1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Man are we thin at d-line!!

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by 14fouts, Dec 16, 2009.

1. 14fouts

14fouts BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +11
    Good thing we play 3-4 and not 4-3 nemore-anbody know the availability of all of our d-lineman and the expected rotation against cinci sun?

2. IFiredCHart

IFiredCHart Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +96
    Cesaire-Scott-Castillo will likely start out, which has proven to be OK...Castillo is really grasping the role of a 3-4 DE in this rotation, IMO.

T. Johnson has been solid, Martin will likely see time, and Boone will likely be available.

Oh well, that is the beauty of the 3-4--the line doesn't need to be spectacular; each member simply needs to do his job: occupy linemen and allow the backs to make plays.

3. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    It's worked but I don't think this is a long term plan. We need to seriously reload players at DL this off-season

4. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,424
    I don't think it was the short term plan to have Jamal and Bingham both on the IR either.

5. TCHDNSD

TCHDNSD BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +28
    I thought I heard Boone was "out"?

6. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    No game status listed at NFL.com yet. I think I heard he is questionable for the game.

Name Position Injury Practice Status Game Status
    Alfonso Boone DE Knee Did Not Participate In Practice --
    Nick Hardwick C Ankle Did Not Participate In Practice --
    Quentin Jammer CB Toe Did Not Participate In Practice --
    Travis Johnson DE Groin Did Not Participate In Practice --
    Shawne Merriman LB Foot Did Not Participate In Practice --
    Shaun Phillips LB Ankle Did Not Participate In Practice --
    Mike Scifres P Groin Full Participation in Practice --
    Eric Weddle S Knee Full Participation in Practice --

7. sickswonnyne

sickswonnyne Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +79
    I used to think so too, but do we really?

I know Jamal is getting up in years, and a successor is needed, but this rotation thing should be permanent for next year too. We don't need guys who can play 50 snaps, we need guys who can go all-out for spurts and keep each other fresh. No superstar needed, unless King Kong Nuh drops to us.

So for next year we have:

Jamal Williams (NT)
    Luis Castillo (DE)
    Jacque Cesaire (DE)
    O.G. Nwegbuo (NT)
    Vaughn Martin (NT/DE)
    Travis Johnson (DE)
    Ryon Bingham (NT/DE)
    Alfonso Boone (NT/DE)
    Ian Scott (NT/DE)
    Antonio Garay (DE)

for 3 starting positions and 4? back-up ones.

Who do we keep?

I'm hoping Vaughn Martin and O.G. can be the successors at NT, and even play together. They need seasoning, but who better to learn from than Big Jamal? Next year, the young'uns should keep Jamal fresh for the end of the season.

Castillo has been playing his best ball, and is the only constant on the line as of now. Cesaire is a great supersub/ rotation guy. And Bingham has been on this team for so long 'cuz of his versatility.

Out of the new scrap-heap guys, Boone and Scott know Rivera's system, and have been solid. Travis Johnson was a 1st rounder who can finally reach his potential. Garay is just a fill-in and is definately gone.

If we're going with 7, it could be JWilliams, Castillo, Cesaire, OG, Martin, Boone, and TJohnson.

We can save those draft picks for a stud O-line, LT's successor, and maybe a Cromartie replacement, if it goes down that way.

8. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    Boone is expendable if we pick up someone decent in the draft. Having said that I'm going with your 'magnificient' 7 too.

If Bingham can get himself healthy for once I am keen to see what he brings. He was going to be a starter this year until the injury. He has never got consistent game time.

9. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Beef, it's what's for drafting.

10. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Even with all those people the idea as well is to get more effective players then to have a rotation of decent ones. I'd like to find a better nose tackle in the draft, finally get someone who can be Jamal's real successor (maybe Terrance Cody). Martin will keep improving, let him continue to play and learn. Scott/Williams could keep the inside locked down. Cesaire/Bingham/Castillo/one more might handle the outsides ok.

11. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    DL is one position the draft sites are saying is deep in 2010.

|
    |
    \/

12. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    on offense, I'd go with a RT and that's it, the two alphabets have proven to be solid backups and the other four starter are good

on D a NT would be good, I'm thinking OG and Martin should contribute a lot next season and into the future

so 2, maybe 3 linemen total, 1 RB, 1 CB and best player available (depends a lot if there's a CBA or not, and who's resigned/stays one more year)

13. Rule12b

Rule12b Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +116
    NT has to be a top, as in #1, draft priority, period. If there is a Ngata or Wilfork to be had. . .we have to try to get him.

14. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    SILENCE! I concur.

We've needed a backup for Jamal for years. This year we have paid the piper for our insolence.

We need a large hard stool to bind up the middle.

15. Rule12b

Rule12b Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +116
    Myah! the migger the nik, the metter!