1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Lucky Win a Loser with fans

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Trumpet_Man, Nov 13, 2007.

1. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/chargers/20071113-9999-1s13canepa.html

Lucky win a loser with fans

UNION-TRIBUNE

November 13, 2007

It was a strange sartorial spectacle. A.J. Smith, who has more Hawaiian shirts than Tommy Bahama, yesterday was wearing a long-sleeve pink job with white stripes. Not exactly Smith's style, but you know what they say: It takes a real man to wear pink.
    “I always wear long sleeves the day after we lose,” the Chargers general manager cracked.

Smith was facetiously referring to the prevailing wind around here. The Chargers didn't beat the Colts Sunday night. Indianapolis lost.

“We may have stolen one,” coach Norv Turner said, “but I believe the players believe they won that game. The right team won that game.”

But enough of that nonsense. The Chargers beat the defending Super Bowl champions. Peyton Manning threw six picks. Adam Vinatieri missed two field goals, one a basic sand wedge from 29 yards. Darren Sproles returned a kickoff and a punt for touchdowns.

Still, fans want Turner canned. They want quarterback Philip Rivers replaced by backup Billy Volek (no doubt until Volek screws up). If this had happened a year ago, the Marty Schottenheimer haters – and they were legion – would be mixing together tar and feathers and greasing the rails.

Different year, but nothing changes in San Diego. Now, wins, even lucky ones, aren't good enough. There's even talk of dissention in the locker room, that Turner has lost the club.

“Absolutely not,” Smith says. “I don't sense it, I don't feel it. I don't even know why you'd bring that up, except the offense hasn't been efficient.”

How many coaches who have lost their locker rooms go up 23-0 on the defending world champions? This team is not caving. The Chargers may have issues, but they're 5-4 and lead the AFC West. They've won four of their past five games.

I guess, when they got up 23-0, the players suddenly decided to rebel against Turner and said to one another: “Let's go out and lose one for The Norvster.” Please.

But enough of that nonsense. We are here today to speak of the Chargers' struggling offense. Turner calls the plays and Rivers executes them, and, thus far, there have been spurts and very little consistency from an offense that, with most of the same players and coaches, led the NFL in scoring in 2006.

That's the big problem now on this team. You can call for Turner's scalp. You can tell Rivers to take a seat. It isn't happening, but that doesn't mean they aren't trying to find answers.

“I meet with Norv on this all the time,” Smith says. “We're working hard to get the offense in sync. Defensively, we're gaining confidence. On special teams, we're gaining confidence. But the offense is not firing on all cylinders. I don't know the answers. We have seven more games to find the answers.”

I've had problems with some of Turner's play calls, especially on early downs, and there are ways to beat the blitzes and eight-man fronts, because other teams do. Turner has had successful offenses wherever he's been, be it as coordinator or head coach.

“People look at Norv and say his decisions are terrible,” Smith said. “I don't believe it.”

OK, so this must be a Dorothy Sayers riddle, wrapped in a Conan Doyle mystery, inside an Agatha Christie enigma. The offensive line hasn't played particularly well. Rivers hasn't either, although giving up on him at this stage would be beyond stupid. Everybody, and I include myself, gave up on Drew Brees.

“It's not really in my head, like I can't make a read, and it's not like I'm out there confused and don't know what the defense is doing,” Rivers was saying. “Ultimately, I understand we have to play better to get where we want to go, but by no means have I lost confidence whatsoever.

“You're not going to be the same team every year. For whatever reason, it hasn't come together. In spurts, we look like the group we were last year. Last year, we had spurts when it was terrible.”

Ah, but they went 14-2 in 2006, which is something to remember about Rivers. His regular-season record is 19-6. He wins. :yes: (FU leisure)

“Philip's a year-and-a-half quarterback,” Smith says. “You hang in there. They tried to run out Brett Favre in Green Bay.” :helm1:

But frustration grows because there is far too much talent – although we should remember the Colts' speedy defense held the Patriots to 10 points into the fourth quarter – to keep going 30 minutes at a crack without scoring.

“We didn't handle those guys very well,” Turner said. “We haven't had consistency. Our players understand that we all have to play with consistency, but we don't always do that.”

Why? Nobody knows, although Turner has to start sharing the blame publicly. Among the unknowing is LaDainian Tomlinson, who seems more frustrated by the week.

“I don't know,” he said. “I have no idea. Right now, we're struggling to find our identity and being consistent at anything. We're inconsistent in everything.”

Nine games in, there shouldn't be an offensive identity crisis. Just a crisis.

So, what have we accomplished here? Nothing. Let them play and see what happens. All we can do.

Armageddon is not 5-4 and first place. Only in San Diego. :lol:

2. PhilipRivers#1

PhilipRivers#1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +464
    Its great to hear that AJ has a good grip of the situation. :bolt:

3. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Sometimes when everyone sees something one way, and you see it differently, doesn't mean you're correct, just stubborn.

4. Drunk

Drunk Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +202
    It wasnt lucky. It was football. The missed FG before the 1st half ended was luck? The opening KO return was luck? the PR was luck? The missed conversion was luck? This is football, and it happens all the time. Sometimes the ball bounces your way. Be proud of the way the defense, special teams, and fans WON us this game. There will be plenty of time to tal.k **** on the offense, coach, or whetever else. I understand there are problems, but dont let yourself be fooled into thinking this wasnt an earned victory.

5. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +383
    It was earned but the probability of earning 4 consecutive victories like this in the playoffs is less than a fraction of a percent.

6. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036

:tup::tup::tup:

we gotta right this ship!!!

7. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    What is he supposed to do? Rip Norv and lose the team? We got the W, the season is half over, time to move on.

Nothing is going to be done midseason anyways, so we might as well buckle up and enjoy the ride. We will have all 8 months of offseason to piss and moan about what could have been.

8. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    This lucky win stuff is BS. Was it lucky that Scifres dropped a perfect PAT snap? Were Cromartie's picks lucky? Were Sproles' returns lucky? Was the fact that Rivers fumble didn't roll out of the back of the end zone lucky? Was the fact that the Colts picked off a pass after it bounced off a player's body a dozen times lucky?

9. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

Well how do you explain this...
    SIX INTERCEPTIONS AND WE JUST WON BY THE SKIN ON OUR TEETH!! IN FACT, WE ALMOST LOST THAT GAME!!!!

I don't care who you're playing... six interceptions should be an easy win!!!

10. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,407
    I guess Cromartie luckily intercepted three passes and Sproles luckily ran back two returns.

The Colts were lucky they even had the opportunity to miss a chip shot game winner when Rivers gift wrapped a free TD for them in the endzone.

11. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    Luck goes both ways

The Colts were lucky it was close.

12. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    The probability of 4 consecutive games resulting with the same exact events is less than a fraction of a percent.

The probability of Rivers dropping the ball in the endzone untouched in 4 consecutive games for a free TD for the opposition is less than 0.0000001 percent

13. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    6 Interceptions
    2 kick off returns

WE SHOULD HAVE KILLED THEM!!!
    WE SHOULD HAVE EMBARRASSED THEM MORE THAN THE VIKINGS EMBARRASSED US!!!

If we had no talent on our offense, that would be one thing but that's NOT the issue!!
    Fact and cold, hard fact... Norv was given the keys to a "Maserati" and he can't even back it out of the garage!!!! :icon_evil:

14. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    Look, I don't disagree with any of this, but to say they won by pure luck when the defense and special teams played outstanding games is a slap in the face to those two units.

They are a part of the game and the Chargers earned this victory.

15. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    I can flip your logic

Rivers throws 2 interceptions, 0 TDs, hands the ball to the Colts for free in their endzone, the offense can't do ****....

if you focus only on that the Chargers should have been humuliated with a lopsided score.

But, you know what? they weren't because Darren Sproles was all over the field and in the endzone twice and Antonio Cromartie made Peyton Manning his *****.

• Like Like x 1
  16. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    Ding ding ding.....we have a winner!!!:tup:

17. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

No it isn't.

As I mentioned "6 Interceptions and 2 kick off returns."
    We couldn't have asked for better from them!!!

18. pgreenbe305

pgreenbe305 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +22
    What I'm gathering from everyone's response and discussion is that both teams were lucky, and that we just got luckier (or we were luckiest)- right?

I do believe the ball bounces both ways, and I do think the Colts were very lucky that the 1st Rivers INT thrown had to bounce of each defensive player's body before it could get to the ground. That INT was just bad luck for us, or should I say good luck for them.

The Chargers dodged a bullet- at this point, I'll take it, and there's a lot to be said about moving forward. Last week is over, and hopefully the Chargers (especially PR and the offense) can come out and show us that they're for real! :abq1: :abq1: :abq1:

19. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    :tup:

20. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    :icon_evil:Stop talking about me like I am not here!:icon_evil:

21. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    I agree. The offense played like ****. But that doesn't mean it was a lucky win. We earned the win. Vinateri missed two figgies equaling six points. The Colts got a gift TD and we missed an extra point for a total of eight points. If anything, the Colts were luckier than we were.

22. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    The Cliche' Machine Says: "Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good"

23. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    Dude can you please stop making sense with a rational approach? It's a little much for some. :unsure:

24. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    Exactly. They did an outstanding job and you're saying the team won by luck despite this.

How come it's ok to say the Chargers were "lucky" but the Colts weren't lucky it was even close when something beyond their control happened that almost never does? (Rivers handing them a free TD)

Nevermind an INT that bounced off a guy's legs twice to keep from hitting the ground.

It is a slap in their face because, after watching them pick off the (at least) 2nd best QB in the NFL 6 times (something that's never happened to him before) and Sproles run a kick and punt return back for a TD in one quarter (something that's only happened once before, ever) you're saying the team "got a lucky win" because the offense was horrible.

25. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Sorry I'll quit it. I should just say "Phuck Norv and Ted. Bench Rivers. Trade LT. Fire AJ!"

26. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    :icon_party::icon_party::abq2:

Add in:
    "Move the Chargers to Stockton!!"
    :lol:

27. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    Yes the offense sucked against the Colts.

Yes the offense being horribly putrid against the Colts is the reason the game was close when it should not have been.

But offense is only 1/3 of the game and the other 2/3rds of the Chargers game was outstanding.

They earned the victory by overcoming the horrible play of the offense.

Luck my ***.

But yes, they do need to address those offensive woes.

28. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

How often does Vinateri (or any average kicker) miss a field goal inside the red zone?

Now I give much credit to our special teams and defense but that doesn't change the fact that this was a lucky win!!!!
    Colts got a gift TD... SO WHAT?!!!!! They didn't win!!!!

Some of you talk as if "We showed you!! Norv IS the Offensive Guru!!!"
    Again, fact and cold, hard fact... Norv was given the keys to a "Maserati" and he can't even back it out of the garage!!!!

29. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    How often does Rivers....how often does any quarterback hand a free touchdown to the opposition by dropping the football in the endzone for them untouched?

Like I said, the luck goes both ways.

There's 60 minutes in a football game. Don't pretend the last minute where Vinateri missed the chip shot is all that matters.

So luck only matters when the team wins?

They were lucky that it was even that close.

You're not even paying attention, are you?

Show me one post in this entire thread where anyone says the offense was any good.

Hell, show me one post where anyone even says Norv is good.

I'm just saying it's a slap in the face to the TEAM to say they won by luck because one of the three faucets of the team couldn't do ****.

30. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    We came very close to losing and had we lost, this would all be meaningless!!!
    Colts got some lucky breaks but they lost.

If Norv continues to regress our offense, we're not going anywhere this season and that's the cold, hard fact!!!!
    Defense and special teams can't ALWAYS bail you out!!!