1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

LT worried about inconsistency, running game

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by ChargerRay, Nov 10, 2008.

1. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-chargers-tomlinson&prov=ap&type=lgns

• Like Like x 1
  2. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036

ARE YOU FUGGING KIDDING ME!!

Well, put me down for this season as well as LT's career is done

Either LT goes

Or Norv

:tdown::tdown::tdown:

• Like Like x 1
  3. SD Native WY

SD Native WY Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +334
  4. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    Norv

5. SD Native WY

Ratings:
    +334
    I agree......and its Norv who needs to go back to wherever he came from!!!!!!!!:yes:

6. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    Reason 1 why there has been no red zone production. If you can't run the ball in the redzone you can't score in the redzone. No suprises here. Football 101.

Would LOVE to know what is going on here. Seems like something very specific. I don't remember the Bolts ever running the ball this poorly with LT. To be a fly on the wall.

Say what you want about Marty but he knew this. If all else failed he could have the team assert it's will on the defense. There's none of that now adays. It's gone. So now it's either execute or stall out. Well, we've seen this team stall out plenty this season. There is no Plan B for this offense.

No **** Norv Turdner. And nice attitude. I'm glad you "want to". Seems like you really are committed to running the ball.

Really? REALLY? Because I've actually seen the opposite. I've actually seen opponents stack the box LESS often this season. Okay... for arguments sake, let's say they stack the box more often. That's never stopped this team before from running the ball effectively.

Nice excuse Norv.

What the *$&%#@!!!! This team has some serious problems.

7. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    LT still has his moves. We've seen them first hand over the past couple of games. He's turned nothing plays into solid gains. The problem is that there's only so many times you can turn nothing games into something. The problem goes deeper than LT.

8. SD Native WY

Ratings:
    +334

9. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036

THIS IS GETTING DAMN DEPRESSING

:icon_sad::icon_sad::icon_sad:

10. VikingBolt

VikingBolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +477
    LT

If you want to see a real example of what it means to play one's heart out, watch the end of the Minnesota Vikings' game against Greenbay.

Adrian Peterson convinced his coach to throw the red flag on a previous play and it was left as called and they lost a timeout.
    The way AP played after that was sheer "want to win" running.
    I've been saying all year, the Chargers are not playing with "heart". Added to that, they started the season in a sort of egotistical way, almost as if they didn't have to put their all into the game because they were so good - so talented.

The proof not only is in the pudding but in the 'ya gotta wanna' as far as I'm concerned. Whatever other communication or interactions are going on, I don't know.

They need to stop celebrating after every run they stop or pass they block and JUST DO IT as NORMAL.

/rant off

• Like Like x 1
  11. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    Norv

• Like Like x 2
  12. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    This team is heartless. i really can't find anyone on this team that does whatever they can do to win. Want heart? watch anquan boldin play. He got destroyed and had facial surgery in the jets game yet he doesen't look back at the incident and plays every play like it's his last. I'm not card's fan and I will always love the chargers but SOMEONE please show me they want to wina sb. Lt's interview with faulk before the season is starting look like BS.

13. SD Native WY

Ratings:
    +334
    Re: The unveiling of the NEW 2008 Chargers.

Nice thread Conc!!!!!!! but I got to say this.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I have been saying it to myself since Norv was hired I didn’t say anything last year because I saw success in 07. But now I am saying here. NORV IS KILLING THIS TEAM. I didn’t bring it up when I first joined BT but it needs to be brought up and I think a majority of Chargers fans that have any knowledge of football had a little voice in the back of their head saying Norv is the wrong choice. I am not going to breach what Norv has or hasn’t done in the past, but what has he done and been successful at in the NFL? I have heard that he is an offense genius.....not that I have seen the plays called this year have been obvious and predictable. I don’t think I have seen a cleaver play called all year just basic run, pass, throw plays that bore me and I sure it is boring the players as well. As coach McGinty (Gene Hackman) was asked in the movie The Replacements “what is it going to take to get your team back into this game”? Coach McGinty replied, “HEART, MILES AND MILES of HEART”

I don’t see HEART from the Chargers from the top down administration, coaches, players or staff. Because if there was HEART they would have played a much more inspired game than they did yesterday even if they did lose at least they tried. Money only inspires people so much if there is no job satisfaction what do you have?

And to those that say a win is a win are wrong because its not whether you win or lose it how you play the game.

:bolt::bolt::bolt: GO CHARGERS :bolt::bolt::bolt:

• Like Like x 1
  14. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    I think Norv is individually inviting each player into his office and then sexually molesting them.

15. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    It sure looks like Norv is not helping, in fact, quite the opposite. However I still think we need to see some changes in the running game. Goff is done and has been since last year. Bench his ***, bring in big Mruc and put a fire in him. Also, Manu has been blocking like a girl (no offence to members of the beautiful opposite sex) this year. If he is not gonna start playing bring in Wilson for chrissakes.

