1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

LT's breakout game in KC

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Dec 4, 2007.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    OK, I have to ask your opinion on this.

Most of us know the frakus that LT calling Marty caused. But Marty encouraged LT to be a team leader, to take control and encourage the team to do better.

So was LT better running because of a renewed focus, and a lead by example attitude, or simply the O line getting some good blocks. LT looked less hesitant hitting the holes to me this last game, but that may be the ball watcher in me.

So what are your thoughts?

2. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820
    That you are a ball watcher. :yes:

3. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    That is general knowledge, Shammy proclaimed me Persident of Ball Watchers last year, only to give that title to Trumpy in the past off season.

So what are your thoughts on LT and the last game. Serious thoughts.... If you have any....:icon_tease:

4. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820

I thought that the o-line did a better job of opening up holes. Way too often this year the other teams defensive players have been living in our backfield. The frustrating part is that on many play everyone but one guy does a great job and the guys who blows the assigment rotates thru. I've seen Lo, Goff, Olivea, and McNeill just whiff on guys. The biggest change in our offense has been the regression of McNeill.

5. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    I agree. LT may have stepped up ever so slightly... but the o-line is making real strides. Like the o-line went from playing at like 70% to like 85% while LT went from 100% to 105%. I think LT is just a pimp and freakish athlete and even playing uninspired he should own the league. But you can't bleed a turnip and if the 5-7 guys up front aren't cutting a swath, there's not much the man can do. O-line has been much better the last couple weeks. But I agree that McNeil has really taken a step back this year. Too bad, hopefully we get that ship righted.

6. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    LT's "breakout" game was really just what he does when the line blocks for him. The blocking was better, so LT's numbers were better.

BTW, despite LT's "sub-par" year, he's still 2nd in the league in runs over 10 yards and first in runs over 20 yards.

The importance of the Marty call has really been overstated. There is no simple causal relationship between Marty's phone call and the team's play.

7. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    I think a bigger issue than McNeill is Lo Neal. He's missing alot more blocks this year. In the B'more game he was just not getting it done. I think Father Time is finally catching up with him.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Two points. LoNeal's drop off is why I'm stumping for more Burner time. Second point. Nick Hardwick is back and the O Line has gotten it's nasty back. LT has always been quick to credit the fat boys, slow to criticize in public.

9. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    On LT's second TD Rivers got the call from the sideline and in the huddle he's qouted as saying "OK touchdown boys. Block em up". The article is on the UT Chargers section.

On that play both Goff and Lo destroyed a couple people.

We're getting the nasty back folks. :yes:

10. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    I disagree, the Marty phone call prompted LT to speak to the players about buying into the new coaches, quit worrying about why we’re doing things differently than last year. Just execute the schemes to the best of your ability. This paid dividends on both sides of the ball.

And the trust issue works both ways. The more things we do well, that gives Norv and Ted a better understanding of what works, and they can play off of that.

• Like Like x 1
  11. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    I think that's BS. Players have been holding players only meetings and touting these ideas throughout the season. So Marty called LT, and Marty told LT to be more of a leader. That's great. But to say that Marty's call had some major impact on the team is pure speculation. I'm glad LT has taken on more of a leadership role. And I certainly think that doesn't hurt. But this team has been playing progressively better for the last several weeks. And that trend started before Marty's phone call.

12. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    Fully agree with this. I would like to see a midround pick used on a fullback.

13. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    I haven’t seen this progressive upward trend that you’re talking about. :icon_shrug:

This team has been up-and-down all year, it has only been in the last two games where we’ve seen consistent effort, intensity, and focus.

Right after LT took Marty’s suggestion and assumed a more vocal leadership role.

14. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Lt's resurgence is due in part to Marty telling him to get in line and play, a running back is not the leader of the offense but a key workhorse.

Since it has never been revealed as to what Marty told LT, I don't buy into the "become the team leader". I do know that whatever Marty told LT, his legs have all of a sudden got back underneath him.

I was really getting tired of seeing LT pout and go at half speed. I was really wondering if he had lost his heart. I'm glad the phone conversation between him and Marty took place, it now seems we have the LT back that we all came to love.

15. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    Looks to me like this ladanian guy is finally getting acclimated to the nfl. Took him long enough.:lol:

TEams are keying on ladanian. And norv hasn't been running smart running plays. Those up the gut running plays were a waste of a play. Go off tackle. Left or right like they did this week with a pulling guard and loneal leading the way we can get some yards via the run.

I'm just thanking the good lord that NOrv might be finally getting it. Just say no to up the gut runs. Even lombardi built his greenbay teams off of running off tackle and good blocking.

16. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Its all about the schemes and disguising them

If we as fans can predict what play the offense is going to run.

:tup:

17. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    We've won 3 out of 4 and 6 out of 8 after beginning the year 1-3. That constitutes an upward trend.

18. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Zactly!

19. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    Thank you for not doing a graph:lol:

20. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117

LT is 3rd in the NFL in rushing (2nd in the AFC), and FIRST in TD's by a running back in the NFL. Not a bad "sub-par" year. When you compare it to last year in '06, it is a sub par year, but not to his other years from '01-'05.

Actually , he had a better game against the Gayders earlier in the year. So the KC game was just a breakout of a "somewhat" slump so to speak. (It helps having Hardwick back):tup:

21. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117
    Also, LT has a legit chance at winning the Rushing title again, but most likely wont, because Peterson of Minnesota will probably win it, because the 296 he ran against us will be the deciding factor.

How's that for irony, LT doesn't win the rushing title because the SD defense gave up too many yards to Peterson:icon_huh:

22. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Right now LT is #3 in the league, about a hundred yards behind AP. In the coming games, we face the: #7 Titans, #15 Lions, #30 Raiders, and #31 Broncos in terms of rushing D's. Tennesee gives up less than 100, while Denver gives up 149+ yards per game.

Our toughest test down the stretch is Sunday. After that, it should be easy picking for LT. I mean, he's definately within striking distance of Peterson

23. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    He needs to start throwing the ball so that he can catch Brady.

:icon_eek: :lol: :icon_banana: