1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Mangini agrees to 4-year deal

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Jan 7, 2009.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    The Cleveland Browns have agreed to hire former New York Jets head coach Eric Mangini as their head coach.

Mangini, fired last week by the Jets, agreed to four-year deal, a source close to the situation told ESPN.com's Michael Smith.

Mangini is being represented by agent Ron Shapiro, who is Mangini's father-in-law.

The 37-year-old Mangini began his NFL career in Cleveland. He started out as a Browns ball boy and was later a public relations intern. He has never forgotten his football roots. When the Jets played the Browns in recent seasons, Mangini bought a catered lunch of Italian food for Cleveland reporters.

Mangini was dismissed after the Jets collapsed by losing four of their final five games. He went 23-25 and made the playoffs once in three seasons.

Mangini has ties to the Cleveland area. He is the brother-in-law of Cleveland Indians general manager Mark Shapiro.

Mangini's hiring could also lead to former head coach Romeo Crennel staying with the Browns, perhaps as their defensive coordinator. Crennel, fired after the team went 4-12 this season, told owner Randy Lerner he was open to staying, depending on who was brought in to replace him.

Crennel and Mangini worked as defensive assistants on Bill Belichick's staff in New England from 2001-2004.

Information from ESPN.com's Michael Smith and The Associated Press was used in this report.

2. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    That's weird: Crennel's replacement is Eric Mangini again! Eric Mangini - cleaning up Romeo's messes.

3. boltmanbz

boltmanbz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86
    Rob Ryan will be Mangini's D coordinator

4. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    I thik the Browns eushed into this. They should have at least let the GM get in place and let them get a say.

5. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    True :yes:

6. auctoritas

auctoritas BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +40
    That is probably true.

I also think that the Jets rushed into firing Mangini after the forced Bret Farve on him. I'm glad he's getting another chance...

7. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I agree. What kind of signal does this send to a GM prospect? Seems to me it already compromises his role to some degree.

8. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    The Browns appear to be eternally linked to Patriots coaches....Belichick, Crennel, and now Mangini.