1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Manny being Manny in LA

Discussion in 'All Other Sports' started by SDRaiderH8er, Aug 30, 2008.

1. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,976
    100 at at Bats Manny has.

100 at bats.

He has 40 Hits, that’s great.

Thas a .400 Batting Average

He has 6 Doubles, and 7 homeruns.

He has been on base 55 Times, 40 Hits, and 15 walks.

If he has been on Base 55 times, why has he only scored 16 times?

40 Hits, and only 23 RBI’s.

Isn’t anyone on when he gets his hits?

Wait a second if he has 7 Home runs, that means he has only knocked in 16 other guys with just a hit, and I wonder how many other guys were on when he hit a home run, and I am too lazy to look that up!

Whoops if he has only scored 16 times and 7 of those are via a Homerun, that means for the other 33 times he was on base, he has only scored 9 times.

We have guys coming up from the Minors with better numbers than those!

Oh wait, it must be all the intangibles that he brings day in and day out, yup that’s why the Dodgers are on a 8 game slide. Its all those other things Manny brings to the table.

• Like Like x 2
  2. rexy2006

rexy2006 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,842
    Like his dreads:

[​IMG]
    IT'S ALIIIIIIIIIIVE!!!:icon_eek:

• Like Like x 2
  3. KimPossible

KimPossible BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,054
    I love Manny...and he brings excitement to the team as well. When he's at bat you stop and pay attention. And the other guys love him...sometimes it doesn't work out one place, but it does somewhere else...we will definitely take him. HRs, doubles, singles, and a 400 and over average...it's all good.

• Like Like x 1
  4. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,867
    Manny's behaving so that he can perpetrate like he didn't like the situation with the Red Sox and that he's ok now so he can get a big contract in the offseason.

He'll revert back to his usual behavior next year after he signs with whomever he signs with.

• Like Like x 1
  5. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +1,976

You do know how much he is going to cost dont you?

I see Manny going to the Yankees just to make the Red Sox mad.

6. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +1,976
    and I thought Manny had a talk with Joe Torre, and those dreads getting cut were a part of that conversation.

7. KimPossible

KimPossible BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,054
    I like the dreads.

• Like Like x 2
  8. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +1,976
    Torre is a clean cut guy going back to his days with the Yankees.
    If my memory serves me right, Manny told Torre that he would cut them if he became a Dodger.

9. KimPossible

KimPossible BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,054
    I think they make him look unique and he has the look to carry them off...practically speaking, they would drive me nuts playing sports...I have to have a pony tail going to the gym or my hair drives me crazy...but I say he should keep them...I think the team loves him right now as he is.

10. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    Manny will be very expensive, but I think the Dodgers have a decent chance of resigning him. As an organization, they've proven willing to spend money to field a competitive club.

Even if we don't sign Manny, I like our young talent, which will continue to improve. I see us battling the Diamondbacks for division supremacy for many years to come.

Although the Giants have impressed me with THEIR young talent, and Colorado has potential as well. Should be interesting for those teams in the NL West for the next few seasons.

11. KimPossible

KimPossible BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,054
    I agree...and even if the Dodgers don't end up in the end with Manny signed, he is very exciting to watch in action now...the D-Backs and Dodgers will be battling it out until the end this season, and we all know what the Rockies did last year. The Dodgers are very streakish and one winning streak can cement the NLW this season. Exciting times to be a Dodger fan.

12. KimPossible

KimPossible BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,054
    ps...I say keep the dreads...you don't mess with what works...

13. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +1,976

you can say goodbye to Manny at the end of the season, he will go over to the darkside, and hit more Homeruns in Fenway, except he will be wearing the Pinstripes.

The Yankees have way to much money to throw around, and this will Manny's chance to shove it back into Bostons face.

14. Deb

Deb BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +255
    I have been following Manny since his rookie year, cuz I live in Cleveland. Back then he was young, people made excuses for him....watching him jog to first base or whatever Manny thing he did that day. But now he's a seasoned veteran. He should be a leader, a hard worker. Boston wasn't the first team that had trouble with him. And Cleveland loved Manny but...but at some point it stopped being funny. I hope at some point he grows up cuz he sure has a boat load of talent. Manny can be exciting and Manny can be lazy. Guess it depends anymore on his choice.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Thread_Killer

Ratings:
    +680
    Kim, did you see last night's game? Greg Maddux really came through for us. :yes:

I am rooting hard for a sweep, gotta keep pace with the pesky Snakes.

