1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

LT wrecks 'Skins

Discussion in 'Latest Chargers News & Headlines' started by robdog, Nov 28, 2005.

1. robdog

robdog Code Monkey Staff Member Administrator

Ratings:
    +268
    Source: <a href="http://www.newsday.com/sports/printedition/ny-spnfl284531223nov28,0,5284443.story?coll=ny-sports-print" target="_blank">Newsday</a>

Compiled by Ed McNamara

It was the kind of game that Marty Schottenheimer has lost so many times, especially in the playoffs. Victory was right there, only to be snatched away at the finish. But this time it happened to the other team.

LaDainian Tomlinson ran to Schottenheimer's rescue and the Chargers escaped FedEx Field yesterday with a 23-17 overtime win over the Redskins.

Tomlinson tied it with a 32-yard run late in the fourth quarter and scored on a 41-yard burst on the second play of OT. He ran for 147 for his 184 yards after halftime and had three TDs. So his grateful coach decided to proclaim him the greatest running back ever.

"I believe with a certainty, in my opinion, he is the finest running back I have ever seen in professional football," he said. "And I know people say: 'Well, what about Jim Brown? And what about Gale Sayers?'

"That's all well and good, but in the era that we're in now where you have defensive linemen that weigh 300 pounds and run 4.75, and these mammoth guys that are playing linebacker, I think ... he is the finest running back I have ever seen."

Tomlinson is the main reason the Chargers (7-4) overcame a 10-point late deficit and Drew Brees' three picks. They have won four straight.

Schottenheimer was the second former Redskins coach in two weeks to stick it to his old team. The Raiders' Norv Turner was emotional after getting back at owner Dan Snyder. Coach Marty can't stand Snyder, either, but he took the high road.

The Redskins (5-6) were distraught after losing a late lead for the third straight week. The key play was a holding penalty that forced them to try a 52-yard field goal with 30 seconds left. It was wide and short, John Hall's first miss after a 9-for-9 start.

"I'm just trying to figure out where we go from here," linebacker LaVar Arrington said.

McNamara's take: That's simple. You're going nowhere.