1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Manning and Jackson in Denver?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Mar 11, 2012.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,412
    Denver's plans depend on Manning decision
    By Bill Williamson

The Peyton Manning sweepstakes may be winding down and two things are becoming apparent.

The Denver Broncos have a real chance to change the landscape of their organization, and theKansas City Chiefs better make a push for Manning if they want him. ESPN’s Adam Schefter and Chris Mortensen reported Sunday that Denver and Arizona appear to be the favorites to sign Manning.

They reported that other teams can get still get in the picture, but they quoted one source as saying his “gut is that Manning is leaning toward Denver." The report suggests Denver may have an advantage because Manning has a relationship with Denver football czar John Elway and head coach John Fox. Manning visited Denver on Friday and then went to Arizona.

Chiefs owner Clark Hunt has said the team is interested in Manning, but there haven’t been any reports that progress is being made on that front.

There is a chance Manning could make his decision in the next couple of days. The Broncos, I think, would like to see a decision made prior to 4 p.m. ET Tuesday when free agency begins. The Broncos’ needs and approach to free agency would be different if Manning is a Bronco.

While the Broncos could very well look to trade Tim Tebow if Manning is signed, Tebow could still be in Denver’s plans if the rare opportunity to sign Manning fails. Thus, Denver’s needs on offense will be completely different depending on who is the quarterback.

If Manning is signed, watch for Denver to gear up the passing game and go after receivers (Reggie Wayne, anyone?) and another tight end (Dallas Clark, anyone?) -- basically do what it takes to try to win within the two- or three-year window that Manning, who turns 36 this month, would be in Denver.

For example, I think San Diego receiver Vincent Jackson -- who is from Colorado -- could suddenly be an option in Denver if Manning is signed. If Tebow is the quarterback, Jackson would not be an option. If Tebow is the quarterback, Denver will look to upgrade the running game much more than the passing game.

We will find out soon enough which direction Denver is going, but it appears it has a strong chance of moving forward with one of the best quarterbacks ever to play.

• Like Like x 1
  2. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Peyton in Denver = Chargers 2-0 already.

3. jackfrost

jackfrost Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,378
    So now the Chargers are all of a sudden competent and capable because of where Manning plays ?

Where'd that logic come from Matti ?

4. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Clearly you're not aware of either Manning's record against the Chargers.:rolleyes:

Even 100% with all his men running his offense we own Payton. Now at 36 after 3 neck surgeries in a new place with new schemes and new players and new terminology...I like our chances to sweep the Broncos better with Manning than with Tebow.

5. boltfanatik

boltfanatik Toxic Minority Member

Ratings:
    +112
    The Charger defense that "owned" Manning is long gone, I don't know why folks keep insisting we own Peyton:confused:

6. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,378
    Ohhh, I see, so your one of those that thinks that because we had the wood over him whilst at Indy, that its sure to be the same situation at a completely different franchise.

Like I said earlier................nice logic Matti. :rolleyes:

7. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,412
    Peyton, not Payton...... and we "owned" him with a different team. What makes you think there is guaranteed carry over?

Not only would the Broncos get Manning, but they would also be able to trade Tebow to Jacksonville for even more picks. They have a ton of cap space to add more free agents. Don't be fooled, the Broncos already have a very good defense, and a top QB plus some WR additions would make them a real team to contend with.

8. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,378
    Will you stop with the facts ..................where's the fun in that ? :)

9. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    I just told you didn't I? We owned Peyton when he was winning MVPs in the comfort of the offense he'd been running for over a decade, surrounded by recievers and coaches he knew and trusted. If you think he's going to step off the bus in Denver and be 2006 Colts Peyton Manning you're crazy. He's going to have to learn new terminology, develop a rapport with new recievers and coaches, and play on GRASS too boot. Not to mention regenerating the strength and flexibility in his arm (if it ever returns completely).

And what is the going rate for a backup QB who can't complete 50% of his passes when the team that possess him no longer needs or wants him around? They'll be lucky to get a 5th, in fact I'd bet you they keep him because they don't want to release him.

10. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,412
    How many of those defensive players who "owned" Peyton before are still on the team? We have a brand new DC..... to expect that the past will simply carry over to the future is not only wishful thinking, it's delusional.

Really, you're smarter than that...... or so you keep telling us. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  11. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    And do you think the Peyton Manning that won 12 games every year is still around?

I'm gonna bet no.

12. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    I am smarter than you thats for ****** sure. Anyone who thinks Peyton is still MVP Peyton deserves a slap across the head for such stupidity. I expect maybe a Jay Cutler level QB at best, who will rape the Broncos for 20M a year over the next 2 seasons and then retire.

13. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,412
    I never said he's the same Peyton Manning. Who knows if he can be the same QB he was, but he'll be a damn sight better than Tim Tebow. If they add some legitimate targets to throw to, then Manning could still be effective enough with their defense to win the division.

The Chargers are more likely to bleed talent this year, rather than upgrade its declining roster...... and trust me, you're not smarter than me. ;)

14. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,583
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  15. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings:
    +1,583
    I will add this: just knowing that Teblow may be leaving Denver, or at the very least being replaced, fills my heart with such delight! Such turmoil on a team in our division after the McDaniels debacle...ya can't help but laugh.

16. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,378

:roflmao: ...................Good :poop: !!!

BLEW 1 ...... Matti 0 ............. [​IMG]

Lets get ready to rumbbbbbbbbbbbbbble.

Someone's gonna need a good sprinkling of this here shortly.

[​IMG]
    Be liberal when applying Matti, it works a treat (so I'm told ... :whistling: )

17. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    So you're agree he won't be his former MVP.....yet you're willing to use the "our defense isn't the same" line? Peyton has never had success against us, and there is no reason to believe he start now.

And don't forget the Broncos were chuck full of BS last second wins last year. Hell if Marion Barber stays in bounds or Prater misses one of those monster FGs the Chargers win the division. And go back and watch the DEN/MIN, DEN/NYJ games as well as our loss to them, they are far from special. Their running game will take a step back as they adjust to Peyton's offense, and their defense is still (as usual) below average.

18. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings:
    +1,583
    If the Cards want him, they have a lot of work to do:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-theyll-need-to-scramble-to-create-cap-space/

And does anybody know how "carrying over" last year's cap space really works?

19. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings:
    +1,583
    For me, it was when they played Miami. The dolphins couldn't recover an onside kick, which lead to a Bronco victory.

• Like Like x 1
  20. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Perfect example, I can't believe I forgot that one. The Broncos were a 4-12 team (or worse) who flat out lucked their way to at least 4 wins. Where most who actually watched the games would argue the other team did more to lose the game, than the Broncos did to win.

I would be much more concerned if the Chiefs landed him. They have legitimate YOUNG talent on both sides of the ball.

21. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,378
    Hell of a lot "if's" in those posts Matti ..........

here's the ONLY fact that matters when its all said and done.

Regardless of "how" they got the job done, they still won the Division and made the playoff's.

Would you feel bad if we "lucked' our way to the PO's (e.g 2008) or would you somehow put it down to some other unforeseeable mystical force ?

22. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,412
    Peyton will have to recover effectively, and have decent WR added to have the same offensive success that he had in Indy. He won't need to be that good however to win games in the AFC West. The Broncos defense is better than you're giving them credit for, and they ca run the ball. They have a ton of cap space (reportedly $43 million), so they could add a few quality free agents besides Manning.

Peyton knows he's not got a lot of time left, so he'll go to the place that gives him the best chance of winning another Super Bowl. He won't be making $20 million now, so there will be plenty of money left for offensive upgrades. The Jags are desperate to sell tickets, so they will give up more than a 5th rounder for Tebow...... bank on it.

23. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings:
    +1,583
    Denver looks good to get Manning, moneywise, as the Broncos have the second most cap space:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...o-free-agency-with-49-9-million-in-cap-space/

24. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings:
    +1,583
    Broncos are confident:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/12/report-broncos-95-confident-theyll-get-peyton/

25. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,412
    I thought the Broncos were the front runner as well....... we'll know soon enough, Manning reportedly will decided by Tuesday.

26. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    Essentially it was the new CBA's answer to the LTBE loophole that had existed previously:

If we could, you know, actually go a season without having to sign umpteen and fifty injury replacements we might actually have more than the piddly $4-ish million to carry over in a given year - though we've been pretty well spending up to the cap a number of the last five or so seasons even when not battling mass injuries.

Just because teams can carry over space doesn't mean they will. The owner still has to be willing to fork over the actual cash and commit it in contract. Tampa are expected to be doing this. Denver is another likely candidate, and I haven't seen the figures but I anticipate Arizona may be doing this as well because it was, from what I'd read, what they'd counted on to cover Kolb's roster bonus in the event they opted to pay it. Cincinnati, on the other hand, has a cheaper than dirt owner who very likely won't even spend 1/3 of their available cap this year because the CBA doesn't force his hand and implement a salary floor until at least 2013.

As to how the Cards could/would create cap room for Peyton though... two words: Larry Fitzgerald. The guy did it once before to facilitate the team re-signing Kurt Warner, I'd be fairly certain he'd have little issue doing it if it meant bringing in Manning.

The darkhorse that could still play the Tom Condon trump card in all this is Miami - as Stephen Ross is another in the Al Davis/Jerruh/unbridled-Dan-Snyder mold who will have no problem committing oodles of guaranteed money to Manning to get a marquee name at QB. And that's where, I believe, Pat Bowlen may bow out no matter how much Elway wants Peyton to allow him to sneak Tebow out of town.

27. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Redskins are reportedly prepared to "break the bank" to get VJ.

28. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Titans preparing for visit from free-agent QB Peyton Manning

The Tennessee Titans are entering the Peyton Manning sweepstakes and are expecting as well as preparing for a visit from Manning in the next day or two, league sources said Monday.
    The Titans entered the Manning picture Sunday when owner Bud Adams told the Tennessean that he is ready to do whatever it takes to sign the four-time MVP, who recently was released by theIndianapolis Colts.
    "He is the man I want. Period," Adams said. "And the people that work for me understand that. They know who I want. I want Mr. Manning with the Titans and I will be disappointed if it doesn't happen."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000...t-qb-peyton-manning?module=HP11_breaking_news

29. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,412
    He just woke up this morning and decided that? :D

30. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    See, I don't see "break the bank" offers as being all that impactful, if VJ's a man of his word having already been reported to be willing to accept less money to stay a Charger, unless certain other parameters are met too. Washington are prepared to break the bank because their team hasn't had more than 9 wins in any season for the past decade-plus, because they're asking any receiver to be subject to a rookie QB (who no matter how you spin in pretty much always experience growing pains), and having to play outdoors in cold weather for at least 1/4 to 1/3 of the games each season.

Call me nuts, but I get the feeling that part of the reason VJ is reportedly willing to take less money (provided that certain benchmark for pay is met) to stay in San Diego is Rivers, but the other part is that his wife is from So Cal, her family live in El Cajon, and gut feeling tells me she's not the biggest fan of the kind of winter weather you see in areas like D.C. and Chicago. Then you throw in that when it comes to his wife, VJ is whipped - he really is, every time I read a quote from him referencing his wife it always comes across.