1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Malcom Floyd April Fooling FB?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Apr 1, 2013.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,190
    https://m.facebook.com/pages/Malcol...&refsrc=http://search.yahoo.com/mobile/s&_rdr

On his facebook page he is saying he was traced to Cleveland for a 3rd round pick...

2. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,610
    That'd be my first thought.

Although sadly...I'd happily take a 3rd round pick for him.:D

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +633
  4. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +771
    I love M80 and all but I'm a little bummed this isn't true

5. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Hall of Fame

Ratings:
    +223
    I can't believe some of you guys. M80 rules. If we had a better line, Rivers might actually have found him on occasions.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +900
    I like Floyd, I wouldn't trade him for a 3.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. jackfrost

jackfrost Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,054
    Someone please tell me just ONE player who could be had in the 3rd rd of this years draft, that's a better "Pro WR" than Floyd ?

[​IMG]..... Your dreamin' !!!!! :rolleyes:

8. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,610
    Probably Quentin Patton, that guy is gonna be a stud, and will cost 1/5 what Floyd will to carry on the roster.

9. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,054
    I don't believe a "probably" at this point will cut it Matti ..... taking into account our dwindling offensive production over the last few years, I certainly don't see any upside in replacing a player like Floyd at this stage of River's career, at least they have many years of chemistry together, that is one of those intangible assets, that NO ROOKIE is going to bring to the table any time soon.

No way I'd even think of trading Floyd at this stage, it's up to this new coaching staff to figure out a way to use him more often than Norf ever did, get this the guy the ball more often and all he'll simply do is make catch after catch, if utilized to his fullest.

10. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,610
    So you don't see any upside in replacing a 32 year old receiver who is always on the IR by December?

I like Floyd, but loyalty is overrated. He's a long/lanky a build up speed type receiver, which makes him a limited receiver.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +771
    Our 11th and Cleveland's 68th would be enough to move up to get one of the top 3 Lt's in the first round is far more greater than trying to figure out who we can replace Floyd with. I would go up to Floyd, Shake his hand, thank him for his services and bid him farewell.
    The thing is we have 6 WR's on our roster who all posses the same kind of talent. Give Rivers enough time to throw the ball, I promise he'll build more chemistry with any of them than he ever has with Floyd.

12. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,054
    The whole "always on IR" argument is greatly overemphasied and embellished for starters and NO, I don't see any upside in using a draft pick on a WR at the moment, when we already have a proven player in that position, who has a long history with the current QB ............. What ?.....32 is over the hill for a WR now is it ? ..............Mmmm, interesting take that one Matti, well if thats the case, maybe we should be looking at packaging Gatesy and M80 for another Meach-type perhaps, seeing as that move set the world on fire and that type of player would be all thats available come December.

Far more important issues at hand than replacing current WR's I'm afraid ................. in all seriousness, it ranks about 8th as a position of need for this team at present.

13. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,054
    Shirley this is meant in jest !!!

Name me 3 (of your supposed 6 :rolleyes:) current WR's on this roster who could play Floyd's role and I may just have to pencil you in as the early favorite for the "Most Delusional Charger Fan" award B4l, let alone 6. :D

Let's see ..................Alexander, Meachem, Royal, Brown, Goodman, Willie, they must be the "6 on our roster" your talking about, correct ?

OK, I'll give you a fighting chance seeing as I'm such a good sport ......... Name me 2. ;)

14. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +771
    Oh I'm just saying we have plenty of WR's that never exceeded 1,000 yards before

But if we are to play this game, I'll go ahead an say:tdown: ..........................DX, There's Vincent Brown, and to be fair we saw this first hand, 2011 Malcolm Floyd was hurt, Vincent Brown was out there playing in his spot, caught 5 balls for 97 yards 1 touchdown (should have been 2 but the ref said his foot was out of bounds) and Royal Who played in Floyd's spot last year when he got hurt.

Im not dissing Floyd, I really like Floyd but I'm not going to pretend we would be worse off without him. His best attribute is going up to the highest point and catching the ball, that's all fine and dandy, I'll call him when my ceiling fans need dusting. We have plenty of @$$hole's on our team that can probably catch 4 passes for 60 yards consistently. Floyd is a very good number 2 WR. Brown, Royal, and even Meachem are very good number 2 WR's. None of them may ever be a true number 1 (the jury is still out on Brown) which puts them @ the same tier.

And what did Baltimore get for Anquan Boldin? a 6th?? And thats for a guy who has skins on the wall, Getting a 3rd for Floyd would be tremendous value. To add to what you wrote to Matilack, 32 is very old to any position that isn't QB, a Kicker or Long Snapper. Many WR's and RB's lose a ton of burst @ that time, and only some continue to find success after that age, so your package Floyd and Gates for Meachem comment is pretty comical. If Phillips (32) Abraham (34) Freeney (33) Vanden Bosch (34) Seymour (33) Harrison (34) were @ 27/28 years old. Do you really think the market would be this slow for any of them? Don't you think the market for Jennings (29) and Welker (32) would have been greater than it was? I may be delusional but you gotta admit, this kind of make a little bit of sense.

But back on point, The argument is name 3 who can step up and replace Floyd I just did.

Your Rebuttal Please...........................................

And for the sake of argument please don't counter with words like "Favorite" or "Chemistry" (because that's all people can think of when saying reasons to keep players)

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,610
    I'm not sure why you're being a dick about this, I'm just saying I think Floyd has peaked, and that he was tailor made for Norv's scheme. And no his injury history is not overemphasized, he has played 16 games only 1 time in his 8 year career and he's finished the last 3 on IR......and you're talking about giving him the ball more....why would injury history not be important?

We'll keep him and that's fine, I'm just saying I wouldn't turn down a chance to get younger for a guy who may not even start for us, and who we definitely can't count on his presence late in the season.

Who says we even need to replace him with a rookie? I would be fine with using that 3rd we'd get on an OLB, ILB, OG, OT, or a backup RB.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,610

Agree completely. In fact I would go so far as to say I expect Alexander and Brown to win the starting jobs, with Royal in the slot role. Floyd would be valuable depth, but not necessarily essential to our success.

Also do not forget LaDarius Green, dude has some serious physical skills, he might take some balls away from Floyd as well either as a TE, WR or a hybrid of both like Jared Cook or Jermichael Finley.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +633
    Think what I'm about to say, has already been said.

But anyways, Malcolm Floyd for a 3rd rounder? Your crazy if you don't take that. A 32 year old, who has never stayed healthy his whole career, there are plenty of options in the 3rd round that will be better than him or at least equal his play.

Markus Wheaton, Da'Rick Rogers, Aaron Dobson, Ryan Swope, and Stedman Bailey will all be around in the 3rd. Don't even mind Kenny Stills or Tavarres King.

And we already have Danario Alexander, Vincent Brown, Robert Meachem and Eddie Royal. Two of those players can at least start, Alexander I'm not sold on as WR1 just yet due to his knee problems.

If Philip Rivers has time, he can make average receivers look good.

18. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +771
    And to be fair, I do believe Floyd may have been overvaluing himself just a tad. His post didn't have as much negative effect on me as much as Weddle's when I read that one.

I Like Floyd I really do, always been one of those come in do your job type players, and he's a likable guy. I will cheer for him as loud as any other fan on this board while he's on the Chargers, but I also wouldn't lose any sleep if he were to go either.

19. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,405
    Of course, some people are forgetting that it took an "elite" WR like Vincent Jackson 3 years before he even developed into a consistent performer. Now a vet like Alexander came in and had instant success with Rivers, but that's very unusual. Meachem had the whole preseason to get on the same page with Rivers, and he couldn't do it.

Sure, you could draft a guy with a 3rd round pick and hope he catches on quickly, but if he doesn't (and that's the case more often than not), who's Rivers going to target in the meantime?

Yes, we want to get younger, and we want to draft another WR, but getting rid of a player that Rivers has years experience working with is not going to improve the team this season.

20. NatroneBomb

NatroneBomb BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +3
    Maybe if it was Floyd and our #11 pick for Cleveland's #6 and with it the guarantee that we can get at least Fisher or Johnson in the draft. Now that's something I'd have a hard time saying no to.

21. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +633
    And what about in 2010, when he completed passes to 10 different WR's? Those receivers were - Legedu Naanee, Patrick Crayton, Buster Davis, Seyi Ajirotutu, Kelly Washigton, Gary Banks, Richard Goodman and of course Vincent Jackson and Malcolm Floyd.

Only 3 of those guys were a 3rd rounder or better. Many undrafted or late round picks (5-7). So if you can bring in a 3rd rounder, like Vincent Brown was, who could have a rookie year of 20+ catches, 300+ yards and a pair of TD's like Brown did his rookie year, then I'm happy. And Browns draft wasn't as crowded at WR as this years draft.

Not to mention, Floyd fits Norv's vertical passing game, I highly doubt we will make Philip Rivers take deep drop backs with, possibly 1-2 rookies starting on the offensive line. It's going to be quick dumpoffs, screens, etc. I see a lot more shotgun as well, and hopefully guys like Ladarius Green, Eddie Royal, Vincent Brown, Robert Meachem, and Danny Woodhead will be utilized correctly. Not to mention you still have Antonio Gates who is a trusted target, and if DX makes it through camp he seems to be a trusted target as well.

With the talent some of these kids have at WR that will be there in the 3rd, they will be absolute studs, I really like Da'Rick Rogers in the 3rd, kid is a 1st rounder, but due to his expulsion from Tennessee 2 years ago he'll drop.

But at the end of the day, this isn't going to happen. Malcolm Floyd will be here in 2013.

22. NYCharger

NYCharger BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +69
    Who the **** was Gary Banks? Also, I like Da Rick Rogers.

23. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,405
    Yep, nobody is giving us a 3rd rounder anyway..... thus it's a moot point. ;)

24. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,610
    First of all Floyd is not, nor has he ever been "elite", he is a complementary receiver, and in truth he's kind of a one trick pony.

Secondly, we have plenty of other options in the form of Mathews, Gates, WOODHEAD, Alexander, Brown, Royal, and even LaDarius Green. And who's to say Meachem won't take a big step forward this offseason, are you writing him off completely because he wasn't an instant success?

Lastly, assuming we even would take a WR with the pick we added (no guarantee we wouldn't trade it or draft another more important position), you don't take a WR in the 3rd round with the expectation that they will be come "elite", or even that they will have an immediate impact. Its a long term move to get younger, save some money, and maybe cut ties with Floyd before his performance falls off the table....the Patriots do this to their WRs on a yearly basis.

Point is Floyd is not the difference between making the playoffs and staying home.... ironically he'd have missed the last 3 playoffs regardless as he was on INJURED RESERVE anyway.

25. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +633
    I'm going to make my first prediction of 2013......... Danny Woodhead catches 50 balls this year.

26. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,054
    So, just to be 100% certain here, your saying Brown, Royal and Meachem are all capable of replacing or playing the exact same role that Floyd has filled in his time here ?

Yep, you've just firmed to odds on favorite for that title I mentioned previously if you believe that ...... :D

I shall keep an eye on their production and get back to you throughout the season as to how your prediction is panning out. :tup:

27. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,054
    Oh Matti, if I were being "a dick" as you so finely point out, trust me, I wouldn't be this civil to you my friend. :)

I have no problem with your opinion about Floyd being past his best, that in all likelyhood is a given that even I can agree with, but seeing as this franchise is in a rebuilding mode, rather than contending anytime in the near future, I see no reason as to why you wouldn't keep a solid vet, who's effort and heart have never been questionable, around until his use by date is completely passed by, no real downside at all really.

Players who play the way Floyd do, are far more prone to injury than those that avoid contact Matti, thats just part of the game that no one has any control over, its certainly not unusual for a WR who's game relies on acrobatic feats to cop rather serious injury's, comes with the territory wouldn't you say ?

28. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +771
    I never said Meachem now did I? and You having no valid argument to say they couldn't so you're just going to assume you're right and I and the other are wrong and start making delusional accusations.

Tell me what does Floyd have that the others are lacking? He's had 8 season with Rivers the other's have not but yet the production has been the same.

And again, what you wrote in the post above makes it seem like you've just read that off the back of a crack jacks box. And I'm the delusional one. Please keep me informed on the progress through out the season.

In the end this was all a pointless argument, Floyd is here to say and we'll all be cheering for him on Sundays anyways. I just would rather have a true number 1 WR than to have a "player who plays the way Floyd does"

29. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +633
    Also, while Norv was here, some rookies didn't get to play because they had solid vets in front of them who already knew the system in and out. This year is different as the whole offense will have to learn a new system, so its basically whoever plays the best and understands the offense the best gets a starting spot, so 2013 rookies have an advantage.

Unfortunately for Floyd, he only became a starter under Norv's system and scheme. So we'll see what he's all about in 2013, it could be for the better or worse.

30. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,610
    Sure I would say. I would say Floyds style of play gets him hurt...when he's hurt he's not here...when he's not here he has no value to us....which is of course something I considered when I said I'd happily take a 3rd round pick for him.

There are a lot of sub 1000 yard receivers who both jump really high, and don't end up on IR every year, who can also run something other than a 9 route.

I like Floyd I really do, he will probably have a decent season, but his value to other teams and us decreases with age and injury.