1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Manning Threw Cutler's Diabetes Monitor in the Pool

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by rexy2006, Feb 5, 2009.

1. rexy2006

rexy2006 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,842
    All is going swimmingly for QB, pranks for asking

First-time Pro Bowler Jay Cutler likes the company — even that of a Charger.
    By Mike Klis
    The Denver Post
    Posted: 02/05/2009 12:30:00 AM MST

HONOLULU — In front of Jay Cutler was the clear-blue but chilly-watered swimming pool at the Ihilani resort.

The gang of Pro Bowl football players had been gathered around the tables, swapping stories, when suddenly the Broncos' quarterback had 300-pound Nick Mangold pushing from one side, 310-pound Kris Dielman holding the other and his cellphone swindled into the hands of a coy Peyton Manning.
    Cutler's radar had gone up, but he never had a chance.

Splash!

"We gave him a Pro Bowl baptism," said Dielman, the star offensive guard of the rival San Diego Chargers.

Great fun. Big laughs. There was just one problem. Cutler is a Type 1 diabetic, and in his pocket was his blood-sugar monitor.

"That was a prank where I thought we were smart enough to get the cellphone out of his pocket," Dielman said. "But then, 'Oops.' "

The monitor was fried by the chlorinated water. Fortunately, Hawaii has drug stores, and after a few calls here and there, Cutler was well-equipped by lunchtime Wednesday.

"It was a bad audible on our part," Manning said. "I think we were thinking right, trying to get the cellphone. Then we realize, the guy gets insulin shots. We missed that."

Here in the island of warm breezes, soft sand and chilled lagoons, Cutler has been making friends. It's just that football friendships tend to include a few more hijinks than, say, relationships forged in a corporate office on the mainland.

After his Tuesday night dunking, Cutler had returned to the scene for Wednesday afternoon lunch.

"It's been great," Cutler said, his back to the Pacific Ocean and the warm sun. "All the guys have been good. Working with Peyton has been fun. Just to see what he does day to day, how he goes about it. He's such a professional."

No sooner had Cutler complimented Manning than guess who strode through the pool area, greeting guests at a table across the deck? Make no mistake, Peyton Manning knows how to work the room.

"He's the mayor here," Cutler said.
    This is Cutler's first Pro Bowl appearance, which is one more than expected for a quarterback who has been starting for only two full seasons. He has made a favorable impression here, and not just poolside. During the first quarterback meeting with the Baltimore Ravens' and AFC coaching staff, the playing time rotation was revealed. Manning would start, Cutler would play next and veteran Kerry Collins would take a few series in the second half.

Coach John Harbaugh had even said Cutler would get most of the reps.
    Cutler said hold on, here. Collins is 36, a 14-year NFL veteran invited to only his second Pro Bowl. Cutler insisted Collins play ahead of him.

"I thought it was a real nice gesture on his part," Collins said. "And I said to him, 'You were voted ahead of me and you should go.' And he said, 'No, no.' It was respectful, and I really appreciated it. I've enjoyed getting to know him. He's definitely a good guy to hang with."

At lunch Wednesday, Dielman pulled up a chair at Cutler's poolside table. Mr. Charger and Mr. Bronco. Aren't these guys supposed to dislike each other?
    "He's like a lot of us, (we) play it up a little bit," Cutler said. "I wasn't sure how he was going to be because he's Philip's boy, but he's been great."
    As the football nation knows, Cutler and Chargers' quarterback Philip Rivers don't like each other. It must be the island.

"We're all out here in Hawaii having a good time," Dielman said. "We'll deal with that during the season. Jay's a good dude. Philip's a good dude. They're two competitors. That's what happens when you have two competitors going at each other."
    Collins is here because Brett Favre first alternate Rivers passed on the trip. The way it has gone this week, Cutler and Rivers probably would have gotten along fine.

"I think we probably would have," Cutler said. "It's hard not to get along with people down here in this environment."

For the sake of the Broncos-Chargers rivalry, perhaps it was better Rivers isn't here. :icon_shrug:Mike Klis: 303-954-1055 or mklis@denverpost.com

• Like Like x 1
  2. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Too bad Cutler's going down twice this season! :yes:

3. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    I love Jay's comments regarding he and Rivers at the end of the article :lol:. So basically Jay what you're saying is Rivers is your daddy and there really isn't much **** left for you talk to him is there? :icon_shrug:

It'd be nice if Dielman missed a block or two in this game.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Holy_Bolt

Holy_Bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +362
    Jay's comments prove that Rivers and the Bolts are in his head! We will own Cutler for the rest of his career!:yes:

• Like Like x 1
  5. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    Jesus .. that guy is just a big baby .. get over it FFS!

6. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    WOW!!! Imagine the hate we'd hear if Rivers was the one that threw the monitor in the pool!!! But since it was Peyton, NFL is going to let the story pass and fade.

Cutler is a baby. If Rivers was there, I guarantee he wouldn't be babbeling on about Cutler!

• Like Like x 1
  7. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    To bad Cutler wasn’t attached to it, and the headlines read,

"JAY CUTLER ELECTROCUTED BY PEYTON MANNING”

Yesterday as the AFC Teams were sitting around the Pool at the AFC Hotel in Hawaii, and each and everyone one of those “Stars” was telling everyone how good they are to each other. Peyton Manning threw Jay Cutler into the pool, Jay Cutler was still attached to his Diabetes Monitor, the Pool started to boil as all the players watched in horror as Jay Cutler sat there and just started to quiver.

Peyton manning was arrested and faces First Degree Murder charges.

All Peyton could say was, “Its nothing but a Joke”

• Like Like x 1
  8. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    I definitely do not apologize for this.

Jay Cutler should not even be at the Pro Bowl.

The only reason why he is there is that he is disabled and we do not want to not allow a disabled person to go. Jay Cutler will always go to the Pro Bowl because of his disability, not his skill playing Football.

The only way I can see Jay Cutler going is if he were to show numbers just like Philip Rivers did this past year. It would be acceptable.

Why is not the Media all up and arms about this? Simple it is their love child Peyton Manning. Their love fest for Manning just has Articles showing as if it is a joke and nothing to write home about. If it were Philip Rivers doing it the media would want Rivers to be put in jail for this injustice and not be allowed to go and play in the Pro Bowl and petition for Rivers to not ever go to the Pro Bowl because of this incident, get Rivers fined and Banned from Football. Because we do not want to hurt Jay Cutlers feelings and the Media is having a love affair with Jay as well.

Man I hate the Media.

End of Rant.

• Like Like x 2
  9. powayslugger

powayslugger Feckless Slappy

Ratings:
    +276
    LOL ... this is f-ing funny.

10. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542