1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

LT says Raiders scare me

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Sep 14, 2009.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703

[​IMG]

Running over rival

Chargers own Raiders, having won 11 straight

By Kevin Acee
    Union-Tribune Staff Writer
    2:00 a.m. September 14, 2009

OAKLAND — It might sound like the gratuitous words of a team captain.

“They scare me,” LaDainian Tomlinson said of the Oakland Raiders. “We're going to have to be ready.”

The temptation might be to say, “C'mon, LT. Your team has beaten the silver and black patsies 11 straight times.”

And this is the type of opponent a team should be glad to see as the first game on the schedule — a team they know and know how to beat, a team they seem superior to in almost every facet.

The Chargers' run of 11 victories against their rivals (term used loosely until the Raiders win a game) is tied for the longest active streak in the NFL. Pittsburgh has beaten Cleveland 11 times in a row, and by the time the Chargers kick off, New England might have beaten Buffalo for the 12th straight time.

Oakland has the NFL's worst record over the past six seasons.

Tomlinson has scored in all but one of his 16 games against the Raiders.

The list of reasons this should not be a problem goes on.

But Tomlinson isn't just dropping a cliche' for the benefit of talking up the Raiders.

The Chargers have faced some difficult games over this 5½-year stretch without a loss to the Team of the (Past) Decades. (In fact, just six players on the Chargers roster have been on the field for a Chargers loss to the Raiders. A mere five Raiders have ever known what it is like to beat the Chargers while wearing silver and black.)

“They have been the better team,” Raiders coach Tom Cable said. “San Diego has had the Raiders' number here for a while.”

In the past three years, there has been one blowout and one game that was tougher than it might have seemed in this twice-a-year renewal between the AFC West foes.

In 2006 at Qualcomm Stadium, with the Chargers at 8-2 and the Raiders at 2-8, Oakland led 14-7 with a little more than 11 minutes to play. The Chargers were driving deep in Raiders territory when Vincent Jackson spiked a ball following a 13-yard reception. Thing was, Jackson hadn't been touched.

Fortunately for the Chargers, the ball spun forward, making his gaffe an illegal forward pass.

Had it spun backward, having been recovered by a Raider, Oakland would have had possession. Instead, the Chargers tied the game four plays later and an LT touchdown with 3½ minutes remaining in the game won it 21-14.

In the Chargers' 28-14 victory in '07 in San Diego, it took a Quentin Jammer goal-line tackle to avoid a halftime tie and a Tomlinson touchdown with 2:43 to play to hold off the Raiders.

Last year in Oakland, the Chargers were down 15-0 in the third quarter before 25 fourth-quarter points gave them a 28-18 victory. Philip Rivers came out of that game bruised and battered, having been sacked four times and hit another half-dozen times.

“They're a dangerous team,” Rivers said. “They've gotten better every year.”

Turner points out how the Raiders finished “very strong” in 2008, which, since they closed the season with two victories, might be a little lavish. But, improvement is relative, from 2-14 in 2006 to 4-12 in '07 to 5-11 last year.

Whatever, don't tell the Chargers' offensive line the Raiders are easy. The defensive front features 300-pound Tommie Kelly and 325-pound Gerard Warren (and/or 310-pound Richard Seymour) in the middle.

“They've got some big, strong players up there,” center Nick Hardwick said.

“No,” said guard Kris Dielman, as if the point weren't getting across. “Those are some big, strong guys.”

The Chargers know the key to tonight's game is making Oakland quarterback JaMarcus Russell beat them. That is done by stopping the run and by scoring a lot, to put the Raiders in a hole.

They know the key is to keep Darren McFadden, et al., from running effectively. They know they need Tomlinson and Darren Sproles to have success, keeping the Raiders from even having the chance to control the ball.

And they need to know that at some point this streak is going to stop.

Turner and others say they're not worried about that.

“We always saw the good in them,” defensive end Luis Castillo said. “There is a difference between a team that hasn't won a lot of games and isn't a very physical team. And maybe it's easy to go in there with a mentality (that) we're going to get through this (easily). But when you're playing a team that has struggled but is a physical team that runs the ball and stops the run, it's always a game, and you always have to bring your best. They've been physical, physical games. You never take a team like that lightly.”

2. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Test of time won't apply if LT's legs go running by

By Tim Sullivan
    Union-Tribune Columnist
    September 14, 2009

The calendar is indisputable, but it is also inconclusive. It is a means of measurement, the yardstick of the years, and as such no more revealing than the height of a tree.

If you want to know what to expect of LaDainian Tomlinson going forward, the key factor is not his age, but his aches. When all of his parts are in working order, the Chargers running back still glides through traffic like a sailboat among coal barges. When he's hurt, he glides less and grunts more. Thus while LT has observed his 30th birthday since last season, his chronological condition matters a lot less to the Chargers' prospects than the relative spring in his step.

