1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Malcom Floyds Goals

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Jul 15, 2007.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    http://chargers.scout.com/2/646344.html

The key for Malcom Floyd has always been health. After battling nagging injuries during his first two years in the league, he stayed healthy enough to make the active roster and play in a career-high 12 games in 2006, catching 15 passes for 210 yards and three scores in the process. Now, instead of merely challenging for a roster spot, he hopes to challenge for a spot in the Pro Bowl.

Malcom Floyd has come a long way his rookie year, when he was a raw, underdeveloped player from the University of Wyoming. That progress was made evident during last season’s amazing 49-41 comeback win over the Cincinnati Bengals, when Floyd caught five passes for 109 yards and a touchdown.
    “That was the craziest comeback I’ve ever been a part of,” Floyd said. “We were down 21-0 but we just kept fighting. We have too many competitors on this team to ever quit on a game.”

Because of that competitive spirit, Floyd is one of many Chargers with Sept. 16 circled on his calendar, the day that San Diego gets its rematch with the New England Patriots.

“I think everybody remembers the way they disrespected us at the end of that game,” Floyd said. “I’m still mad about it and I hope to use that when I get on the field.”

Of course, Floyd wasn’t on the field for the playoff loss against the Patriots, having been placed on injured-reserve with an ankle injury. He hopes that with another year of learning under receivers coach James Lofton that he will be ready to be a difference-maker in the rivalry’s second round.

“I would have really been hurt if Coach Lofton left (amidst the coaching turnover),” Floyd said. “He has taught all of us receivers so much. I mean, he’s a Hall of Fame receiver. Why wouldn’t you take advice from him?”

Lofton’s coaching is but one reason for Floyd’s development. Another is the strong veteran leadership he has been exposed to courtesy of Eric Parker and former Charger Keenan McCardell.

“Eric and Keenan taught me so much about how to prepare for the game. They do such a good job of taking care of their bodies, using the hot tubs and cold tubs and things like that,” Floyd said.

Now, Floyd hopes to put it all together – the experience, the coaching, the body preservation – and turn in his best season as a pro.

“I have big goals: Super Bowl and Pro Bowl,” Floyd said. “I definitely have Pro Bowl talent. The key is to stay healthy.”

If he can do that, he might just lift an already healthy Chargers offense and make it downright sick.

2. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    I met Malcom a few weeks ago at a bar in OB. Cool cat. I was pretty hammered, and he still took the time to answer my drunken questions. Way cool.

3. Bawl Movement

Bawl Movement BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +4
    The Chargers WR crew will surprise the league this year. A.J. said that VJ needs to become a true breakout #1 WR for the team "to go where we want to go" and I think he will do that. I don't expect big things from Davis in '07 as a WR but he should contribute as the slot WR and hopefully impact the return game. Parker and Floyd are always effective when they are healthy.

Alright. First post is out of the way. Great forum folks.

4. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    Welcome to the forum.

I agree with your post, with the obvious exception being Parker's production during that damn New England game. Still pisses me off just thinking about it.

5. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I think Malcom can be our go to guy if he stays healthy!!

6. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    May be a little early, but hopefully...VJ/ Floyd in the future = Harrison/Wayne.

7. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Goal #1: Stay healthy.

8. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    Im thinking more like the Bengals
    VJ/Floyd/Davis = C. Johnson/TJ Houshyomama/Chris Henry (minus the off the field stuff)

I know its very wishful thinking, but the potential is there

• Like Like x 1
  9. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,748
    I don't think it's unreasonable to think that at all. I can see VJ and MF blowing up this year together, as long as they're on the field.

I expect Davis to contribute, but I think we'll see more of VJ/MF/EP than VJ/MF/CD.

10. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    I want to see the wishbone with LT - Turner - Gates or VJ.

Then I want to see LT in the slot with Turner as an I-Back.

Then I want to see LT and Turner in a double slot (4 or 5 WR set) empty backfield formations.

Then I want to see Turner throw an option pass.

If Norv opens up the playbook ...........:bolt:

11. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,748
    All would be cool. Make the other team **** their pants.

We've been waiting for SOMEONE to open the playbook, might as well be the guy who wrote it.

:tup:

12. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    One of the offensive players (Gates I think) made a comment "I did not know I could do that".

It struck me as an odd comment because these are professionals and I would have thought Norv would have shown Cam all the twists and tricks to pass along to the players.

I guess what I am saying is that Norv is tweaking **** that is leading players to make those sort of comments and if that is happening then the defenses will indeed be ******** themselves.

I see the lightning and hear the thunder.

13. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Message to the NFL-Danger, Will Robinson, Danger! These guys apparently let the lessons from Lofton begin to sink in toward the back half of the season. Floyd got hurt, but now he's worked himself into a tougher body, Jackson is learning how to play the ball instead of being played, Craig Davis could be the best athlete among the receivers with the possible exception of Floyd and legedu Naanee, unless my psychic about trying him at safety are heard and heeded, is a joker in the deck. Of all the crop of rookies, he's the one that most intrigues me.

:unsure:

14. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    True, last season I saw the Bolts Recievers putting one of Loftons tricks to good use. That is they would turn catch the ball, and instead of turning again, they would run back towards the LOS a few steps and swing back around. This allowed them to not lose any momentum, and got good YAC.

15. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    I like all these ideas, but the wishbone/veer package has been tried before, and the problem is that in the NFL you don't have the critical mismatches you do in college ball. It requres a QB like Michael Vick and a lot of practise to get the timing down. The Chargers run an option with LT, but even with that, it's not used too often. I seem to remember that Naanee started out as a QB, so if anyone was going to run it, it might be him. If anyone could have made that college system work in the NFL, it would have been Switzer, but he and his system self destructed in the pros.