1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

LT tabbed Turner for big series

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Oct 2, 2006.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/chargers/20061002-9999-1s2chside.html

Star says his backup better at 'pounding it'
    By Jay Posner
    UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER
    October 2, 2006

BALTIMORE – Every defeat hurts, but yesterday's 16-13 Chargers loss to the Ravens seemed to affect LaDainian Tomlinson a little bit more than usual.

“Been in too many of these games; it gets old real fast,” the Chargers' star running back said. “No question it's a tough loss. These are the type of losses that wear on you. I don't care what anybody else says, but they wear on you, take something out of you every time.”

Tomlinson's reaction hardly was surprising, considering the Chargers outplayed their hosts at M&T Bank Stadium for nearly three hours. What was unexpected, however, was the revelation that he allowed his backup, Michael Turner, to be in the game with 5½ minutes remaining and the Chargers trying to protect a 13-7 lead.
    The drive began at the Chargers' 9-yard line, but two false-start penalties pushed San Diego back to its 2. Lorenzo Neal carried for 1 yard before Turner gained 7 and 2 yards on consecutive plays. The Chargers wound up taking an intentional safety with 3:12 to play, which preceded Baltimore's winning drive.

Tomlinson said he was “fine” physically. But he added the Chargers had discussed that if they were trying to run out the clock in the final four minutes, Turner would be the running back.

2. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +383
    Big props to LT but that is absolutely PATHETIC that LT has to be the coach in that situation and Marty can't make a good decision on his own. LT probably knows Turner has a better chance than him to pick up those needed yards but somehow MORTY can't see it. LT is a class act :yes:

3. PhilipRivers#1

PhilipRivers#1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +464
    It just occurred to me. LT is tired of Martyball, thats why he let Turner run it.

Marty is causing LT's career to die on the vine. :icon_sad:

4. Critter

Critter BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +23
    Exactly. He stated some other things like what is the point? The defense knows what we are going to do. Do you really think I would have gotten a first down?

Sad.

5. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929
    truth

6. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    The sky is not falling... I wish ya'll wouldn't get so negative after only three games. This loss hurts big time. And all the analysis here is pretty solid, but isn't hope more healthy than cynicism? I'd rather hope for the best and be disapointed than expect the worst and be surprised. So why don't we give the whole organization the benefit of the doubt and believe that we will improve on a weekly basis for the next 17 or 18.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Good post bro!

8. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929
    The reason we are so negative is that this game against baltimore looked very very familar. It looked like the game against Denver in Colorado, like the game against Pittsburgh, like the game against Kansas City here at home, like the game against Indianapolis last year, like the game.......

The point is that we've seen this before over and over again. There has been no change; Marty doesn't seem to realize that when you don't step on the throat of your opponent when he's down that there's a good chance your opponent will come back. There have been some times where its worked out in Marty's favor like against KC and Indianapolis but you can't tell me that the coaching had much to do with those wins as opposed to great plays by the players.

And you can't tell me that a system that's continuous run run run punt or run run pass punt is one that works well.

9. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    No.

Can't you see the lynch mob at the ready ?:icon_shrug:

It is a Pavlovian response with some.

Too late. :icon_banana:

10. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Dood, I totally feel ya and it goes back further than the last year or two. The criticisms of sunday's game are typical of our shortcomings since before Marty even arrived. It has been a very long time since we displayed any competence for putting a ball game away. But my issue is one of attitude and resilience. Winners don't quit or give up hope after a loss and neither do I. Simple as that.

11. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    The thing is. Marty could wise up and realize what he may be doing wrong in the game plan.

As ladanian said. If the other team knows what your going to do your gonna have a hard time beating them. All marty has to do is open up the playbook and take the handcuffs off the offense to allow it to call plays that have a chance of working. Thats it. Its as simple as that.

12. Rule12b

Rule12b Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +116
    Enormo and I were there. Even the Ravens fans were relaxed in the third quarter. I had 10 people seriously offer to bet me $20-$50 that we'd lose 14-13 or worse.

It was unquestionably the worst playcalling either of us had ever witnessed. It is inexcusable to so totally abandon a gameplan that had the Ravens on their HEELS for the entire first half.

Our D plays better with a lead that cannot be extinguished by a single TD, period.

I'm a Marty fan, but this and the 3rd quarter in Oakland to a lesser extent, are deeply, deeply troubling. The comments coming out of the locker room are just as troubling. On of our strengths is team chemistry and this kind of inexcusable coaching letdown is undermining that.

If Marty loses the confidence of his players, we're finished regardless of our talent.

13. PhilipRivers#1

PhilipRivers#1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +464
    I just don't think you can sit on a 6 point lead on the road for that long.

There is just no room for error.