1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

LT: Taking The Low Road Out Of San Diego?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by ChargerRay, Feb 16, 2010.

1. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...omlinson-taking-the-low-road-out-of-san-diego

Okay, I know the huge allegiance of LT fans who will be mad about this article. I know what they will say. "This writer doesn't know anything about Tomlinson's career accomplishments, or what he's done for the community". Who the heck is he to question the great LT?

Aknowlegement

Fair enough. I will admit LT is one of my favorite all-time players. His 12,490 yards, 138 touchdowns, and 2006 NFL MVP will give him his deserved place in the Hall Of Fame, and certainly one of the all-time greatest Chargers. I own his rookie cards, have his autograph, and thoroughly respect his community involvement with children and animals.

Who am I? I am a fan of the San Diego Chargers. I have done everything a fan can do to prove loyalty to an organization. Do I think they have done Tomlinson wrong? No! But I can't say the same in answering for Tomlinson.

When it's Over

I never respected Oscar De La Hoya more than after his loss to Manny Pacquiao. He stood there in front of his fans, with his welted face and bleeding nose and said "I just don't have it anymore." This is a man who puts his fans and sport before his pride, ego, even money.

Well LT, I hate to say it, but your fight appears to be over too buddy. I know boxing is a single person sport, and football is a team sport, but I have a hard time passing blame. The Chargers current roster boasts four pro bowl offensive linemen, a pro bowl quarterback, and two Pro bowl receivers to take the pressure off. Not many teams can say that.

I know LT was frustrated and upset when he announced he wasn't returning to San Diego next season, but who could he be frustrated with? My answer would be himself. He had 233 chances this year to get something going, and he failed to make it happen. 3.3 average yards per carry wouldn't even categorize him as a top 3 back on any NFL team.

The Contradiction

When the Chargers were winning in late November, and December, Tomlinson stated in interviews that there was a really special vibe in the locker room. That the Chargers were as focused as a team as he had ever seen. Yet in the Playoff loss, just one month later, Tomlinson stated in a interview that the Chargers weren't focused, were distant, and did not communicate. They lost one game in 3 months, by 3 measly points.

The Money

Let me just say this. Tomlinson will NOT be offered a multi-year or multi-million dollar contracts anywhere else. He will not be a feature back. He will probably see minimal playing time, fill some seats and sell some jerseys. If you cant make it on 50 million dollar career earnings, than you cant make it on 52 million either.

This move hurts a players legacy and does little for the new team. Do you remember Joe Montana as a Chief, Emmit Smith as a Cardinal or Jerry Rice as a Raider?

Could He Be Chasing The Championship?

I will say my biggest regret as a Charger fan is that Tomlinson's 2006 MVP season couldn't be cut and pasted into the 2009 squad. If it were, the Lombardi trophy would be resting in San Diego. Unfortunately, father time had other plans.

As a contributor in the big games, LT has been a non-factor. We can look to last months loss to see that. Or further back to the AFC championship of 2007 where a turf toe kept him off the field, yet Rivers played with a sprained knee. At least he could have acted as a decoy to set up the pass for his hurt QB, if not, go on IR to give Sproles some help with another running back.

Again in the 2008 wildcard round against the Colts, LT was MIA. It was probably a good thing for the Bolts too. It was a very close game that Darren Sproles single handedly won with 328 all purpose yards.

The Breakup

I have to say Kudos to the city of San Diego, Dean Spanos, AJ Smith, Norv Turner and the Charger fans for taking the high road on this one. All I have heard is how good a guy and how great a player LT is. The Chargers have publicly expressed they will never trade Tomlinson out of respect. So Tomlinson, shame on you for not holding to the same code.

Does a career ever revive itself?

Usually the answer is no,I can think of one situation where the answer is yes. Brett Favre.But it was the Packers who dumped him , not vice versa.

My advice to Ladainian

Take the high road! Retire as a Charger, and get inducted to the Hall of fame as a Charger. Keep your involvement in the organization, and the community. By name alone, You could endorse anything in San Diego, like Elway does in Denver. You can also stay active in football like Charlie Joiner does with the Chargers.

You have a legion of fans, a legendary status, and a impeccable legacy here. Is showing up in a Cleveland Browns or Denver Broncos uniform next season really what you want to leave that for?

2. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    This makes me depressed...

I need to hug my LT jersey...

3. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    I'm framing mine and hanging it on my wall, I think I'll feel like someone died or something whenever I see it. :(

4. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    can't say that I disagree with the article, my wish would be 1)that LT would retire this offseason or 2)that he comes back (better to retire since he's no longer a weapon in the offense)

Since he's probably going to another team then my only solace is that in a few years, after he retires everyone will remember him as a Chargers (not the year or two he stumbled around for another team) like the players mentioned (Montana, Smith, Rice)

5. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    I'm already over him leaving.

Nothing I can do but remember the great plays he made and the joy he gave to all of us.

6. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    QF F'n T! :tup:

7. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    agreed, and an LT jersey will be the same thing as wearing a Fouts/Alworth/Humphries/Seau jersey

But for now, onto the draft, and who will be his heir apparent

8. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    this guy is kidding himself if he thinks LT won't get $$$ somewhere else.

He'll get a 2-3 year contract with a bonus. He'll under-preform and get cut after the first year. He takes a few million and retires very happy.

Screw the championship, he's past it in my opinion

Sorry LT.

9. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    yep, thanks LT. YOu were one of the best. Now lets find a young rb that can make some yards when needed. We need a runner that can get us 4+ yards everytime they run the ball. We've got the distance offense with the pass offense. WE need a rb that can get those very tough yards when needed.:yes:

10. SDKCFAN

SDKCFAN BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +6
    Joe Montana led the Chiefs to the AFC Championship game against Buffalo. He did well with both teams and went out well liked by everyone.

11. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    I know everyone is all sappy and sad that LT is leaving, but I'm kinda pissed off at him. He's basically saying "I want the ball more, I want my money, the team is full of immature players and I'm going to whine and ***** about being disrespected even though my production is at an all time low."

He's taking it very poorly for a guy who claims to understand the NFL is a business.

12. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    I felt the same a few weeks back.

It's just butthurt on LT's part. He KNOWS it's over in SD and he's feeling sorry for himself. It's just a shame he can't just STFU and stop whining and making himself look bad to the world.

Mr. Classy indeed. :yes:

13. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Hold on here, AJ DID tell LT to trust him.

just sayin

:tdown:

14. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Does trust him = make an aging back the feature of the offense overriding the coach and putting a very good QB as second fiddle?

15. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    not sure, but I remember the article, it was when Mart got fired. AJ made the statement to LT basically saying to LT that hiring Norv was going to get LT whatever it was he was looking for.

I can only guess that that was a SB, otherwise it was money and AJ made good on his promise.

LT was (and still might be) the highest paid RB

16. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    While there are plenty of great memories for me of LT doing astounding things, I still think he has a decent season or two in him. He's got to be depressed over the way things have fallen out at this point, so I'm not about to get on his case for remarks he might make. My thoughts are on watching the ceremony when he gets inducted to the Hall of Fame. I'm looking forward to that with a smile on my face.

17. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    ^^^ what he said.