Dodgers beat Padres; Greg Maddux gets 354th win

[​IMG]

By Ben Bolch, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer
    September 2, 2008
    For your consideration as the worst team in an awful division, the National League West not so proudly presents the San Diego Padres.

The Padres are so bad they're 17 games behind a division leader whose record is barely above .500. If they were in the NL Central, they would be 31 1/2 games back of the Chicago Cubs.

From the Dodgers' perspective, San Diego resides in a perfect spot -- front and center on their September schedule as they make a playoff push.

The Dodgers defeated the Padres, 5-2, Monday evening at Dodger Stadium in the first of nine meetings this month between the Southern California rivals.

Greg Maddux pitched 5 2/3 innings against his former team after it looked as if he might not make it through one inning, the Padres opening the game with three consecutive singles to take a 1-0 lead.

San Diego went quietly from there on a night it trotted out a less-than-venerable lineup that included rookies Will Venable, Chase Headley, Nick Hundley and Matt Antonelli. Maddux (7-11) retired 17 of 18 hitters at one point after the Padres' early hit parade.

"He was great," Dodgers Manager Joe Torre said of Maddux, who notched victory No. 354 to tie Roger Clemens for eighth place on the all-time list. "I mean, the first three guys up in the game get base hits and then he just shuts them down completely."

Casey Blake hit a home run and Maddux, who began the game batting .109, had a run-scoring single to help the Dodgers notch a third consecutive victory and remain 2 1/2 games behind Arizona in the NL West.

Click on the link below to read the entire article:

http://www.latimes.com/sports/baseball/mlb/dodgers/la-sp-dodgers2-2008sep02,0,7076927.story

• Like Like x 1
  16. KimPossible

KimPossible BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,054
    Didn't see it bc I was gone all day at a family function but agree that we have to keep pace with the Snakes..:yes: .every game matters right now...this race is neck and neck. As for Manny, I hope we can keep him...he states he likes it here in LA and it might fit his personality, but even if he is not around next season, we do have a lot of promising talent, and Manny has really brought some excitement to our team, if only for now.

17. Thread_Killer

Ratings:
    +680
    Manny brought the Red Sox, two world series rings, I'm sure that Boston fans would tell you he was worth the trouble.

Shaq's work ethic was less than exemplary while in LA, but he gaves us three Championships. He was worth it too.

Bottom line, Boston is paying 100% of Manny's salary, and we only gave up two fringe minor league prospects. I am finding a hard time seeing any downside to this trade, regardless of where your loyalties lay.

18. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +1,976
    doesnt that tell you what kind of a person he is.

A team is willing to give up that much just to get rid of him.

As long as everyone is kissing his butt, he is on the up. Once things start heading south, they get there very quickly.

19. Thread_Killer

Ratings:
    +680
    I don’t get why you’re gloating about the possibility that Manny won’t be a Dodger next year, or that he will eventually cause any team he plays for to be happy to get rid of him.

Again, he’s playing in LA for free, and he will be the main reason should we make the playoffs. If Manny opts to sign elsewhere, it was still a great trade for the Dodgers.

Much better than dealing a minor leaguer for Jim Edmonds, only to see him get injured, then play like crap and have to release him, and then see Jimmy prosper for a contending team.

THAT is a bad deal right there. IMO.

20. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    I hate the Dodgers

21. Thread_Killer

Ratings:
    +680
    Ramirez sparks Dodgers past San Diego

[​IMG]

The Dodgers' Manny Ramirez is welcomed home after his two-run home run by teammate James Loney during the first inning Tuesday night at Dodger Stadium. The Dodgers won their fourth in a row, defeating San Diego, 8-4.
    He homers and drives in three runs, and the Dodgers increase their winning streak to four.
    From the Associated Press
    10:04 PM PDT, September 2, 2008

Manny Ramirez homered and drove in three runs and the resurgent Dodgers closed in on Arizona in the NL West with an 8-4 victory over the San Diego Padres Tuesday night at Dodger Stadium.

