1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

LT passing the torch to Sproles?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by ChargerRay, Sep 14, 2009.

1. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    Sproles has clearly emerged as the most effective RB for the Bolts. With LT watching from the sidelines during the most crucial part of the game, Sproles became what LT used to be on the field.

So my question is this. Should Sproles become the #1 back going forward with LT coming off the bench as a change of pace? Or do you like LT starting with Sproles finishing?

2. TBF

TBF BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +148
    No... Sproles was on the field as he was our "Passing" back... We were in obvious passing situations.... LT is our feature back... Lets give him a few games before we pass the torch...

3. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    I like L.T on the field when he looks like L.T. I don't know why he keeps coming off the field but it sure does suck if he can't go #1 style.

4. BestInTheWest

BestInTheWest Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +16
    FWIW, per Norv's press conference, LT rolled his ankle, and that's why he was out.

5. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    Hurt again? This is getting old.

6. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192
    I don't know. LT started getting yards in the second half and then he was benched. He only got something like 13 carries and had over fifty yards. Sproles was muffing kicks, doing bad in the running game, and yet Norv kept him in for some strange reason. LT would have had a hundred yards or more if he kept getting carries in the second half. I will say this though, Sproles is not a franchise back, not even close. If we're phasing away from LT then we'll need to get someone else in so Sproles can continue to be a change of pace guy. He did nothing on the ground today.

7. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    why risk LT vs the Raiders when your oline can't block for him to run but sproles can be effective b.c he's shiftier, smaller and a passing threat?

you dont have bennett to come in and spell him and sproles was effective - pull LT and save him for later. that's what we all wanted right? he couldn't have been that hurt, he was standing and walking around. after all the injuries tonight... that;s my story and i'm sticking to it.

8. Showmeyourbolt

Ratings:
    +192
    Sproles only averaged 2.6 yards per run. I'm guessing Turner kept him out due to the way the Raiders kept going after our players' legs after the whistle.

9. BestInTheWest

BestInTheWest Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +16
    Yep, sucks too because I thought LT played well when he was in there. There were times where there was absolutely no where to run, yet he managed over 4 yards per carry.

10. ChargerRay

Ratings:
    +867
    I heard that LT rolled his ankle as well. While I agree that Spoles is not a feature back that can do it alone. A combo with LT keeps him fresh enough during the game and is quicker both as a back and a pass catcher.

Norv needs to get out olinemen to be more physical so we can just run up the middle insyead of always going wide.

11. Showmeyourbolt

Ratings:
    +192

We were doing a much better job of blocking up the middle in the second half, but we didn't stay with the run. We kept going for big bombs on offense which doesn't work too well against pretty good Oakland cornerbacks.

12. LaDeezie21

LaDeezie21 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    I don't know how to answer that yet. LT had some good runs (he trips on himself a lot though) but Sproles can't be an every down back either. I would rather have LT be the every down back with Sproles being the spark plug every now and again. BUT...if sproles goes down, we are screwed. He can really do damage ONLY in the passing game though. if the bolts get caught up on a grinder, I'd rather have LT here. LT did good and DID NOT look bad in any of his runs. He still has it and can get the bolts 3 or 4 yards with decent blocking.

13. BlueandGold

BlueandGold The Oracle

Ratings:
    +219
    If LT rolled his ankle, good move by Norv to keep him out. That field was utter shiat, no sense risking him, especially since we had to move the ball through the air.

14. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    word.

15. Holy_Bolt

Holy_Bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +362
    I believe LT is still the man. The problem is both LT and Sproles need the O-line to do their job. They consistently get hit on our side of the line and strugle to make a couple of yards...where is the O-line?

16. Daddy_O

Daddy_O Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +300
    Offensive Tackle
    Levi Jones (LT) - Talented, long-time starter for the Bengals, but has suffered through various injuries over the past few years which have limited his play.
    Jon Runyan (RT) - He still wants to play one to two years and should be ready to go very soon.
    Charles Spencer (LT/RT/G) - Very talented and versatile, but hasn't been the same after suffering a horrific leg/knee injury during his rookie season with the Texans. Recently signed with the UFL.
    Kwame Harris (LT) - Marginal starter, but could be a solid backup for a team in need of a LT.
    Jason Fabini (RT/G) - Can play probably at least three spots on the offensive line. Serviceable backup at this point in his career.
    Milford Brown (G) - Better off playing RT or G.
    Wayne Gandy (LT) - Last word we had was that he still wanted to play.
    Junius Coston (RT) - Fits in as a fourth tackle.

Guard
    Pete Kendall - He turns 36 early next month, but probably still has two good years left in him.
    Barry Stokes (RT/LT) - The 35-year old journeyman lineman has spent time with 10 teams in his career, but could find a new home before the regular season starts because of his versatility.

Center
    Al Johnson - Was released, but with an injury settlement from the New England Patriots. If healthy, he would be an excellent backup.
    Jason Whittle (G) - The 33-year old lineman is capable of playing four positions on the offensive line.
    Grey Ruegamer - Recently released by the Seattle Seahawks. Decent second center.
    Steve McKinney (G) - He's pretty much at the end of the line, but could have one more season left. His versatility could get him a job.

17. ChargerRay

Ratings:
    +867
    I believe Fonoti is available too.

18. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    But that was only part of it. He rolled it right onto that nasty hangnail. Same injury as Buster has. This will tie him up on the sidelines for weeks.

19. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    No you didn't !!! :icon_eek:

20. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    :icon_rofl::icon_rofl::icon_rofl::icon_rofl:

• Like Like x 1
  21. ChargerRay

Ratings:
    +867
    :lol:

• Like Like x 1
  22. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    The only problem with LT is NORV FRAKING TURNER!!!

It looked to me like there were three plays Norv ran when LT was in there.

Again, How the hell can I, on my couch in MICHIGAN, see what's coming every time LT is standing in the backfield.

COME ON NORV!!

B4L???

23. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    [​IMG]

24. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    I know others have said it, but I will too. Sproles is not a #1 back. Michael Turner was LT's future replacement, but he came at the wrong time. If we want to get our running game fixed we're going to need someone who can push the pile and knock people over, neither of our backs have that in them. Our line just isn't opening holes for juke move running backs like they used to.

25. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    LT's replacement hasnt been drafted. Rembmeber, Sproles has not shown a great desire to remain a Charger thus far.

26. GBERP73

GBERP73 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    lt is still our featured back, while darren sproles is our version of wes welker who runs jerky routes to confuse defensive schemes.