1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Malcom Floyd April Fooling FB?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Apr 1, 2013.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,528
    Yep, he's a "one trick pony" who in 2011 led the entire NFL in yards per reception (19.9). He was 4th in 2009 and 2010, and his career average of 17.1 places him 5th among active WRs.

It's certainly Floyd's fault that we missed the playoffs the last three years. If only he had played with an "elite" WR like Jackson, we'd have made it every year. But hey, he's old and often injured, so cut his ***. :rolleyes:

2. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,774
    You nailed it! Those stats are exactly why I consider him a one trick pony, it shows he's good for deep balls and he rarely if ever catches a pass less than 15 yards. Thank you for proving my point. (BTW I find it ironic that you used stats after criticizing me in the past for it)

Floyd's fault we missed the playoffs? I'm pretty sure I JUST SAID Floyd is NOT the difference between us making the playoffs and staying home. Reading comprehension...try it sometime.

3. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,528
    Could you detect sarcasm if it hit you in the head? :rolleyes:

The last time I checked, the point was to move the ball downfield and score. The more plays it takes to accomplish that, the more chances a defense has to stop you. You're the first person I've run into who thinks that catching long receptions is a negative.

I'll stop "arguing" with you now, as I'm sure you're tortured logic will only put me to sleep. :sleep:

4. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +636
    Except most corners can take that deep route away from Floyd, and you don't need double coverage to do so.

If your receiver has 1 attribute to his game, he isn't going to do you very good. Again, Floyd excelled in Norv Turner's vertical passing game, we'll see what he does in 2013 when he's asked to adapt to a different offense.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,528
    Why do you think Floyd is among the top in yards per reception, if it's "easy to take that deep route away"?

I've yet to see a CB who can out jump Floyd...... please enlighten me. ;)

6. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,774
    Deep passes are not the only way to move a ball down a football field!!! And if it becomes a players "bread and butter" and he can't develop a short game (as Floyd hasn't) it is easy for opposing DCs to eliminate a player like that from a game plan. I never said Floyd's ability to come down with bombs was a bad thing, I said his dependency on it was, his lack of versatility.

I'm sorry I try to be polite and civil, but you are wrong about almost EVERYTHING! It is astounding how little you actually know about football, and then to see you get so arrogant about it is jaw dropping to me. At first I thought you were blatently putting words in my mouth when I backed you up against a wall...but now I honestly think you believe what you're saying.

You are an amazing person blue, I am truly dumbstruck right now at the conversation we're having.

7. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,774
    Oh and something I'd like to add....arguing through sarcasm is STILL ARGUING.

You're like that small kid on the playground who picks a fight with a bigger kid...and when you realize you're about to get knocked on your *** you play the "I was just kidding, I was just kidding" card....and then 10 minutes later you're picking a fight again.

8. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +636
    Well he averaged 14.5 a catch in 2012, which isn't in the top 10, and that 19.9 number from 2011 you can credit it to him lining up against CB2's and also teams game planning for Vincent Jackson and Antonio Gates, and rather live by the 20-30 yard reception or two Malcolm Floyd gets in a game. Also, those numbers are a bit skewed because of the handful of games he missed, had he participated that number most likely goes down.

He had 2 100 yard games in 2012.

I've yet to see a corner out jump Calvin Johnson, but is that getting the Detroit Lions to the post-season or getting them more wins? No. If anything, it makes Philip Rivers want to force the ball to Floyd, sometimes resulting in INT's.

Also, Malcolm Floyd tends to disappear when we need a "big" catch from our "WR1".

9. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,528
    Having Jackson on the other side didn't hurt, certainly, but having a totally ineffective Meachem did hurt.

You do realize that last year we had a terrible O-line (don't tell Matty). When our QB has 3 seconds (or less) to unload the ball, you aren't going to get a lot of deep routes completed. That fact should be obvious, but I'm pointing it out nonetheless.

When Floyd had the #1 yards per catch average in 2011, our O-line wasn't that wonderful either, but it wasn't as bad as last year. So, one might surmise, that Rivers' down production and his WRs down production might be linked to the O-line play. Give Rivers a line that can protect him for at least 4 seconds, and you'll get more deep balls completed...... it ain't rocket science.

10. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +636
    Its easier said than done. It looks like we're gonna have only 1-2 starters return to start from last year's O-line, and we're gonna have at least 2 rookies or 2-3 new comers.

So, what my main point is, as of right now, doesn't look like a fit in our offense. McCoy and Whisenhunt like possession receivers, ex. Larry Fitzgerald, Eric Decker, Demaryius Thomas, etc. Sure they can go deep, but there asked to make the tough catches in the trenches and also go over the middle first. Haven't seen much of that from Malcolm Floyd in his career, and his game is once again, tailored to a vertical attacking offense, which has left town, thank God, it was getting old.

11. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,528
    My hope, is that McCoy won't just install a vanilla system, but will tailor the offense to what his players do best..... in Floyd's case, that means some deep throws should be in the mix.

Now, I'm not blind, I know Floyd is getting old, and staying healthy has been his knock, but he's 6'5", jumps like an NBA player, and has enormous hands that CATCH the ball. Speed is wonderful, but give me a guy who can catch the ball at the highest point and hold onto it.

Jackson was a fast, big body WR, but the guy still caught way too many balls with his body. He wants to cradle the ball, more often than not...... that gives the CB a chance to make a play on the ball. Floyd goes up and gets the ball before the defender even has a shot at it..... that is a skill set worth having on the team.

Durability is the only real problem with Floyd..... it McCoy is smart, he'll find a way to use him.

12. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +636
    Oh course he will, I'm not saying he won't, but how can you expect Floyd to run a deep route with the fear of Philip Rivers getting his head clocked off, fumbling, or forcing a pass to Floyd? I feel like we saw that a lot in 2011, more so than 2012, because he felt like he had to get the ball down field to VJ and Floyd.

Who knows, guess time will tell!

13. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,528
    If it's not painfully clear by now, that the team's #1 priority is fixing the O-line, then everyone in Chargers Park needs their head examined.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Stallion1994

Stallion1994 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +16
    Why? Because his logic and reasoning is different from yours? Isn't that the point of a DISCUSSION board? It's not like he's a bandwagoner (HEAVEN FORBID). None of us are experts here, which is why we tend to use facts and rationality in our arguments (oh jeez, facts and rationality! We're only supposed to think without our brains!) and try to come up with long-term solutions that might help the team.

I say we keep Floyd. I like the fact that we have rookies on this team that might have some good potential, but why not keep a veteran on the team so we can let those rookies develop over the years when we become a legitimate playoff contender again?

Also, if we did trade Floyd, most of our receivers are incredibly inexperienced or overrated (Meachem, anyone?). Why put all of them up against experienced corners at the beginning of their careers? So they can get stuffed at the line or lose valuable passes?

15. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,774
    No not at all, if he was just disagreeing with me that would be one thing. But in this case he doesn't understand why a receiver who can only be effective deep down the field is a bad thing. That shows a lack of general football knowledge. He also doesn't seem to understand why a player being put on IR the last 3 years might be a red flag.:rolleyes:

And again, just having a childlike knowledge of the game as Blue does would not cause me to pummel a guy like that. What actually sets me off about the guy is the incredible way he goes about NOT admitting he's wrong. He actually (and stunningly I might add) tries to belittle the people who just handed him his own *** on a paper plate, and when that doesn't work he will put words in your mouth and accusing you of saying outrageous things, and when that doesn't work he will play the "oh I was just kidding, don't you recognize sarcasm" card. We have a lot of good intelligent fans here at BoltTalk, but Blue is not one of them.

BTW I do like Floyd, he does have value and I know we'll keep him, but if we were offered a day 2 pick it would be hard to turn down given his age, durability, and inability to play the short game....simple as that, thats all I was ever saying.