1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

LT to play in preseason?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Thumper, Apr 19, 2008.

1. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    LT considering playing in preseason

By Kevin Acee

April 19, 2008

Not only do Philip Rivers and LaDainian Tomlinson expect to be 100 percent by the start of the season, fans might actually get to see Tomlinson in action before the Sept. 7 opener.

Eight years into a career in which he has carried the ball a total of 14 times in the preseason – including the past two Augusts, when he did not take a single snap – Tomlinson said yesterday he may actually participate in the preseason.

“We'll have to see how it goes,” Tomlinson said. “It may be good for me to play in one preseason game.”

Tomlinson said new running backs coach Ollie Wilson, whom he knows and trusts from working with him his rookie season, pointed out how slowly Tomlinson generally starts the regular season.

Said Tomlinson: “Maybe that's a part of not playing in the preseason; maybe it's not. Who knows? Maybe I might get a chance to run a little bit in the preseason.”

Later, head coach Norv Turner said, “I haven't talked to LT. But if that's something he wants to do, I'd be open to it.”

Tomlinson and Chargers coaches will undoubtedly assess the risk-reward of the five-time Pro Bowler participating in exhibitions. Not doing so has not been too detrimental.

In 2006, Tomlinson set an NFL record with 31 touchdowns and 28 rushing touchdowns and was named the league's MVP. In '07, he led the league in rushing for the second straight season.

But evidently there is always room for improvement.

In the first four games of the past two seasons, Tomlinson has averaged 3.6 yards per carry and scored a total of five touchdowns. Over the final 12 games of the past two seasons, he has averaged 5.4 yards per carry and scored 38 TDs.

There appears no question that Tomlinson and Rivers will be playing when September comes.

As both prepared to tee off in Tomlinson's charity golf tournament at Maderas County Club, they said the knees that ailed them during last season's playoffs are further along than expected.

“I'm great,” said Rivers, who had ACL reconstruction surgery at the end of January.

Rivers said that for the first time since the surgery he did the entire workout at the team's conditioning session on Thursday.

“I have a ways to go,” said Rivers, who has been back golfing for two weeks and walked yesterday without a limp. “But I'm certainly pleased.”

Tomlinson said he is about 90 percent. Like Rivers, he expects to be limited in next month's minicamp but full-go come training camp at the end of July.

“It's doing a lot better than I would have expected at this time,” Tomlinson said. “I'm working out full strength, so by the season's start I'll be good.”

LINK

2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Good to hear Rivers and LT are making great progress on their recovery
    and yeah LT playing a smidge in the preseason doesn't strike me as bad - as long as of course he doesn't get injured because if he does i'm going to look mighty stupid.

• Like Like x 1
  3. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    I remeber that long run he broke off aginbst the 9ers 3 years ago that was his last preseason carry. thing of beauty

4. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192
    Who cares about the word of a puss?

5. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942

Yes it was. His only play that game.

6. P88F

P88F BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +99
    lmao now this is my main man haha:tup:

7. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    :drama:

8. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192

Just wanted to post it before eldwin:lol:

9. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    No one with an ounce of manhood. My little soldier will never come to attention for someone so unmanly.

10. Stan_The_Man_12

Stan_The_Man_12 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +38

God I hope NOT!

Bad Idea! IMO. :flag:

Stan :rivers17:

11. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I think he should get a shot or two in before the regular season starts. That will really let him know how the knee is. :yes:

Good news about both PR & LT. :tup:

12. bigcarson50

bigcarson50 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +54
    It makes me nervous, but not because he is going to play in preseason. It is more to do with WHY I think he wants to. I think he is unsure about his knee to the point that he wants to test it before the season.

If he is too unsure about it, he might really start playing to not get hurt and that is when bad injuries happen. Not to mention that can cause a RB to not hit the hole as hard.

LT doesn't need to be hesitating when he should be exploding for 60 and a TD.

13. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +383
    LaDainian is a joke.

"Oh yah I might play one game in preseason because I am so precious".

Yeah ok.

Play in every game and run hard or just retire.