Andre Ethier had three hits including a homer, and rookie Clayton Kershaw allowed a run and three hits in seven innings to help the Dodgers win their fourth in a row and reduce the Diamondbacks' NL West lead to 1 1/2 games.

Kershaw, who struck out six, was pulled after walking his first two batters in the eighth. Both runners scored when Ramon Troncoso gave up an RBI double to Luis Rodriguez and a two-run single to Kevin Kouzmanoff, slashing the Padres' deficit to 8-4. But lefty Joe Beimel retired the next three batters and pitched a scoreless ninth to end it.

Ramirez, moved down to third in the order last week because of Jeff Kent's ailing left knee, opened the scoring in the first with a home run into the pavilion seats in left-center after a single by Ethier.

Ramirez's 520th career home run put him one behind Ted Williams, Willie McCovey and injured Oakland A's DH Frank Thomas, who are tied for 17th place. The 12-time All-Star has 30 this season, 10 since the trade that sent him from Boston to Los Angeles on July 31.

22. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +1,976
    gloating, nope.

Just giving my opinion, and Manny is in it for the $$$$$$$, and he is looking out for #1 and thats it.

I lost my respect for him when he was sent up to pinch hit during a game. Manny did not to pinch hit. Manny was to told to get up there. Manny watched 3 strikes go by without even taking the bat off the shoulder.

Sorry, I would not want anyone on my team to pull a stunt like that. And if I am the Manager, go find a place on the pine, carve your name in it, and enjoy it.

You guys rented him, you gave up 2 guys.

You had better hope he does something, because thats all you are going to get from him.

23. KimPossible

KimPossible BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,054
    I'm very happy with the Manny deal even if he doesn't sign for next season...he is very valuable now and exciting to watch and I like him...he's a good fit right now for the Dodgers and we are hot on the D-backs trail...as far as being in it for the $ and looking out for himself, that's true of everyone. If Manny is not signed I'm still glad we had him while we did. Right now the Dodgers are one of the most exciting teams in baseball...fun to watch.

:yes:

• Like Like x 1
  24. Thread_Killer

Ratings:
    +680
    This is a very good take on the Manny Ramirez situation in Los Angeles. Nicely done KimPossible! :tup:

I am rooting for a sweep of the Padres. We need to get on a roll in the month of September. :yes:

25. KimPossible

KimPossible BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,054
    Thanks Thread_Killer! :tup: I want to get ahead of the D-backs as fast as we can!

26. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +1,976
    and that is fine, your a Dodger fan, and I guess Tampa Bay means nothing to you.

There are a lot of Cubs fans that would say something else also.

The Dodgers are a second place team in a very weak division. Both the 4th place team in the Central, and the 3rd place team in the East have a record that is as good as or better than the 1st place team in the West. That is not good baseball.

And if Manny helps you have a prayer, then enjoy while you can.

27. KimPossible

KimPossible BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,054
    The Dodgers have a decent chance at winning their division...they are certainly making the race interesting...I'd much rather be vying for first place in the division than the alternative :icon_tease:

28. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +1,976
    winning the Division doesnt mean anything if you dont do anything in the Playoffs.

And coming from a weak division does not help.

29. KimPossible

KimPossible BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,054
    Winning the division is a heck of a lot better than not winning it! Come on H8er...if it were the Padres where the Dodgers are right now you would not be ragging them...I'm happy for my team and if someone starts a Dodger thread I will post my happiness about it...it just isn't the Pads year...every year is different but this season the Dodgers are in it...

Does the Bolts winning their division not translate into any big deal either? "Weak" division argument...

Just bc it's a team you don't like, doesn't diminish the accomplishment and you sure as heck don't get to the play-offs by being in last place. I am not a Pad "hater" by any means...I kind of think this is sour grapes...if the Dodgers were in the basement and the Pads a game out of first...whateva! :icon_tease: ;)

30. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036

glad you and TK are happy. But please, don't forget you're posting on a SD board. Posting your happiness about a team that everyone and their uncle knows SD fans (for the most part) don't like, is somewhat akin to pouring salt in a wound

:icon_sad: