1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

LT's story told in new way in documentary.

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by ChargerMike, Sep 2, 2013.

1. ChargerMike

ChargerMike BoltBruthaFromAnuthMutha

Ratings:
    +310
    lt.jpg
    In the climactic scene of the documentary, “LaDainian Tomlinson: A Football Life,” Tomlinson is talking with the great grandson of the man who owned Tomlinson’s great grandfather.
    You will be wiping your eyes well before that.

NFL Films senior producer James Weiner uses Tominson’s ongoing exploration of his family’s past to weave together Tomlinson’s journey to NFL stardom and his triumphs and tragedies along the way, allowing the story to tell itself with transitions you don’t even notice.

“I believe it’s the perfect story,” Tomlinson said by phone the other day. “… You talk about a football life. A football for LaDainian Tomlinson is this. This is who he is.”

This season premiere of NFL Network’s “A Football Life” series is Tuesday night (6 p.m. PT), and the subject is familiar to San Diego.

But even those who followed Tomlinson closely during his nine seasons as the Chargers’ best and most-chronicled player will learn at least a couple things about LT. You may even come to see differently his departure for the New York Jets and his transformation into a vocal leader and Rex Ryan devotee.

“There aren’t a lot of superstars,” Weiner said. “There are even fewer superstars that manage to stay out of the spotlight, that manage to stay out of the media glare and have a certain mystery about them.”

Weiner did not know going in that the story would be moved along via scenes from Tomlinson’s visit to the place he spent many days during his childhood, a plot of land called Tomlinson Hill, which also happens to be where his ancestors picked cotton right through their emancipation.

But the timing was such that Tomlinson’s mom had been encouraging him to do some digging into his past.

“I ran from it for a long time,” said Tomlinson, now an . “I didn’t want to look back.”

You can sense during the documentary that it is all still a little surreal to Tomlinson.

“I was thinking, like it was flashing through my mind really quickly, my whole ancestry,” he said. “Where we were standing, that very ground is where I grew up. I remember it … but I never knew (the history). It was spiritual.”

The viewer will feel the emotion, as the scene borders on intrusion without crossing the line.

And don’t worry. There is a lot of football.

Honestly, I lived through the 2006 season and would never say I didn’t fully appreciate it. I remember that stadium rocking in November and December of that year as if it were last week, though it also seems to have long been so long ago. However, the recounting by Weiner of Tomlinson’s record-breaking ‘06, using the recollections of those involved and NFL Films’ extensive treasure of footage, is exhilarating. And by the time the documentary gets through Tomlinson’s departure from San Diego, it is nothing short of emotionally exhausting.

As the documentary moves to the denouement of Tomlinson’s career, it is possible even the most bitter among Chargers fans will come to appreciate what that time meant to LT and what he meant to the Jets.

“There are a certain people, if they were never fond of LaDainian for one reason or another,” Weiner said. “I had a number of people say, ‘That film changed how I think about LaDainian.’ ”

And even if you sit down already loving him, especially if you already love him, this is worth an hour of your night to get to know him better.

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2013/sep/02/ladainian-tomlinson-football-life-acee/

2. ChargerMike

Ratings:
    +310
    Really look'n forward to check'n this out. :tup:

3. robdog

robdog Code Monkey Staff Member Administrator

Ratings:
    +262
    This series is on my TIVO so I am pretty excited to check this one out for sure. I wonder if they are going to have any "AJ" in there?

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Sounds like a classy story.

5. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,684
    I. Can't. Wait.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. ChargerMike

Ratings:
    +310
    I hope not......talk about "Buzz Kill"...sheesh.....:tdown: :poop:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I love the smell of football in the morning.

Ratings:
    +1,152
    ^^^ Huh?
    buzz harsh.jpg

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. EOTL

EOTL BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +81
    A friend of mine got to watch an advanced copy (his friend works at NFLN) and he said it's amazing. Too bad I'll be in class and can't watch it live. <_<

9. ChargerMech

ChargerMech BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +4
    Is this only on the NFL Network? Really wanna watch it but I don't have the NFL Network.

10. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +633
    What an awesome documentary, to say the least.

Really wish he could give it another go with us, but the past is the past, such a class act.

Just brought memories back of when the Chargers played the Patriots in '01 his rookie year here in New England I believe it was. And I just fell in love with the way he handled the ball, I was only 9 at the time. But also the team with Rodney Harrison and Junior Seau on the other side of the football, then Doug Flutie a BC guy, ever since then I followed and followed.

He was one of the main reasons why I became a die hard Charger fan.

11. Fouts

Fouts Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +193
    Cool documentary, beyond the game of football. It was really hard watching the 2006 playoff game footage against the Patriots. That is the single hardest game for me to get over watching the Chargers since the late 70's. Seeing all those players we had, the way we lost. uggg... :( But still incredible look at LT's life.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,721
  13. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,358
    After watching that, it was clear that LT hated Marty's firing. And while not completely stated, I got the impression that LT didn't necessarily care for Norv. In that piece, you his High School Coach, TCU's coach, Marty & Rex all talk about LT. Norv was noticeably absent.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,763
    I liked it for more than just the LT aspect of the program. Very insightful on more than just the man and his career.

15. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,684
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +447
    Does anybody know is there a way to see this on the interweb? on youtube or something? it is not available to me on Gamepass, I thought it would be.

17. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,209
    I watched this last night, had it buried in my DVR. Man what a talent, seeing him bouncing around tacklers at the LOS and making a run that should have been a loss or no gain an positive play. I agree with CBF, he didnt care for Norv, and we know he did not care for AJ.

All in all I would have loved to have seen him play his whole career in Bolts, but as He Who Shall Not Be Named (HWSNBN) says 'It is what it is'.

What really hit me what when they showed him running and a defender would get close, he would kick in a new gear and pull away from the defender. I haven't seen that from anyone in bolts recently. LT helped his OL look better that is for sure.

Glad he retired a Charger.

• Like Like x 3
  18. Kayworks

Kayworks BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +45
    Did they replay this last night? I'm hoping to see it on Youtube. ;(

19. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,209
    No I had it on my DVR. It is a great story. The guy is all class in my book.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Kayworks

Kayworks BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +45
  21. Kayworks

Kayworks BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +45
    That letter made me CRY!!!