1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

LT played for a WAC school, so did Ryan Mathews

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by szarmes, Mar 7, 2010.

1. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    Look for Mathews to be wearing a Bolts jersey next season!

2. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings:
    +58
    :icon_rofl::icon_rofl::

ok cuz that makes sense?

3. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    We'll you may like the new bolttalk mock thats coming out. hahaha

4. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    LT was a record setting Heisman finalist who went on to further cement his already robust credentials by blowing every other RB out of the water at the combine by running a 4.38 40 and dominating all of the drills. He was also drafted #5 overall and was almost picked higher.

Mathews is a good back who had a nice career at FSU and may get lucky enough to sneak into the first round as he had a solid combine. He's also shown to have questionable durability and wasn't nearly as highly touted of a prospect.

The WAC is also a different conference now....so there really isn't much to compare the two backs.

5. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Yeah....other than they're roughly the same height, weight, close to the same 40 time, and in their junior year both ran 1800yds and 18 TD's (19 for Mathews)....whats to compare?:lol:

LT was a heisman candidate in his senior year, and to our benefit Mathews is skipping his senior year because he'd probably be a top 15 pick next year.

6. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    :thumbup:
    don't forget that Mathews compares himself to LT. I really think we'll get him

7. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
  8. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,420
    If I compare myself to LT does that make me as good as LT? :icon_smile:

9. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    I don't think anyone is realistically expecting him to be a future HOFr....although that would be cool to go from one to another in 1 offseason.:lol:

But the size, speed, and college numbers are similar so I understand the comparison. I might seperate them in the recieving catagory though, FSU just doesn't run that type of offense.

10. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    I think that's a bit of an overassessment of Mathews....He only had one breakout year and would have risked dropping his stock if he didn't match it his senior year. That being said, I wouldn't mind us drating him at all, I just find the comparisons to an all-time great runner pretty laughable.

LT was only really discovered at the end of his sophmore year when they started him out splitting carries with anothe back. LT really was closer in 40 time to Spiller and Best than he was with Mathews. LT was a FAR more accomplished receiving tailback. LT wasn't injury prone in his college career and there are concerns with Mathews there...You selectively left out LT's senior year, but those number dwarf Mathews final year numbers at FSU...LT also broke the NCAA single game rushing record and was TCU's entire offense and much more of a marked man than Mathews.

The film on LT's running at TCU is much more impressive. Ryan Matthews had a very good combine. LT had a GREAT combine. LT was an inside / outside threat with absolutely crazy cutting ability that made him into a legend in the NFL. Mathew is more of a one cut and go runner with less burst and speed and no where near the pass catching ability.

11. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +91
    If Mathews is a Charger this season, I'm going to go out an...punch a dog:icon_rofl:

12. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Why?:icon_shrug: