1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Man behind the Mask: Vaughn Martin

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Aug 4, 2009.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Feb 7, 2006

Rick Harpin
    Posted 44 minutes ago

Chargers rookie defensive end Vaughn Martin is in the midst of making the jump from Canadian college football to the NFL. Chargers.com gets under the mask to learn more about what makes him tick.

Growing up you didn’t actually start playing football until the 10th grade. What inspired you to begin playing at such a late age?

“I was really active when I was young, and I liked contact sports. I played hockey and a little bit of basketball. I was actually just standing there one day waiting for one of my friends who played football, and one of the coaches approached me and was like, ‘Do you want to play football?,’ and I was like, ‘Sure.’”

What is the most significant difference you notice between the Canadian and American game of football?

“Obviously besides the different rules, the American style is more aggressive, more balanced. In the Canadian game there’s a lot more passing. It’s more hardnosed here and a lot tougher.”

You were born in Jamaica. When was the last time you visited, and is there anything you miss from your childhood there?

“I visited Jamaica just a couple years ago. I do miss it. I miss the whole spirit about the place. It’s really laid back there. It’s kind of like that here in San Diego, too, so it’s nice.”

You said you also played hockey when you were younger. Who is your favorite hockey team?

“Toronto Maple Leafs all day! I also like the Red Wings, but Toronto is my favorite team and I don’t care what anybody says.”

On game day do you have any pre game routines or superstitions that you perform before you hit the field?

“I do everything on the left side first. If I’m putting my gloves on, it’s always the left glove first. With my socks, it’s always the left sock first. The same with my belt. I’m kind of weird like that. I also don’t like when people touch me. It just bothers me for some reason.”

What has been your favorite thing about San Diego since you have moved down here?

“Other than the football, my favorite thing is the weather. I do not miss the cold at all. . I don’t miss the snow one bit. Snow is the most useless thing to me. I don’t ski or do any of that stuff..

After playing in Canada for so many years, how good is your French?

“It’s terrible! It’s pretty bad. I am definitely not bilingual.”

Being on a strict practice and workout regiment, are there any types of “junk food” or any other guilty pleasures you can’t live without?

“I like Jamaican food a lot and it’s not exactly the best thing for you. I found a good place in San Diego actually. It’s called Island Spice.”

What’s playing on your iPod right now?

“Yo Gotti and Gucci Mane.”

What’s the most recent movie you watched?

“The Curious Case of Benjamin Button.”

What’s one TV show you don’t miss?

“Man vs. Wild.”

What’s one word or phrase you say a lot?

“I can sleep when I’m dead”

What’s your favorite video game?

“Mario Kart for Nintendo 64.”

What’s your favorite car?

“1973 Caprice

2. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Jul 27, 2007
    Man, that's serious Old School right there!

3. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Feb 7, 2006
    What did you expect, he's from canada... :lol:

4. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Wonder if he listens to Warren Zevon? :lol: