1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

LT vents on Bolts issues, outlook

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan, Feb 4, 2010.

1. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,580
    http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010/feb/04/1s4tomlinson/?imw=Y

2. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Sounds like what most of the fans here have been saying...

That is the crust of the biscuit IMO.

I have zero problems with what LT has said, because I will take actions over words every day.

3. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,407
    How did one game turn the perception on the team's character make-up so quickly?

All season long everyone on this board was raving about "quiet confidence" and how the team was focused.

One horrible playoff game and suddenly everyone's been "me first" all season long?

(I'm not saying anyone was wrong in either assessment, it just seems crazy to me how it turned out that way)

4. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Are you saying that you have not seen the posts where people were calling out the likes of Cromartie, Phillips, and Merriman all season long for being 'me' people?

It is a common at all the sites, .com, SMM, UT etc...

LT is saying what the fans have been saying all along IMO. I believe it is tainted right now with his frustration... But to me that is understandabe...

5. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    I this is what has everyone questioning LT's credibility

:bolt:

6. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    Honestly, Cro and Merriman are the only ones I remember reading throughout the season, not just after the playoff game.

Besides, my post was on the perception of the entire team, not just a few players.

7. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +90
    Saw the same thing from someone elses perspective...

San Diego Charger Issues – LaDainian Tomlinson Speaks the Truth
    Posted by Paul Arnold on Thursday, February 4, 2010 · 1 Comment

Well, the time had to come sometime. What time is that you ask? The time when LaDainian Tomlinson, or “LT” as most San Diego Charger fans call him, is no longer the king of the city (even if he lives in Poway actually).

With the extreme arrogance that starts at the very top of the San Diego Chargers franchise, it certainly appears as though “LT” is as good as gone. That in itself is not tremendously surprising news, given the cut-throat business that is the NFL. But some of the things he is saying on his way out the door are confirming many of the same internal realities about the San Diego team. He is pointing out what many, including this sportswriter, have been pointing out for some time. Realities, that until they are addressed, will keep this team from being a true championship football team regardless of how much talent General Manager A.J Smith brags that he has brought to San Diego.

Perhaps some of LT’s recent comments on the XX Sports Radio talk show, the Scott and BR Show could have been positioned as sour grapes, without a doubt. But there is a lot of truth to many of the comments he made. “…It’s not about the values no more. It’s not about football, the things you’re taught- faith, family, football. To them, it’s not about that no more. It’s the name… It’s ‘me’.” He goes on to say that he does not want to deal with that anymore and will not renegotiate his contract; almost assuring he will be part of some sort of buyout.

Interestingly, two of the Charger players who did comment were probably among the group to which he referred. That being Shawn Merriman, ironically who may be a victim of the A.J. Smith fiefdom, responded to LT’s comments by remarking, “I really don’t think so.”

Yes, this is the same Merriman who made headlines with his Labor Day weekend incident with noted bi-sexual Tila Tequila during a party at his home, getting arrested for a brief time. The latest development is that he may be in the middle of a paternity suit with friend Tiffany Horne.

Yet another response was heard by wide-out Vincent Jackson, who said, “I don’t see it like that.” Yes, this is the same Vincent Jackson who is reputed to be a mainstay at certain San Diego drinking establishments, having been cited for his second (alleged) DUI, but whose attorney was able to get the trial delayed until March of this year so he could finish out the season. The same Vincent Jackson who was briefly detained (and handcuffed) for driving with a suspended license the day of the playoff debacle against the Jets. It seems pretty certain that Jackson is likely on his way to a suspension of probably 1-2 games.

It goes on and on. Like the unconfirmed report that several players were at a strip club the Friday before the Jets game.

In that respect, I agree with “LT.” As I have often said, “talent wins football games, but character wins championships.” Hey, that’s pretty good – and I didn’t even steal it from anyone.

The fans should be behind LT all the way and hope that he sticks around cos he cares about this team more than anyone on it! He is just rightfully fustrated at the lack of passion, Values and Character on this team at the mo.

8. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    3 questions.

1. How do you know what other Chargers players think?

2. If they (other players) really don't care about the team how is LT staying going to make them care?

3. If LT cares about the team so much why is he not willing to take a paycut to help the team stay competitive?

9. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    3 questions.

1) When did scratz say he knew what other charger players thought?

2) What is a leader supposed to do?

3) How many is he supposed to take. the 2 million bonus and 1 million salary he is due this season is chump change.

10. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings:
    +1,580
    I said LT thinks he's a 1200-1400 yard back because HE ACTUALLY SAID it. Sorry I can't directly post audio snippets here, otherwise you could have heard him say those exact words.

11. Bolt-tastic voyage

Bolt-tastic voyage BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +11
    First and foremost Kevin Acee is a total douche and has an ego as large as AJ Smith and he hates on guys like LT and Merriman because they give more love to other reporters.

Second I think its funny that in this article he quotes Merriman and VJ as disagreeing with LT when those two guys are a big part of the "character problem" which LT is addressing.

I would much rather have guys who give a crap at the end of the season and point out the flaws in the end so that they can be fixed. Rather than guys who say "we are proud of winning 11 in a row" I mean seriously that was fun for 11 weeks but it doesn't mean anything now.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976

Good post...

13. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    Well, to answer your questions again, scratz said he knows what other people are feeling when he said LT "cares about this team more than anyone on it" Those are his words, not mine.

There's nothing to assume there. That declarative statement flat out says what other people are feeling.

You can call it his opinion but that doesn't negate the fact that he made a declarative statement claiming what other people are feeling.

Suggesting otherwise would be like me telling you CBF is just "stating an opinion" when he posted what LT said.

I answered two already, I don't feel like doing so again just because you moved it to the flame war thread.

As for three, if he's truly only due 1 mil this year then I retract my statement on that regard.

14. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Well you can scream all you want that he said he said things he did not. It does not change the fact. I get you think you are a better debator than anyone else, but you are incorrect.

He expressed an opinion, so get over it.

15. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    Who's screaming? Who's debating? Not me on either.

I'm posting what he flat out said. I'm not even typing it. I'm cutting and pasting.

"...he cares about this team more than anyone on it"

That says, plain as day, what other people do or do not care about.

Now, here's a novel idea, how about we let Scratz respond to my questions since they were directed at him.

16. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    You are the one beating the dead horse. Stop getting bent over others opinions.

17. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,804
    I love ya man but... you're totally off base on this. Leo was having a discussion not a screaming match and CBF was directly quoting LT. The only one who seems to be "fighting" is... :icon_shrug:

18. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Ok.

19. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings:
    +1,580
    Conc is DA MAN. Always will be. Made my son smile last season at the Seattle pre-season opener. :icon_toast:

20. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    What if LT is the problem?

He's talking about guys with a "me" problem as he's complaining about his role and his number of touches n ****.

:icon_huh:

21. Holy_Bolt

Holy_Bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +362
    I'm posting my comments in two LT threads because it fits as my reply.

I have no problem with his statements during the season or after. As we have all seen, Football is played with a lot of emotion…I believe we all know, it is hard to stay consistent in thought when emotions are raging up and down during and after a season.

22. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Why is it ok for LT to throw teammates under the bus but no one else can?????:icon_shrug: :icon_huh:

23. IFiredCHart

IFiredCHart Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +96
    Here is what I think about LT: last year, many loyal fans wanted you gone because you had nothing left, but AJ did the character move and re-signed you, give you the #1 role, and even allowed you to live your delusions of grandeur.

You failed miserably, but trust me when I say that most teams would not have even given you this shot. To expect to be receiving another one in the wake of a terrible season is something the team should not need to endure.

LT, I will always appreciate the memories of you, but please, do not leave ala Favre out of Green Bay--he had something left, but the organization essentially threw him out the door, whereas we welcomed you with open arms and gave you a chance to prove yourself this season. You failed to capitalize, and you must accept this.

It is not the fault of Cromartie, Phillips, Merriman, Jackson, or anyone else that you could not have a single productive run in the second half of that playoff game.

24. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    I wouldn't be able to beat a dead horse if you wouldn't keep giving me posts to respond to.

Yeah, I was beating a dead horse (and still am with this post) but you can't just call me out on doing something when you're just as guilty.

25. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Because he's so classy. Just ask him if he doesn't tell you first.

26. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    I agree with you to a point. Had LT been interviewed immediately after the game and gave those replies then I could except it. But this was a planned interview long after the game. He had time to think things over and give the "politically correct" reply as a leader. Granted he may not be the leader of this any longer but player I am sure do not appreciate a player (with hall of fame credentials) who is no longer playing up to his ability calling out other players in the open. No matter how much a team may embrace him that will always be on their minds.

27. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    This is pretty much the nail meeting the head.

I want to defend LT, but he is kinda presenting a double standard here.

28. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Yes I can... And did...

The proper statement is that may not be right of me to do..

:icon_tease:

29. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    No. You can't. I struck it from the record and it never happened. :trout:

30. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    You cant do that! That is cheating!:icon_evil: