1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Major Concerns I See.........

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by LT-Express, Nov 7, 2011.

1. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +434
    I am fed up with all of the same senseless garbage about Norv Turner every week. I am one of the biggest critics of this guy but for some reason feel like I spend most of my week on this site defending the guy, when I could be using it to help with other stuff on the site. Well here are 3 major concerns I have right now NOT NORV TURNER!

1. Injuries- Against the best team in the league we were missing, easily our best O-Lineman in Dielman, easily our best pass rusher in Phillips, Ryan Mathews, Malcolm Floyd amongst others. This team showed serious sack today missing some of their best players.

2. Teams absolutely DO NOT fear our running game. Not in the slightest bit. I watch teams rush 4 and drop 7 and our rushing attack still has a hard time breaking big plays. Ryan Mathews can't stay on the field to save his life the kid is made of glass. In almost every big time game he is on the sideline. Mike Tolbert while I love this guy to death, is slow and non agile so unless it's an obvious short yard run, teams are content with just keeping the game in front of them so they drop 6 or 7 into coverage.

3. Now because of #1 & #2. Phillip Rivers is having to force the ball into situations he shouldn't be. Hence the reason why he has so many Int's this year. This guy is missing some of his outlets, and is also throwing into A LOT of disguised coverages.

Sorry. But I am not ready to send Rivers packing like I have seen most of you say after last night's loss. The guy is still one of the best in the league. Look at Brady, and Brees this year. Both are having a significant amount of unlikely turnovers. You think it's time for their organization to get rid of them? Gimmie a break.

As long as Philip Rivers believes in Philip Rivers so will I.

• Like Like x 8
  2. Lancer 1

Lancer 1 Eternal Optimist

Ratings:
    +341
    True, that!

Philip is really struggling right now, and has been all season but we’ve seen how good he can play, and hopefully will again soon.

I don’t care if he throws 25+ picks this year, as long as we win enough games to get into the playoffs, and he takes us deep into January, and hopefully into February as well.

3. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    Strange how the O line seemed strong yesterday missing its 'best O lineman'. Just saying. Kind of opened my eyes somewhat.

4. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +434
    The O-Line did play well no question there. However, they folded at the end. So are you saying the Dielman is not the best on our line? I mean it's blatently obvious that it's not McNeil, Clary, or Vasquez....so it has to be between Dielman, and Hardwick.

5. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    Not at all. I have always thought Dielman is the best we have (with Big Mc running him close). Just thought, wow, Green must have played real well because as a group they were very good. Vasquez seems to be coming on too.

6. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +434
    Ok..gotcha. I read it wrong then. My apologies. I think Vasquez is going to be good. McNeil scares me.....he is soooo good at times and then against the likes of the quicker pass rushers Hali, Freeney etc....he gets abused.

7. Moses

Moses Can You Stand The Rain?

Ratings:
    +358
    Injuries are part of the game, it happens to a lot of teams, guys who are playing need to be ready to step up, which i think we saw a lot of yesterday.

As for the run game, Tolbert wasn't fully healthy, the O-line was missing Dielman, Mathews didn't play, but still i thought we had a respectable outing, and this season haven't been bad either.

The problem in my view is the passing game. I think Rivers has improved and started to look at times pretty decent particularly the last 2 games, but the turnovers are costly. Part of this is on play calling and part on bad judgment / execution by Philip. I think even having a partially healthy Gates has helped him.

On the whole I think we'll be ok, we're starting to play a bit better, there's a lot of positives to take from yesterday's game, if we play like that against Oakland, or most other teams in the league for that matter, then we get a W.

8. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +90
    You can continue to turn a blind eye if you want to...thats your perogative.

Let me ask you a question? Who is responsible for ensuring the Chargers have a running game?

9. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    AJ Smith.

10. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +90
    I agree with you. AJ should be reponsible for getting the right personel to have a running game, but surely it comes down to the coaches to ensure that it is emplemented correctly and efficiently.

Seems strange that this area is over looked as the running game is apparently so important to Norvs offence.

11. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Shoul Norv be in there as FB to open holes to? What more would you like Norv to do the keep mathews on the field, Tolbert getting more yardage and Brinkley getting something? Norv is calling a balanced offense, so what is it you want? Tolbert to suddenly be Emmitt Smith?

12. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +90
    What balanced offence? When you say balanced offence, do mean an equal amount of running plays with passing plays? Cause there doesn't appear to be anything balanced about the Chargers offence at the moment.

I would like Norv to coach the hell out of this team and get them run the F'ing ball! If you think that the Chargers coaches are doing an adequete job at getting our team to run the football then I say your either lying to yourself or blind as a badger hehe lol

13. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,726
    I know that Tolbert was named the starting RB yesterday, but I don't think there was anyone else, including Brinkley that was in the backfield besides maybe Hester.

14. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +434
    lol turning a blind eye? I can't stand Norv Turner with passion. However, as soon as this team loses no matter how they lose most charger fans are quick to put the blame directly on Norv Turner. At some point it's not the scheme, it's not the play calls it's the execution. And that is on the players. The fact that AJ Smith has put the pieces in place (Ryan Mathews), Mike Tolbert, Re-sign Dielman, Re-signed McNeil, Hardwick, went out and got Vazquez....shows that he put the pieces they thought were right for them there. Now it's on Norv who has been a little bit not much better about mixing up his play calls. However, it is very hard to put a good gameplan together when your pieces to the puzzle are built like glass (see Ryan Mathews).

All in all our lack of running game is not ALL Norv's fault it's the execution on the field. So you can go ahead and keep turning a blind eye to everything else other than Norv thats your perogative. :)

15. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    It's the easy thing to do, especially when you have the blind, irrational hatred of the guy that a lot of Charger fans do. This is not to say he doesn't deserve heat at times, but not nearly as much as he gets.

I honestly believe that if every single thing that has happened in Norv's tenure, everything, had happened exactly the same way with Jon Gruden at the helm, he would not get nearly the sh_t that Norv does. Gruden looks better in front of a mike, he's more intense, fiery, so more people would give him a little more rope.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Google is your friend. Go look at the number of plays, I believe you will find your perception does not match the reality of the play calling. Over 42% of the plays the Chargers have run this season has been RUSHING PLAYS. That is with us trailing in almost every game.

17. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +271
    The biggest concern is something u left out. The penalties...

18. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Very good point. Although some of them are not the fault of our players...

19. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +271
    yeah maybe some, but most of them are how many false starts, neutral zone infractions, and defensive pass interference calls have we had against us the past 3 or 4 games.. its pathetic... hate norv all you want but its the players responsibility to line up onside, know the count, and not commit pass interference... as much as im a Jammer fan he never plays the ball he runs with his back turned to the play every time which is always gnna get flagged... thats the one thing i do like about cason at least he looks back for the ball

• Like Like x 1
  20. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 Winners Win

Ratings:
    +942
    Bring Lorenzo Neal out of retirement.. RIGHT NOW

oh while your at Junior Seau too..

and Rodney Harrison - Btw this guys so fake, he forgot were he came from.. guy foams at the mouth when somebody bad mouths New England - ******* Fraud

21. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +90
    I wonder what Norv says to the players after they commit a penelty, drop a pass, miss a block etc.. Do yoou think he comes down hard on them? Challenges them to not do it again?? or does he just say "don't worry about it son, just try harder next time."

22. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    Someone mentioned it above already but I was surprised Brinkley did not get a look in sunday night?. After turning him into LT the previous week i.e. put everything on him at the end of the game, he was back to just another guy trying to keep warm in the rain. Sometimes I just don't get how Norv decides/does not decide to play guys.........

23. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    The thing is, only the Norv supports believe thing would have been the same. I was never a fan or Gruden, in fact, I don't want any coach that has HC experience, IMO they are all retreads. But I do believe that even Gruden would have done more with this team than Norv has, even with the ****** drafts that AJ has had. We may not have a ring, but we would have seen a lot less stupid mistakes, mental errors, and things that just leave you scratching your head.

24. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +271
    Idk but that brings up another whole question.. do our players wanna win? i would hope so...

25. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,726
    From my vantage point directly behind the bench, someone like Rivers approaches him, says something, maybe Norv responds, but mostly doesn't. I am thinking that Norv might leave a lot things that need to be said up to his coordinators. After the INT's, Rivers would get a little animated with some of his receivers, maybe asking them if they remembered their routes or to look back for the ball...