Oh and someone coach Tolbert on who to block. What is the supposed running backs coach doing?.

16. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Wow that was uninspiring.... :unsure:

Norv has generally been a pretty capable offensive play caller for us. Rivers' is enjoying his best season this year under Norv, and there have been times that we have looked really sharp. But the difference between this team and last years team is on the other side of the ball.

No SM means our sack and turnover numbers are way way off from last year. We finished a remarkable +24 last season in the turnover department and 42 sacks. This year???

+1 and 18 sacks (on pace for 32)

Of course these numbers are intimately linked as turnovers are quite frequently a direct result of pressure at the LOS.

I realize that Norv was brought in primarily for his offensive prowess. But IMHO the head coach is just as responsible for defensive production and cohesiveness as the defensive coordinator. It was BOTH Norv and fat Teddy's job to figure out how to keep this team successful even without Shawne Merriman. Epic failure in that department.

And I hate to say it, but it looks like without Merriman the minds that develop the Chargers' game plans are simply incapable of generating QB pressure. And that is just completely unacceptable. The total failure in scheming to compensate for the loss of SM ultimately falls on the DC and head coach. Fat Teddy already paid the price... if this team continues to get dominated in the trenches I hope and expect Norv to follow him out the door.

This year is really making it appear that 2007 was either a fluke and we just got incredibly fortunate as far as balls bouncing our way. Or that SM is just such an impact player, that even with incompetent coaching he can be the difference between making the AFCCG and hoping to fall ***-backwards into the playoffs.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    ugh... i feel sick to my stomach just reading that recap. WTH is going on over there?! Where did the heart and soul of this team wander off to??? :(

18. Drunk

Drunk Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +202
    :lol:

19. SD Native WY

Ratings:
    +334
    :icon_eek::lol:

20. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Our biggest problem has been defense. Rivers is playing as well as any QB in the league and VJ, Malcom and Gates are doing the job, as will Chambers when he gets back. I'm not ready to throw anyone overboard right now, at least not until after I see what happens against the Steelers. Rivera has to light a fire under his guys and come up with schemes that account for what Pittsburgh does. His first game back as a DC, the D made the one play they had to and might not have been pushed into having to do that without a bogus call. LT should be completely back this week, with no residual physical affects and his timing back to normal. He's had openings that he took advantage of last year but is just barely missing up to now. Norv needs to get both Sproles and LT onto the field at the same time, so the defenses can't just key on LT. We'll see if someone has to go this week.

• Like Like x 2
  21. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192
    You guys are drama queens, to the max degree.

22. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    LT is right.

23. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    LT needs to STFU and play the damn game. This is two years in a row that he's been butt hurt, get over it LT, Philip is in town and there are others who can play.

24. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    When I see articles like this I wonder if LT is trying to say "give me the damn ball."

25. sportjunkee22

sportjunkee22 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    I blame all on norv... should never of gotten rid o marty... that is my answer to everything. even if it doesnt make sense

• Like Like x 1
  26. maestro876

maestro876 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +63
    I know we're all frustrated that we can't run the ball. But I think we need to take a step back and a few deep breaths.

The offensive line isn't getting any push on running plays. That's the #1 reason why we haven't been running well. The running plays are being called, but every time they are LT is already having to dodge tacklers just to get back to the line of scrimmage.

You can't blame Turner for having Philip throw the ball when that's what's working and he's throwing at a Pro-Bowl clip. You also can't blame him for throwing the ball when the defense can't stop anyone and we have to throw to come back from a double-digit deficit.

The next time we jump out to a big lead on someone, I guarantee you we will run the ball more. The next time our offensive line starts getting big time push and opening some holes for LT, I guarantee you we will run the ball more.

But as long as LT keeps getting hit behind the line and we keep getting down 21-3 and 20-37, Turner is going to call passing plays and Philip is going to throw the ball.

• Like Like x 1
  27. maestro876

maestro876 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +63
    What I would really like us to do is run the shotgun spread more, and instead of the conventional hand-off use draw plays a lot more. That would spread the defense out and give LT some more space to work with. Not to mention that if the safeties start to cheat up against that formation, Philip can audible to a pass and burn them deep.

28. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    B4L, is that you?

29. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    QFT the O-line needs to get it together.

Phillip saw something when he burned one of the timeouts, but when he tried to audible a change they didn't have the time. I know little about how plays are actually called out aside from Matt Hasselbeck NFL Netowkr commercials :D but shouldn't there be an easier way to switch it up on the fly?

ANYWAY - I'm over being worried and have stepped away from the edge [now that it's Wednesday] I can't wait for this game on Sunday :abq2:

• Like Like x 1
  30. maestro876

maestro876 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +63
    Yeah, they had problems getting the play-call in. They've been having trouble with that since last year, frankly. So I wouldn't expect it to get any better.

Maybe they will expect to have communication difficulties as a visitor, so they'll be moving faster to being with.

I'd hope, anyway.