1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

LT should bite his lip, not hand that fed him

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by CoronaDoug, Apr 9, 2010.

1. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    NICK CANEPA

LT should bite his lip, not hand that fed him

By Nick Canepa, UNION-TRIBUNE COLUMNIST

Friday, April 9, 2010 at 12:02 a.m.

LaDainian Tomlinson often felt the love at Qualcomm Stadium, but his comments since leaving the Chargers have stirred controversy.

If the NFL were late night television, LaDainian Tomlinson would be Jay Leno. Since being released by the Chargers, the great tailback, once the most common among uncommon athletes, always the genuine, humble superstar, has thrown so many people under his bus it’s become impossible for him to drive it straight anymore.

No one but LT knows why he’s swerved and chosen such a selfish, vitriolic, ungrateful road out of town — my understanding is not even his agents and advisers are pleased with his lip — but it’s so unbecoming to a man beloved in this city, a lesser god, as popular an athlete as San Diego has known.

There are pyromaniacs who haven’t burned this many bridges. LT owes an apology to his teammates — especially his offensive line — who supported him, his head coach, Norv Turner, the organization that made him a wealthy man, and most of all the Chargers faithful, who loved him so, to the point of wearing No. 21 to bed.

I doubt we’ll get one.

Telltale sign? It’s customary, when a Hall of Fame-caliber player leaves his team and gives his valediction, to be surrounded by his teammates. How many Chargers were there to wish him well? None.

“The things that happened in San Diego, everything was taken away from me,” he said upon arrival in New York with his new team, the Jets, earlier this month. “There wasn’t an emphasis on running the football anymore. My best fullback (Lorenzo Neal) was gone, the linemen were pass blocking and it was a passing quarterback (Philip Rivers) and a passing coach. So, the situation’s kind of misleading when you look (at him) on film.”

Let’s dissect that.

•Nothing was taken away from him — except a step and some of his magic by Father Time.

•True, Neal was his best fullback (and a terrific guy and teammate), but by the time the Chargers released him in 2007, he was all but done. Neal couldn’t start in Baltimore, his next port of call, and was cut by the Raiders.

So what does LT do? He Stooges-slaps Neal’s replacements, Mike Tolbert and Jacob Hester, who may not have been as good as Neal in his prime — few fullbacks have been — but nonetheless busted their butts trying to block for him.

•His linemen were pass blocking — on passing downs — and there were more of them, given Rivers’ emergence as one of the NFL’s elite quarterbacks. But much of it had to do with LT, who wasn’t running as effectively on running downs.

Funny, the Chargers’ most effective back from scrimmage last year was Tolbert, who averaged 5.9 yards a carry. Same offensive line. Same offensive line that was decimated by serious injuries. Same offensive line that blocked well enough for the team to win 11 straight games.

•When Turner was hired in February, 2007, LT said, and I quote: “Norv is the perfect fit for our team. He will know exactly what to do with our team.”

He was right. Realizing Tomlinson’s skills were eroding and Darren Sproles couldn’t be an every-down back, Turner didn’t even use LT much on passing downs. He had to throw it more. It’s hard for people to understand — LT included — that Turner is a run-first coach. Has been wherever he’s been employed. Coaches do what they have to do to win. Simple.

•As for watching him on film, we have, and, sorry, this was not the same back. Still good enough to play, not the same guy. How many times in 2009 did we see things the old LT would have broken open?

Hear tell the Chargers’ offensive linemen are livid, but have taken a vow of silence on the LT matter (for now). General Manager A.J. Smith is the only person in the organization to address the sour grapes, and he isn’t saying much, although if you’ve spent any time around the GM, you know he’s ticked — and disappointed.

Wasn’t it Smith who, in his first major act as GM in 2003, made LT the highest-paid running back in The League? Smith never bothered to evaluate his tailback until after the 2008 season, and given his druthers, he probably would have cut LT then (club President Dean Spanos stepped in).

Smith told the U-T’s Kevin Acee: “It’s the team that will win a world championship, not a bunch of individuals.”

Smith tells me: “I wish him the best in New York. We’re moving on.”

This is the classic case of a great player, his skills escaping him, refusing to face reality. But for him to go to New York and tell sportswriters he hopes the tailback tandem of LT and Shonn Greene will “be like Jordan and Pippen,” it leads one to believe Broadway’s bright lights may have made him semi-delusional.

Donovan McNabb couldn’t win a Super Bowl with the Eagles, either, yet when the six-time Pro Bowl quarterback was dealt to Washington, he said: “I felt I was treated fair.”

It just seems so dirty now. The Chargers haven’t always done so with their stars, but the team handled LT’s release with class and dignity.

LT did not return the favor.

Nick Canepa: (619)-293-1397; nick.canepa@uniontrib.com

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/...at/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

2. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +128
    Pretty fair article. I think LT has some valid points, but he should just shut his mouth.

Sure, changes on the line, coach and QB have contributed, but they contributed to his benefit in the past, so shut up and try to prove yourself in NY.

In time I think we will all be over it and cheer him when he retires. At least I hope so.

3. coachmarkos

coachmarkos BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +47
    Good Article. Well done Nick.

4. Chavez

Chavez Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +37
    :tup:

By the way, Gregg Rosenthal from PFT has nick-named LT "Complainian". :lol:

5. Zeus

Zeus BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +83
    LT should blame the grass in San Diego as well. After all that was the leading tackler of LT.

6. LightEmUp

LightEmUp Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +11
    Wow, San Diego really has it out for the guy. Thanks for nothin LT.

Why is the Chargers FO so upset LT has said the team went away from the run? Media and fans have been saying it for a while now.

7. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Obvious troll is obvious.

8. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +635
    he basically showed his "me first attitude" by throwing his coach, olinemen (someting a RB should never do), quarterback, et. under the bus.

I take his comments as "It wasn't my fault, my coach didn't know how to use me, they favored that QB over me and the oline sucked"

Most knew it was time for LT to go, but had he just said "I'm a jet now, It's time to move on" no one would have a problem with him

9. LightEmUp

LightEmUp Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +11
    I think you've reached on his comments. I think a lot of people have.

What concerns me is the guy gives us 10 years of his heart. Put this team on his back when we sucked and this is the gratitude he gets. He could say me, me, me all he wants in a couple articles. He was all class and team first for 10 YEARS.

So what if he didnt say "I'm a jet now, time to move on". Because he shared his feelings the past 10 years of his life mean nothing?

And he didnt say anything that wasnt the truth. Sure he didnt say he played a roll in some of that too but what do you expect from an athlete at that level? Future HOF RB's with something to prove dont put down their own play. Thats expected.

Whats not expected is how fast the Chargers FO, media and fans have turned their back on the guy. I appreciate what he did for the Chargers a little too much to flip a 180 that quick.

Maybe the SD media should make a bigger case over the guys who were partying at Pure Platinum just a day before the Jets game. If thats not "me me me" I dont know what is.

10. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +370
    Lol like RTL said, "obvious troll is obvious", at least change your avatar to something not of the Jets if you're going to troll.

11. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Not a single teammate showed up for LT's goodbye speech (what does that tell ya ?)

LT's O-Line men have chosen to take a vow of silence (hmmm what does that tell ya?)

Wait until Jets fan watch how fast LT runs out of bounds.

LT screwed the pooch here and on the way out. Now his true colors are shining like beacon for all to see.

I am glad Jim Brown called out LT as a puss. :yes:

12. MasterOfPuppets

Ratings:
    +635
    I think it's expected that most fans won't like a former player (even a superstar) throwing his former team under the bus on his way out

It's also expected that the fans of the new team downplay those comments

we'll soon find out if it was LT getting old or if it was the Chargers not run blocking/not commiting to the run that was at fault

I'l bet that whichever rookie RB the Chargers draft will have more yards than LT (specially in the playoffs)

13. Harley

Harley BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    nail, head...

14. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    And there is more to this ****. I feel like a freaking *** for supporting someone who I thought would respect the fans and the organization but nope.

The mother effer has to go out like a pole smoker and we supported his *** ? ....and all the kids in LT's corner of the stadium supported his *** as well ?

LT could have pitched to stay for a minimum salary (which is still a million per year) but he said F all of you (even the crippled kids).

Effing hypocrites. They speak of no loyalty which means they are not getting more money versus the next ******** while Joe the Plumber tries to keep his head above water in the worst recession since the Great Depression.

Wait until Rivers gets popped for a DUI and shagging biitches in 50 states....yeah man.... then the fun begins.

And still we yell ....

Go Chargers.

F me Freddy.

15. LightEmUp

LightEmUp Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +11
    I'm a Chargers fan. The avi lets us not forget.

16. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Well, for your first post on this forum you could have fooled me.

BTW, welcome.

17. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Notice how Antonio Gates has STFU after he had his tongue firmly planted in LT's *** crack after LT threw everyone under the freight train.

Gates agreed with LT if you all remember. Now he is curiously quiet.

Maybe Gates wants to be a Jet as well since they do have run blocking versus our pass blocking LT alluded to ? :icon_shrug:

Gates better keep his effing mouth shut or he will be next to have his nuts lopped off in the forums. :yes:

18. LightEmUp

LightEmUp Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +11
    I'm not sure the teammates showing up means anything. You dont know how much they have talked in private. You have no idea whats been said or where these guys stand with each other.

The OLine has taken a vow of silence? Geeee, I wonder why? Criticized by the media, their fans and an obvious weakness, they dont want to talk about themselves??? Imagine that..... imagine them not wanting the spotlight on themselves annnnnnnnd maybe having to take a side against their current employer....

I bolded the part that speaks volumes of your post. I wonder where you were on the LT fence when he was carrying this team on his back, breaking NFL records weekly and on the cover of every fantasy magazine on the racks?? - I bet you were yelling about how much he stepped out of bounds? I bet. Easy now to trash the man. No one knows how much you rooted for him before ;)

LT's true colors? You believe that? LoL. What a great actor LT has been. Get the man an Oscar an Emmy and whatever else we can for fooling us for 10 years with his "class act". We all bought it. The charities, the organizations, the sponsors, the team, the city, the fans, the whole nation. We all bought his B.S. Good call on that one!

Jim Brown didnt even have the class to stand up and acknowledge LT when he broke his record. He's sour and I've posted about that before on another site. JB's comments only prove he is still bitter.

19. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Since you are new, I will give you some leeway but not efffing much.

Many will vouch that even though LT set records and I have said he was the best all around back I have seen (and yes I saw Jim Brown run .... yeah I am that old), I was ON LT's *** for running out of bounds to save himself the wear and tear. I want to see MY running back turn up the field like MY coked up Chuck Muncie did and inflict some F'n PAIN.

I never saw Walter Payton, Jim Brown, Gale Sayers, Eric Dickerson, Earl Campbell do it (run out of bounds to save his *** over and over). I saw Emmitt Smith do it alot but he is about the only brother I remember running for his life out of bounds to extend his career.

Why should Jim Brown stand for anyone? He did what he did in a 12 game season - It may have been 14 game season, **** I forget but at any rate, why should Jim Brown acknowledge anybodies accomplishments UNTIL they do it FASTER than Jim Brown did?

Players need 16 games today to think they rate in Jim Brown's jock scale and that does not cut it. Let these bastards do it in the shortened amount of games Brown played in to REALLY compare apples to apples otherwise - it is a big effing hand job. :yes:

20. LightEmUp

LightEmUp Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +11
    My mistake. I didnt know this thread was about LT running out of bounds. Used to drive me crazy too. Then again, if that was the tradeoff for having the best RB in the league for many years and one of the top 5 backs in NFL history, I guess its ok.

Ironic that even with his out of bounds antics he still has been injury plagued. Must of been how much we relied on him early in his career.
    :icon_party:

21. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    Dude I would not b1tch if we used our second round pick on TE Jimmy Graham from "The U".

22. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    Most of these guys are running out of bounds to prolong their career (so they think). Since these RB's are a dime a dozen and teams are starting to use the two back system, these guys need to go balls to the wall while they can. If teams get 5 years out of a RB then they are lucky.

23. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    I am on the verge of saying Gates can go to hell as well. :yes: The only reason he STFU is his because his new contract is coming up.

Can Jimmy Graham play nose tackle (or FG kicker :icon_eek:)? :lol:

24. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    Ha! I can get a blind leper to play FG kicker. They are used to pressure. :icon_rofl: I would not sign Gates to a long term deal. I would give him 3 years at the most. As always.... DRAFT BEEF!

25. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    I am on the verge oF another forum hiatus until we get some beef (it is like a Ghandi fast for forums).

Every year it is the same old **** and it will not change until we get our beef regiment right.

Posters get woodies and wet panties over every position imaginable so long as they weigh under 300 pounds.

Draft BEEF or give me death. :bolt:

26. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    Hell it may be death before we get beef! :lol:

27. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    This is what pisses me off to no end. :icon_evil:

It is like an orgasm that never reaches its potential and then we die.

I am embarassed to list the fans who have been rooting for this team since 1961 who have attended our world famous tailgaters and who are now DEAD. :icon_evil:

There is no god and if by some chance he is alive in another dimension, I am going to kick his ***. :yes:

God has an asswhoopin' coming. :bolt:

28. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    GO CHARGERS

:bolt: :abq2: :helm1:

29. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    The truest measure of a man's character is how well he deals with adversity.

Bronze that phrase. :bolt:

30. MasterOfPuppets

Ratings:
    +635
    taz pedo otra vez? :icon_tease: