1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Man Behind the Mask: Gartrell Johnson

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Aug 26, 2009.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

By Morod Shah
    8 - 26 - 2009
    Chargers.com

Running back Gartrell Johnson, one of the Chargers’ three fourth-round picks in April’s draft, is a powerful, downhill runner on the field. Away from it, he’s a soft-spoken movie buff who loves nothing more than a peaceful day at the beach.

What’s your favorite thing to do off the football field?
    “I’m a big movie fan. I love to watch movies packed with a whole lot of action. Being a football player, action is what drives me so that’s what I look for in films. My favorite movie is Smokin’ Aces.”

What do you use as motivation before a big game?
    “I really just like to sit and focus on my task and the things I’ve learned to do in practice. I know most guys like to listen to music to pump them up or read a book to calm themselves down, but for me, the thought of 11 guys trying to take me out is enough motivation.”

What’s one thing you’ve picked up from LaDainian Tomlinson[​IMG] in the short time you’ve been around him?
    “The thing I’ve learned the most from him is how he carries himself on the field. He actually likes to check in with the defense during practice to see what everyone is doing. He’ll go over to the defensive backs and see what they are up to and then he’ll go talk to the safeties just to get an idea of how things are working so he can use that information to better his own game plan. That’s definitely something I’m trying to pick up on.

What is the thing you love most about your hometown, Miami Springs Florida?
    “Well the beach is real close to where I live so I like to go there on my off time. Also, with Miami being so close to Cuba, there is amazing Cuban food in Miami Springs. Those two are definitely my favorite things about my hometown.”

Being from Florida, how did you end up going to school in Colorado?
    “Coach Sonny Lubick is a championship coach so when he came down and recruited me it was so amazing. He had a lot of studs at Colorado State and when I went to go visit, it seemed like a great fit for me. I had a great career there and loved getting to play at Colorado State.”

Growing up did you have a nickname?
    “My buddies call me ‘G.’ That’s about it really. My family just calls me Gartrell.”

During the offseason when you can eat whatever you’d like, what is your favorite meal?
    “Ever since I was little, I’ve loved spaghetti with marinara or spaghetti with meatballs. I could eat that everyday if I had to. It’s my favorite.”

What was your first job?
    “As bad as it sounds, I’ve never had a job. My job has always been football my whole life. I work hard at it all the time so I consider it my full-time job. It has definitely paid off for me, especially recently when I signed my contract.”

Tell me about your favorite childhood sports moment.
    “I used to play sandlot football when I was younger with guys that were way older than me and who were bigger than I was. I must have been like ten or eleven years old and I remember scoring about five touchdowns and catching balls left and right. They could never stop me. That was a cool moment that made me realize that I’d been blessed with a gift.”

You recently turned 23 years old, what did you do to celebrate?
    “I was back home in Florida so I hung out mostly with family and friends. To tell you the truth, I’ve been so focused on football that I was pretty low key this year. Mostly I hung with family and friends at the beach out there.”

2. Chargers4lyfe

Chargers4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +9
    Gartrell Johnson is a BEAST! Im glad we got em on our team :bolt:

3. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    I haven't been real impressed with Gartrell's running so far, but I am sure he will improve with time and experience. He sounds like he has a good head on his shoulders.

4. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    I thought this was going to be a Predator vs. Johnson thread...

:icon_shrug:

5. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195
    He'll make his way, even when he runs as our 4th Back.

6. Osmekaman

Osmekaman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +31
    Avenging Jack Murphy takes a fun look at GJ's own web site.

Don't know how to do a link (techno illiterate!)

7. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    :icon_rofl:

8. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    Hes not going to get much better. Im sorry but RBs with 4.81 speed dont turn out to be anything more than short yardage backs, and so far hes shown he isnt going to break that trend, and sadly hes also shown he doesnt have the power to be a great power back in the NFL

9. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Given time and weight work, he could probably pick up another 12 pounds without loosing speed. He'll get bigger and stronger if he sticks with the team and at 230 he'd be a good blocking back as well as an inside runner.