1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Manning Cheater TD?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Fouts, Jan 5, 2009.

1. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Ratings:
    +345
    ok, it was a heads up play by Vet future HOF... But, I'd like to take credit to saying this quote prior to the Bolts vs Colts Game:

I know, the game is over, we won, but something tells me we may see this team again in the future playoffs. It has become a rivalry.

Also, Ron Rivera was arguing that they substituted, so we should have been given time. Is this the case?

I also heard on Scott N BR, that Rivera did not chastize the D, but got them together to pump them up, and play smarter. I like Rivera, and what he has done with the D! :tup:

Fouts

2. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036

I had heard something along those lines.

But, the play that pisses me off even more is the pick play the Colts run two or three times a game.

THAT PLAY, IS ILLEGAL!!!

:icon_evil::icon_evil::icon_evil:

3. LaDeezie21

LaDeezie21 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    There is nothing wrong with Manning getting a TD on a short snap. That's just being smart. Our defense should of been ready for that since they know he's that type of QB. There really is no excuse for that.

I also heard about Rivera not getting on them about that play and it was a smart thing to do. The defense was playing great and they got caught napping. It was embarassing and there was no need to add any fuel to the fire at that point. I actually see it as a sign of respect. Manning wasn't able to generate much against our defense and felt that the only way he would get some positive yardage was by catching them during transition. He did what any good QB would do and our team responded like any other good team would in return.

4. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    It doesn't matter guys, cheaters never prosper (except the Pats) We won despite those incidents. And yes, Rivera has done a remarkable job I totally agree! :tup:

5. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    It is exceedingly rare to see that calls by the refs. It is illegal as hell and many many teams get away with it.

**** I have seen them use the refs to "pick" and you would swear it was by design. :lol:

6. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    I do not see a bit of difference in Rivera or Cottrell. I know it is the mantra of the day but I disagree. The D stats only show a very neglible difference for the better. Most of it has to do with Jamal getting his **** together.

Rivera let his boys get abused on the trick play. WTF?

I do not dislike Rivera. I like him. I just do not see a difference the way all fans are slobbering over the "new and improved" defense.

The crazy asss pre-snap reads Rivera used were pretty much the same crazy asss pre-snap reads we used against the Colts last year and the year before.

7. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,407
    What is this "pick play" everyone's talking about?

8. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    There was no one play which stood out in my mind. They just run it multiple times. It is not legal to pick an opposing player. Bastards almost always do it on shallow crossing routes. We do it as well. :lol:

9. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,407
    I'm not very savvy with football terminology.

What do you mean "pick an opposing player"?

10. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036

24 points.

That's the highest point total against us since the bye week.

Before the bye week? 37, 29, 39, ....

looks like an improvement to me

no?

:icon_shrug:

11. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    the wr set's a pick ala basketball on the opposing db that is trying to cover his dude

12. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    That is where a WR (it can be whoever is running the crossing route) will bump - take out - sort of unintentionally - a defender in pursuit of another player. They call that a "pick".

It is illegal for a WR (TE, RB etc etc) to knock a DB off his pursuit route. It used to be just a block but rules were put into place because it was "too successful".

13. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    A lot of people focus on yards. We gave up a bunch of them. But the only stat I give a **** about is points allowed, and that we allow at least one less than the other guy.

14. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    TRUE DAT!!

15. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    I was thinking about the overall defensive rankings. We did not move but maybe 2 or 3 spots if that. It was not much and to that I attribute to what I was seeing. The front 3 was playing for **** especially Jamal. As the season progressed, the defense got better but not because of "the change." It was because the fat boys started earning their paychecks. Jamal had to play himself into football shape. That is quickly forgotten and in a 3-4 defense, you do not dismiss it lightly. Never. Unless you post here. :lol:

I see it differently. Too many fans wanted a scape goat. I declared the season OVER when we were at 2-3 :icon_eek:

..... and then I gave this team the greatest call since Babe Ruth when I said we would get into the playoffs in a hideous yet glorious fashion when we were 4-8. The same way I said this Colts playoff game would go into OT :yes: and Nate would get a gorilla off his back.

I am the prophet. :abq2:

16. chargerlipz

chargerlipz Leading the league in nose hairs.

Ratings:
    +151
  17. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Look... this is a coaching issue.

Rivera saw this happening and his team was not adjusting. He or Norv should have called a timeout.

Better yet, he should have had his team prepared for this scenario.

Cro is a mental midget, but this comes down to poor preparation.

No other way to look at it.

18. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192
    The play where Manning was sacked on 3rd and 2 was a total pick play that the defense was ready for. Clark was blocking the corner down field right after the snap.

19. chargerlipz

chargerlipz Leading the league in nose hairs.

Ratings:
    +151
    Ted Cotrell:
    Total defense average-372 yards per game
    Points allowed per game-24.9

With these averages if Cotrell was our DC the whole season our defense would be ranked 28th in allowed yards and 27th in points allowed.

Ron Rivera:
    Total defense average-328 yards per game
    Points allowed per game-18.5

With these averages if Rivera was our DC the whole season our defense would be ranked 15th in allowed yards and 6th in points allowed.

In a game of inches this is a highly significant improvement.

20. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    With no accounting for the improved play of Jamal Williams. :icon_shrug:

Our defense with Rivera taking over the second half is ranked #25 overall. We were 29th or so with the fat man. Not very impressive in the big picture. When adding the fact Jamal literally played himself into shape in a 3-4 defense, there is more than just the numbers. :yes:

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categoryst...sonType=REG&tabSeq=2&qualified=true&Submit=Go

21. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    The first time that happened to us the first game the announcers made the comment that once the defender comes up to "bump" the WR that the pick is no longer in affect because the defender was the one who initiated the contact first.

22. antipsychotic

antipsychotic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +3
    I don't think it is illegal if the DB is at the LOS and makes any contact with the WR within the 5yrds. Another WR can then cross over within the 5yrds and make contact with that DB.

23. megold0715

megold0715 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +70
    yeah they dont call em unless the chargers are the team doin it lol

24. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    I am not sure if that is true? :icon_huh:

A defender can bump a receiver within the first 5 yards and after that if the WR "picks" another DB, it is still illegal. Otherwise, WR's would always "un-intentionally" blast the **** out of a defender on shallow crossing routes. That is the way I understand it.

25. megold0715

megold0715 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +70
    the difference is were winning with rivera's schemes and with cotrell the team would have been sitting at home watching denver play the colts on sat.i like how he has everyone moving around on the defense you dont know whos coming where there coming from etc. the ravens do that sht and its working, oh by the way fk denver

26. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Correct. They can beat the hell out of each other for the first 5 yards.

27. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Let's not forget the improved play by Big Jamal

:lol:

28. antipsychotic

antipsychotic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +3
    Chargers could not simply burn timeouts whenever Manning went no huddle.

Don't get me wrong I am as down on Cro as the next guy but this was not his fault.

Watch the replay you can see that nearly the entire D was turned facing the sideline. That whole Right side of the D had their backs to Manning. The players on the left side of the field had the advantage of looking at the sideline while having Manning in their peripheral vision.

29. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820
    :icon_rofl:

When others fail to give you props, give yourself props. I love it when people quote themselves.

30. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    I hear ya. I wish I remember exactly what the scenario was but it eluds me at this moment. Something like 2 WR's lined up next to each other (now I'm not sure if this is only in affect within 5 yards or not) and on the snap the DB bumped WR "A" and then WR "B" picked that DB (within the 5 yards) thus supposedly making it legal. Atcually it may have been the NE game we played earlier this year.