“I'm not at the point now where I feel my body's breaking down,” Tomlinson said the other day. “I talk to guys who say there's always something that never goes away; something's nagging. Well, I don't feel like that. I don't know if it's because I haven't gone through a full season yet.”

Pro football's actuarial tables tell you the great running backs tend to plateau at about the same point; that the difference between 28 years old and 32 is essentially the same difference as between a thoroughbred and a plowhorse. Yet Tomlinson would tell you whatever befell those who came before has no real bearing on his own ball-carrying.

He would tell you, flatly and firmly, that general guidelines do not apply to him specifically.

“It's irrelevant,” he said. “You can't judge every guy the same way.” In another man, you might think such sentiments slightly delusional or, perhaps, the boilerplate bravado of an athlete weary of a repetitive line of questioning.

Yet if we've learned anything about LaDainian Tomlinson during his terrific tenure in San Diego, it is that he is nine parts sincerity and no parts spin; that he is as straightforward in conversation as he is elusive in competition. When he says he's again up to snuff after being inhibited last season by toe and groin injuries, I, for one, tend to trust him.

Recognizing that discriminating readers might prefer a second and more authoritative opinion, what with the season opening tonight in Oakland and all, Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers was also consulted about LT's condition.

“He looks really fresh,” Rivers said. “He looks really explosive. And you can just tell from his mind-set, the last three or four months, that he's super hungry. I think he's ready as can be.”

There wasn't enough proof in Tomlinson's preseason cameos to draw any sweeping conclusions on this subject, yet neither is there much basis to believe LT has irretrievably lost any of the steps that made him the NFL's leading rusher in 2006 and 2007.

He played hurt last year, virtually start to finish, and says now he would have been better served to take a game or two off in order to allow his toe to heal properly rather than compounding the problem through continued play.

Some analysts read his diminished numbers — notably a career-low 1,110 rushing yards — as a sign of irreversible decline. Generally speaking, the statistical spreadsheets would favor that interpretation. Yet as a specific case, LaDainian Tomlinson is as hard to pigeonhole as a vintage Corvette, and nearly as hard to catch.

“Mentally, I feel I'm as strong as I've ever been,” he said. “I've endured a lot and I think it's made me stronger. Competitive drive is second to none. And physically I feel like I'm still in great shape . . .

“I think I'm a lot smarter in terms of knowing what's going on; knowing where my blocks are coming from, setting up blocks. I think I'm a better runner in that way than I've ever been, just 'cause I understand. Early in my career, I didn't understand blocking.”

Like a lot of college football comets, Tomlinson excelled at TCU primarily because of his extraordinary raw talent. He has retained a competitive edge by getting educated about schematic strategy, gaining an appreciation of how holes develop and where to find them rather than continuing to rely on superior speed to outrun his pursuit.

Patience is a two-prong virtue for a running back. Play-to-play, it means persevering when the holes are plugged, confident that a seam will eventually spring open. Within a play, it means being conscious of your cue, and allowing a teammate to clear your path before proceeding.

“I think he's super patient,” Rivers said of Tomlinson. “There are a lot of runners who are big-play runners who get impatient on the 3-yard runs, the 2-yard runs. He's the best I've ever seen at taking the 2 yards, taking the 3 yards, taking the no-gain, and knowing that the 15-yarder is coming.”

Tomlinson has not yet reached the point where he senses the daylight dwindling, where his legs won't get him where he wants to go as quickly as he needs to get there. His remaining goal, he says, is a championship and, pending that, another one.

“I know me,” he said. “I'll want more. I'm a greedy person. If I win one, I want to experience it again. I think competitors are that way. I want to repeat. I want that feeling again. That's just the way it is.”

The calendar says one thing. The competitor says another.

NOTABLE RUNNING BACKS' AGE-30 SEASON

The yardage and touchdown totals of notable NFL running backs when they were 30.

Player | Yards / TD

Emmitt Smith | 1,397 | 11
    Walter Payton | 1,684 | 11
    Barry Sanders | 1,491 | 4
    Curtis Martin | 1,308 | 2
    Jerome Bettis | 666 | 9
    Eric Dickerson | 677 | 4
    Tony Dorsett | 1,189 | 6
    Marshall Faulk | 818 | 10
    Marcus Allen | 682 | 12
    Franco Harris | 789 | 4
    Thurman Thomas | 1,033 | 8
    Edgerrin James | 514 | 3

3. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    I'm glad our guy's aren't taking the Dud's lightly, Look what the Donk's did. On opening day anything can happen and it scares me also.

I remember losing to Houston year's back when their best three offensive weapon were sidelined. That was on our last day that season.:tdown:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Just strap 'em on & go kick ***. :icon_twisted:

5. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929
    You have that attitude your more likely to whoop their *** then you would being dismissive. The times the Raiders have given us trouble is when we sleepwalk or downplay to their level (Away 2004, Home 2006, Away 2008), when we are prepared and focused, then the raiders get their asses beat (Home 2004, Away 2006, Away 2005, Home 2007, Home 2008)

6. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    This game scares me a bit as well. Oakland will have nothing to lose so they should play loose, where the Chargers are probably feeling a lot of pressure to get off to a "fast start" and might come out tight.

I think we win, but I think it will be a much closer game than many are thinking.

7. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    Heck yeah they're scary. That's why LT will run away from them on his way to 200+ yards.

8. KyleProBoller

KyleProBoller BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +3
    If I were LT I'd be more worried about the Ravens defense next week. He'll likely leave the field on a stretcher.

9. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    Why, are they going to wrap their pads in plaster?

10. KyleProBoller

KyleProBoller BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +3
    He'll be a paraplegic by the half. Also, very sad that any team considers the Raiders a rival. Very sad.

• Like Like x 1
  11. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,072
    you let a second rate team with a second string QB put 24 points up on you, do you think LT is scared of you?

12. KyleProBoller

KyleProBoller BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +3
    Considering we held them under 200 yards of offense and put up 500 yards we did alright. One of their TD's was a blocked punt and the other was off an INT returned to the 6 yard line. You're going to have to do better than that.

13. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    24 points is 24 points.

14. KyleProBoller

KyleProBoller BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +3
    If you want to talk about numbers that have an impact on LT...talk about how the Ravens allowed 29 yards rushing on 17 attempts yesterday. LOL at you!!! You've been OWNED!!!

15. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,072
    how come you only got 38 points on a second rate Team? You held the ball for almost 40 Minutes.

16. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,072
    does your mommy know you are in here?

OWNED :icon_rofl:

17. KyleProBoller

KyleProBoller BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +3
    Yeah 38 points is terrible. Only one team in the league has scored more this week. You're a moron.

18. KyleProBoller

KyleProBoller BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +3
    Good stuff. No football retort so you go with off-topic insults. OWNED!!!

19. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,072
    you are the one who came in here mouthing off, and then had to resort to the "OWNED" tag.

20. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,072
    Is this the best you have?

If you want some smack lessons, send me a Paypal payment.

21. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    Don't get off topic here, how did Croyle find the end zone twice against you? 116.1 rating? The Ravens were supposed to be a top defense, but I think even the Lions could do that to you.

22. KyleProBoller

KyleProBoller BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +3
    You do realize that one of those scoring drives started 6 yards away from the goal line. LOL at all these uninformed and uneducated Charger fans.

23. PowderLove

Ratings:
    +494
    I'm still waiting...waiting to see what this little sh!t has to say for his team, and also to see what a first string offense will do to Baltimore. Last time we met I got to watch in person as the Chargers put a 32-14 beating on them, what makes KyleProBoller think his birds will fare better this time?

24. PowderLove

Ratings:
    +494
    I watched the Chiefs - Ravens game yesterday, make no mistake...there really is no excuse to come here talking ****, no matter how close a team like the Chiefs start next to your endzone. Face it, this aint your super bowl year, nevermore, nevermore.

25. KyleProBoller

KyleProBoller BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +3
    LOL at the Chargers fan living in the past. Get real loser. No one with an educated football opinion thinks the Chargers are in the same league as the Ravens. You guys are a trash team.

26. KyleProBoller

KyleProBoller BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +3
    LOL at the Charger fan making comments about superbowl teams. How many times has your pathetic franchise won the title??? LOL!!!!

27. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Watch out folks... this one's got game. :lol:

28. PowderLove

Ratings:
    +494
    If I am living in the past...then on what performance do you base your prediction of victory over my team? No past involved, all you can go on is what has happened this football season. Is it based on needing two late 4th quarter touchdowns to put away a team that's in the middle of rebuilding and didn't have their first string quarterback?

Education has nothing to do with your opinions. So tell me, without living in the past dreaming of your once grand defense - what exactly can you base a prediction of victory on?

29. Daddy_O

Daddy_O Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +300
    Game? I was thinking issues.

Here is the breakdown as it stand today.

Teams Rush Yds/Game Pass Yds/Game Total Yds/Game Pts
    Chargers 107.9 (20th) 241.1 (7th) 349.0 (11th) 27.4 (2nd)
    Ravens 148.5 (4th) 175.5 (28th) 324.0 (18th) 24.1 (11th)

PWND on the scoreboard. :abq2:

30. KyleProBoller

KyleProBoller BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +3
    You guys went 8-8 in the worst division in football. The Ravens went 11-5 in one of the best. Clearly you are confused.