvious, as was the fact that LT and PR never really had a tight relationship like LT had with Drew.

I think we have the best team we've had in a long time. Unfortunately, VJ and MM and Merriman are too self-absorbed to share in that and make the 'dream' happen. Still, maybe it's good that those guys aren't here. Maybe it's more "addition by subtraction". Although, I do think MM must be getting bad advice.....VJ has shown himself to be the selfish, egotistical character that a lot of these WRs have become. It's as if they have to "keep up" with the TOs and Ochocincos and all the rest. And the problem that the media plays in all that is how they seem to glorify the idiots. TO gets his own show... Ochocinco is all over the TV. Unfortunately, you have to act like an *** to get any press. So, with the mental makeup of most of these guys, that's a nice combo for growing your trouble spots on the team. I never took MM to be that type.

But, back to the LT thing.... even the casual fan could see there was trouble in paradise the last couple of years. So for a few guys to come out and dance around the issue isn't really "news". The fact that they said anything may be.... but that only shows me how deep it must have been.... that they said anything at all.

17. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Thats great!!!! :icon_rofl:

18. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Unlike many folks, I believe it was mostly Tonlinson's tude that caused the majority of his decline. If the head goes bad so follows the rest of the body, why else all the whining from Tomlinson. If he's truly happy as a Jet he may have one heck of a year and I wouldn't be surprised, I don't think he's done physically just yet. While he may have Lost a step he's still got all the moves, ditch the whiney, pouty thing and he might just surprise a lot of folks.

19. reef shark

reef shark BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +49
    or the run blocking went downhill when marty left. thats what he mentioned right? how many times are we gonna do this?

20. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,887
    I reckon Mathews will answer that question. Hell the O-line was decimated early on. Even Tomlinson sprained his ankle, but more shall be revealed.

21. reef shark

reef shark BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +49
    i wasnt being completely serious about the running game bc of '07. but since it sounds like you are, looking at sproles' rushing numbers last year actually would answer that. if he was averaging the same ypc as tomlinson then you gotta at least see where hes coming from when he says he was "set up for failure". right? :icon_toast:

22. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,887
    If Tomlinson says he was "set up for failure", then I would believe his biggest problem is between his ears.

23. Nomadic Bolt Fan

Nomadic Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +334
    :icon_rofl:

24. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Tomlinson shines at Jets scrimmage

Posted by Mike Florio on August 8, 2010 8:12 AM ET

Running back LaDainian Tomlinson, cut in San Diego and assumed by most to be deep into the twilight of his career, opened some eyes with a strong performance at his new team's intra-squad scrimmage on Saturday night.

Tomlinson scored a 70-touchdown on a pass that, per Mark Cannizzaro of the New York Post, traveled 30 in the air. And so (engaging abacus) that mean Tomlinson ran away from the defense over the remaining 40 yards.

"This is what he brings to the table," Ryan said of Tomlinson. "We never had that when Leon Washington went out last year. Look at [Tomlinson's] receiving skills. Put a linebacker on him and good luck."

On the play in question, L.T. made David Harris look like a guy who shouldn't be thinking about getting a new contract.

"My plan was to show people that I can still play this game and that I still have a lot left in the tank," Tomlinson said.

Fine, but it was a scrimmage. Tomlinson supposedly has been playing with a chip on his shoulder for the past couple of years, but when it matters he's not scoring 70-yard touchdowns.