1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

LT's injury may be more serious

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Jan 4, 2009.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    SAN DIEGO -- LaDainian Tomlinson is perhaps hurt worse than the team is letting on, Darren Sproles is sore from all the running he did in a thrilling wild-card win, and the San Diego Chargers are worried about the weather and the Pittsburgh Steelers' defense.

Still the playoffs march on.

The Chargers finally jumped above .500 and earned a rematch against the Steelers by outlasting Peyton Manning and the Indianapolis Colts 23-17 in overtime Saturday night.

Tomlinson didn't play after scoring on a 3-yard run in the second quarter. He looked uncomfortable standing on the sideline, appearing to have a hard time standing straight up.

Asked about his short-term health, Tomlinson said: "I'm worried about my health. I'm very concerned."

The Chargers continue to say Tomlinson has a strained groin. Reports surfaced Saturday that Tomlinson has a detached tendon.

"It's a strained groin. That's what our medical report is," Chargers coach Norv Turner said.

"I don't think it's any worse, but it isn't any better," Turner said. "They said he was pretty sore around that area, probably from compensating for the injury. It was obvious once he got going, to him and to us, that he would not be able to play the way he'd like to. At halftime they worked on him, tried to get him to where he could go in the second half. But it just wasn't going to happen."

A glum Tomlinson didn't clarify the nature of his injury after the win over the Colts.

"It's a medical issue," he said. "That's all I'll say about it. I'm not a doctor, and I'm not going to stand up here and act like one."

Asked if he was advised to have surgery, he said: "I can't answer that."

Is it realistic to think Tomlinson will get better in a week?

"To be honest with you, I don't know," Turner said. "That sounds like the questions I was asking about two hours ago, you know, how much better can he get? Is time the factor? If he didn't play this week, would it be better if we were fortunate enough to win, would it be better in two weeks, where it would give him a realistic chance to be at his best?

"It's not fair to him," Turner added. "He wanted to go. Anyone that questions his mental toughness, his physical toughness, his competitiveness from a year ago, he's one of the great competitors I've been around. We've got to make the right decision and I think L.T. wants to make the right decision, too, so that's why we'll evaluate as the week goes on."

The Chargers anticipate a cold, hard-hitting divisional-round game Sunday at Pittsburgh.

"That'll be a factor in how you play the game, and when you get in those games, obviously running the ball and playing defense are critical," Turner said.

It will be a rematch of a Steelers win at home Nov. 16. Not only was it the first 11-10 score in NFL history, but it was the first of three straight losses that appeared to all but doom the Chargers.

"We did a great job defensively back there," said Turner, whose team got into the playoffs after winning the AFC West at 8-8. "We gave up a lot of yards, but we had a great goal-line stand and we held them out. We had some missed opportunities on offense.

"As I said before the Indianapolis game, I believe we're a lot better team now than we were six weeks ago or eight weeks ago. So that's going to be a part of it. You're in the playoffs and you're playing a team that's got home-field advantage and is an outstanding team. We're going to have to be at our best."

The Chargers held the Steelers without a touchdown that day, although the officials errantly took away a last-second touchdown by safety Troy Polamalu.

The Chargers fell to 0-13 in regular-season games in Pittsburgh. However, they've won twice there in the playoffs, in a wild-card game in January 1983 and a shocking upset in the AFC Championship Game in January 1995, resulting in the only Super Bowl appearance in franchise history.

Sproles had 328 all-purpose yards against the Colts, including the winning 22-yard touchdown run in overtime.

"We've got him packed in ice back in the training room right now," Turner said jokingly. "We'll let him out on Friday.

"He was absolutely exhausted," Turner added. "If we gave him the ball one more time, he would have done anything he could to get in the end zone. He's an unbelievable guy and we'll get him a lot of rest this week."

They may need him again.

Tomlinson missed most of last season's AFC Championship Game with a sprained ligament in his left knee and stood on the sidelines huddled in a parka, wearing his helmet with a tinted visor. Some people criticized Tomlinson's toughness then, but the Chargers themselves had provided an optimistic update on his injury, announcing in the press box that Tomlinson had a "sore knee" and that he "can return."

Afterward, Tomlinson said: "It's obvious that I couldn't play. If I could have played, I would have been in there."

General manager A.J. Smith did not return calls seeking comment on Tomlinson's injury.

Turner said the Chargers would get Michael Bennett ready to play more. He was signed in November.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs2008/news/story?id=3810100

2. ChargersBKK

ChargersBKK BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +4
    I'm quite excited to see 3 RBs to destroy the steel curtain!

Get well soon LT

3. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    L.T. DONE FOR THE PLAYOFFS?
    Posted by Mike Florio on January 5, 2009, 8:13 a.m.
    Darren Sproles is going to have a chance to make even more money for 2009.

As it turns out, Chargers running back LaDainian Tomlinson’s groin injury is bad enough to potentially keep him out for the rest of the postseason.

Kevin Acee of the San Diego Union Tribune reports that, at a minimum, no one expects Tomlinson to play in the divisional round at Pittsburgh.

“He might be able to play in another week if we were able to go on,” coach Norv Turner said. “Or maybe he could play in another week after that.”

Still, Turner said that the injury isn’t any worse after the team’s 23-17 overtime victory against the Colts. Tomlinson started, but carried only five times for 25 yards, including a touchdown.

In Tomlinson’s absence, Sproles rushed for 105 yards and added 45 receiving yards. (He also contributed 178 yards in kick and punt returns.)

The irony here is that, in the Chargers’ division-clinching regular-season finale, Tomlinson looked like the L.T. of old for the first time in a long time. But if Sproles continues to seize his opportunity, it could be that L.T. will go the way of Shaun Alexander come 2009.

Meanwhile, we’re hearing rumblings that the whole “torn adductor tendon” thing, while apparently accurate, was floated by L.T.’s camp based on the criticism he received after making an early exit from last year’s AFC title game with an MCL sprain. The goal, apparently, was to make him look like a hero if he played well, and not like a villain if he ended up spending long stretches of the game on the sidelines.

4. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    Stop the Public Relations BS and just make him inactive in the V unlikely event that he will be able to contribute anything in the AFCCG or Superbowl should we make it.

LT has done more for the team and city of San Diego than anyone before him. U won't hear any moaning about him not trying/whatever from me.

He is v badly injured period. If it were me (I spoke with a surgeon about the alleged injury) I'd have him moved to IR and schedule the surgery ASAP. But I know that it'd be 'nice' to just make him inactive and have him feel part of the game on the sideline the rest of the way.

BUT there is NO need to have him suit up and waste a spot that we could have for say Malcom or Tolbert or Siler.

• Like Like x 3
  5. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036

:tup::tup::tup:

6. BoltsFanUK

BoltsFanUK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +848
    :yes::tup::tup:

7. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Our entire offensive line will need to have the game of their lives in terms of run blocking.

8. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    U mean like this O line.........?

I love me some Natrone Bomb. :tup:

9. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    Is Tolbert still injured? I was surprised that Bennett was in there, though I was glad we have him considering. As dynamic as a healthy LT is, I am comfortable with the three(four)-headed monster of Sproles/Hester/Tolbert(Bennett).

10. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    Same here... After all both Hester and Tolbert were starting running backs in college. Hester is turning into a stud FB too so we are well set with the 4 of em imho. I don't believe Tolbert is injured, I was v surprised to see him inactive sunday to be honest. Like I said if LT can swallow the pride pill and wear a hoodie on the sideline I'm happy to go with the '4 headed monster'. I'd love to see Tolbert get some carries behind Hester. With the speed/finesse power of Darren we're gonna need some hammer running against this Steeler D.

11. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Norv needs to grow a sack and sit LT.

12. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117

He won't play against the Steelers. You could tell with Turner's answers, and his body language in monday's press conference. He dodged the questions the best he could and hesitated. It was obvious he was lying, just like LT in his press conference.

He was injured all year, and finally got healthy during our 4-0 december run, and now is injured more serious during the playoffs.

I feel bad for him, and feel like 2009 will be his last season for the Bolts. I just have that feeling.......:icon_shrug:

13. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    I honestly don't think LT can last a full season anymore. His body just won't allow it. If we can't sign Sproles next year, Who do you guys think will backup LT? Bennett, Hester, or do we search for his successor in the draft?

14. ntman68

Ratings:
    +139
    I honestly don't think Sproles can be an every-down back. I just don't think his small frame can hold up. I believe LT still has some gas in the tank so I would like him to stick it out for two or three more seasons. I do think, however, that they need to draft his eventual replacement in either 2009 or 2010 and get him prepped.

15. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    Yeah, I agree with Sproles being more of a situational back. It's too bad that we let Turner walk otherwise, we would be in great shape moving forward.

I do think that Bennett will play a huge role this weekend. Hopefully he'll soften up that Steelers D for when Sproles comes in.

16. megold0715

megold0715 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +70
    i agreee!!!!! everyone knows L.T is banged up period ,he needs to say i cant go right now and sit himself other coaches would be like your not playing period ,Tomlinson is i would have to say my all time favorite chargers too or tied for first with like 5 others lol but we need speed power and cutting ability

17. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195
    :tup::tup::lol: Don't count out LT. He has done
    so much for the Chargers all the years, we can get some games with him injured. He isn't too old now anf if he's healthy is smartness will drive some defs crazy. Don't throw
    him to IR. If we go to Tampa he deserves to stay on the field
    at least for one play.

18. antipsychotic

antipsychotic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +3
    My biggest concern without LT is ball security.

Bennett will be giving max effort on every play in an attempt to take advantage of the few opportunities he has left. His scratching and clawing for that extra inch will make me nervous.

19. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Well said!!! :tup:

20. ntman68

Ratings:
    +139
    Ball security? LT isn't exactly fumble prone. What exactly do you mean?

21. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    He should have done that earlier in the regular season with the toe injury.

22. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    That's what he's saying.

'Without LT' ball security is his biggest concern.

ie. with Bennett and Sproles and Hester pounding the rock, he believes they are more prone to the dropsies than LT is.

23. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
  24. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205

That link didn't seem to provide a definitive answer to his availability.

25. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    I don't think LT will go - but I do think they will keep us all hanging until the last possible moment. Why?

Not b/c Norv lacks the balls to sit LT - to force the Steelers to game plan for LT, Sproles, Bennett, Hester and potentially Tolbert.

26. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    wouldn't be in our better interest to make him inactive to get another player in there?

27. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    My eyes must be deceiving me... I swear that article changed. Maybe Norv has just mindf*cked me into believing I'm seeing things that aren't there. :lol:

Anyhoo... LT will be kept on the 53 man roster, just in case he's better by the AFCCG.

Sounds pretty much like they're shutting him down for this game.

I'd expect him to sit. Zero carries.

It really is the best thing for everyone.

28. Cheapseats

Cheapseats Loud, proud Charger fan

Ratings:
    +373
    My guess is that they will "rest" him all week and call it a "game time decision" to force Pittsburgh to waste at least 5 minutes of preparation time taking LT into account. They will probably leave him on the active roster unless he has some kind of setback.

I am working on the assumption that LT will suit but get 0 snaps in the game...and I am OK with that, unlike the start of LT's career we have lots of other offensive weapons available.

The Chargers will be fine, and LT should get this taken care of about 5 minutes after our last game of the season...which I hope is in Tampa.

Go Chargers!!!

:flag:

• Like Like x 1
  29. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    I might have him in as a decoy for a couple of plays, to set up the half back pass at a key moment, depending on how he felt. We haven't run that play all year.

30. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    He's had one season with injuries that happen to guys all the time. He hasn't lost a step when healthy. He has taken remarkably little punishment in his career because he plays smart. Next season will tell, but he has plenty left, I think. He wasn't injured till the tail end of the season last year.