1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Manny being Manny in LA

Discussion in 'All Other Sports' started by SDRaiderH8er, Aug 30, 2008.

1. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,976

Kim spin it any way you want, I bet its fun being a Dodger fan this late in the season, its been a long time since you had any hope at all.

Face it top to bottom the NL West is weak. The Padres are 53 and 85 and they are only 17.5 Games out of first, any other division and they are eliminated and are over 25 Games out in the National League, and over 30 Games out in the American League. Our Division leader in any other Division is 15 games out of 1st.

If that makes you think you have a strong team, go for it.

I am putting my Money on the other team , and it doesnt matter who it is, but I say our Division winner is out of the first round in 4 Games in this years Playoffs! Because you can take this to the bank, the ONLY team form the West is the Division winner, we have no chance with the wild card.

2. KimPossible

KimPossible BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,054
    :tup:...now we have to be ready to face the Snakes...they can be formidable.

• Like Like x 1
  3. KimPossible

KimPossible BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,054
    Hey I am not the one who started this thread and I have always been respectful of posting on a SD board...no one is rubbing salt in the wound and he knows there are Dodger fans here...I was responding to a post that claimed winning the division is meaningless...which I think is bullchit ;) You don't see me starting any threads about the Dodgers over here :icon_wink: and I never rag the Pads...it's ridiculous to say the division is meaningless and if the tables were turned it wouldn't be. It wasn't 2 years ago. If there is going to be a Dodger thread, the Dodger fans are probably gonna post on it...:unsure: I rarely post here at all really.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    wrbanwal, look who started this thread. It was a Padres fan spewing sour grapes for no reason other than to disparage the Dodgers. I repeat, a PADRES fan started this thread for the sole purpose of talking smack. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that one out.

If he can post negative, hurtful opinions about my favorite baseball team, then I will post positive opinions when they win. I will let the moderators decide which posts are inappropriate.

5. KimPossible

KimPossible BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,054
    If I recall correctly the Pads and Dods ended the 2006 season exactly even...exact same win/loss/percentage...Pads took it bc they were ahead in the division for the tie breaker...yeah I guess two years is a long time :yes: It's all perspective I guess ;) And yeah I am enjoying this season and Manny! This is the Manny thread!

6. KimPossible

KimPossible BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,054
    :tup:

7. Thread_Killer

Ratings:
    +680
    I agree, KimPossible. But we really needed to sweep the Padres, mission accomplished. :tup:

And after taking care of business against Arizona in their crib, I'm feeling some positive vibes about gaining even more ground on the Snakes at home. :yes:

8. KimPossible

KimPossible BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,054
    The Snakes can be formidable...but the Dodgers are streakish and right now they seem to be on a good one :yes: I hope they extend it! It's gonna be day to day til the end I think for the division :yes:

I caught the end of the game where Manny was acting as translator lol...that was cute!

9. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036

:icon_eek::icon_eek:

My bad

:icon_sad::icon_sad:

I should have read the thing from the beginning.

my humblest apologies

:icon_toast::icon_toast:

10. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +1,976

And when was the last time the Dodgers swept us?

11. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +1,976
    Its just a bunch of Dodger fans. They think they have the hottest team in Baseball, I guess thats what happens when you play in a weak division, you get a false sense of security.

12. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036

I'm not gonna smack them though,

But, I do hate the Dodgers!!

:lol:

13. Thread_Killer

Ratings:
    +680

No worries, good buddy.

As you can see, a better example of "pouring salt in the wound" is starting this "Manny bashing" thread after the Dodgers lose 8 straight games.

14. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +1,976
    I guess next time I will have to take a break and start something new, right now its been 10 hour days at work, every Tuesday and Thursday it Soccer practice and I am an Asst Coach. On Monday's, Wednesday’s and Friday's it has been house hunting as I am looking at buying a House and in the spare time it was spending several hours talking with my Mortgage Consultant. This Labor Day was my first 2 days off in a row since Memorial Day Weekend; I just got of working 12 Hour Days 7 days a week. In the Mornings I work at North Island NAS, in the afternoon’s I have to go out to Miramar MCAS, then back to North Island for overtime.

Would you like me to schedule another Dodger bashing thread, I think I will have a spare 27 seconds next Tuesday.

15. KimPossible

KimPossible BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,054
    You're a good guy gramps ;) I never said they are the hottest or best team in baseball :no:...just that they are exciting to watch, with Manny, right now, battling it out for the division...and winning the division is something...But it's football I'm looking forward to now :yes:

• Like Like x 2
  16. Thread_Killer

Ratings:
    +680
    Well, the Dodgers certainly took care of business in game one of this pivotal series against the Diamondbacks. This was a huge game, we can really put pressure on AZ with a sweep:

Dodgers cut it closer

[​IMG]
    Mark J. Terrill / Associated Press
    Dodgers right fielder Andre Ethier is greeted by left fielder Manny Ramirez after Ethier hit a home run in the first inning Friday night, when he had five hits and drove in a career-high five runs.

Derek Lowe gives up two hits in eight innings and Andre Ethier goes five for five, just missing the cycle.

By Dylan Hernandez, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer

September 6, 2008
    Derek Lowe was asked by Joe Torre to match Dan Haren.

He did better.

He outpitched him.

That wasn't hard to do Friday night, as the Dodgers pounded Haren for five runs and six hits in four innings on their way to a 7-0 victory over the Arizona Diamondbacks in the opening contest of a vital three-game series at Dodger Stadium with first place in the NL West on the line.

The two remaining games of this series are the Dodgers' only two left this season against the Diamondbacks, whom they trail by only half a game, thanks to eight two-hit innings by Lowe (12-11) in the Dodgers' sixth win in a row.

"The lead helped," Lowe said of the four-run cushion he had at the end of two innings.

Most of the damage absorbed by Haren was inflicted by Andre Ethier, who drove in four of his career-high five runs with him on the mound. Ethier was five for five with a home run and two doubles, and received a standing ovation from the paid crowd of 55,270 when he collected his final hit in the eighth inning.

So, Andre, what happened?

"Two words," Ethier said. "Manny Ramirez."

That last line says it all. Manny's presense in the lineup changes how teams pitch to the guys batting around him, it has turned the Dodgers into a formidable offensive club. His impact on the field cannot be overstated. Manny also made a nice catch in left to close out the 6th inning, the kind of high-effort play that indicates how happy Manny is to be playing the Los Angeles.

Two other things I have noticed:

1. The Dodgers have one the best collections of young talent in MLB. Andre Ethier, Russell Martin, Rafael Furcal, James Loney, Matt Kemp, it is reminding me of those homegrown Dodger teams in the 70's with Cey, Russell, Lopes, Garvey, Yeager, etc. It also reminds me of our Chargers, in that we can expect improvement year to year simply because of the continued development of the young players. It bodes well for the future of both franchises. :tup:

2. Manny is actually improving team chemistry. This team is playing a lot looser, having more fun. Manny's personality actually fits better on a younger club, certainly much better than surly veterans like Nomar and Jeff Kent.

So one down, two to go, I am rooting hard for a sweep. :yes:

17. Thread_Killer

Ratings:
    +680
    DODGERS 7, ARIZONA 2
    Dodgers blast past Diamondbacks

[​IMG]
    The Dodgers' Manny Ramirez receives congratulations from teammate James Loney after hitting a three-run home run in the fifth inning Saturday at Dodger Stadium. Ramirez drove in five runs as the Dodgers moved into first place with a 7-2 victory over Arizona.
    (Gina Ferazzi / Los Angeles Times)

September 6, 2008By Ben Bolch, Times Staff Wrier

Next!

The Dodgers dismissed another Arizona ace with relative ease Saturday afternoon, battering Brandon Webb and leaving the Diamondbacks looking as lost as right fielder Justin Upton during a 7-2 victory at Dodger Stadium.

Upton lifted his arms in surrender moments before Manny Ramirez's sixth-inning fly ball bounced off the warning track and over the right-field wall for a two-run double that helped catapult the Dodgers into sole possession of first place in the National League West for the first time since April 4.

It only seems as if Arizona has conceded the division during a four-game stretch against the Dodgers in which it has been outscored 28-5. Ramirez homered and drove in five runs for the Dodgers, who celebrated their seventh consecutive victory...

Well guys, while I am rooting for a sweep I will gladly take beating both Haren AND Webb, for the second straight time. The D'Backs set up their rotation to take the first two games of this series, and we turned them back in convincing fashion. It was a great statement that the Dodgers are for real and not going away. :tup:

As usual, Manny Ramirez is at the forefront. His presense, his experience with crunch time baseball in September is invaluable. It has a calming effect on the younger players, and they are inspired by the way Manny ALWAYS turns it up a notch when the games matter most.

Can't wait for the games today. I look forward to celebrating both a Dodger victory and a Charger victory when all is said and done!

:yes:

• Like Like x 1
  18. MountainDew

MountainDew BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +33
    I wonder if Manny can play RB so he can sub in for LT.

19. rexy2006

rexy2006 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,842
    Manny had a BAD game tonight:

[​IMG]

Manny Ramirez, making his first visit to Petco Park since being traded from Boston to L.A., was booed every time he came to bat. He was 0-for-4 with two strikeouts, stranding three runners.

• Like Like x 1
  20. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +1,976
    Well Manny is good when the Dodgers play at home, but it’s a different story when he is on the Road.

The Dodgers lose 8 straight games when they were on the road. They come home and win 8 straight games. Now it’s an extended road trip for the Dodgers, or a bad case of reality.

21. Thread_Killer

Ratings:
    +680
    H8er, I understand where you are coming from. But I sense that this road trip will turn out better for the Blue Crew. We just extended our division lead last night, and Manny hit a crucial homer.

I am rooting for another Dodger win in the rubber game of this series. :tup:

22. KimPossible

KimPossible BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,054
    We'll take Manny no matter...he brings excitement to baseball...his contribution is much more than his "stats" (which are outstanding btw)...he gets the whole team fired up...last night was a prime example...I am glad he is a Dodger...I want to keep him.

• Like Like x 2
  23. Thread_Killer

Ratings:
    +680
    DODGERS 7, SAN DIEGO 2
    Manny Ramirez homers twice as Dodgers increase lead in West

[​IMG]
    The Dodgers' Manny Ramirez, left, is congratulated by teammate Andre Ethier after hitting a two-run home run during the fifth inning Wednesday night in San Diego. Ramirez added another two-run shot in the ninth.

SAN DIEGO -- Pitcher's park? Please.

The spacious field at Petco Park was made to look like a scaled-down version of itself on Wednesday night by Manny Ramirez, who crushed a pair of two-run home runs over the fence in right-center that stands 400 feet away from home plate in the Dodgers' 7-2 victory over the San Diego Padres. The Dodgers won the rubber match of a three-game series and opened a 3 1/2 -game gap on the second-place Arizona Diamondbacks in the National League West.

Ramirez hit three home runs in the series, the first to left field in the Dodgers' win on Tuesday. In his 38 games with the Dodgers, he has 14 home runs and 40 runs batted in. :icon_eek:

"He gets that ball in the air, it doesn't come down," said Dodgers Manager Joe Torre, whose team has won 10 of its last 11 games.

Starting pitcher Derek Lowe, who improved to 5-1 over his last seven starts, shook his head.

"What can you say about Manny?" he said. "This is obviously a pitcher's park."

Told that, Ramirez smiled.

"I just got lucky," he said.

Ramirez's first shot, off starter Shawn Estes in the fifth inning, extended the Dodgers' lead to 5-1.

His second, off Dirk Hayhurst in the ninth, barely cleared the fence but added the final two runs of the game that let Torre rest closer Jonathan Broxton. Ramirez said he was expecting center fielder Will Venable to catch the ball, only to see Venable sprint into the chain-link fence.

IMO last night might've been the most pivotal game of the stretch run for us. We really needed to prove we could put our recent road struggles behind us, and taking yet another series from the Padres seems to have accomplished just that.

PS. Manny is on fire right now! :abq2:

24. KimPossible

KimPossible BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,054
    Manny being Manny! in LA!

• Like Like x 1
  25. KimPossible

KimPossible BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,054
    link?...:icon_huh:

• Like Like x 1
  26. Thread_Killer

Ratings:
    +680
    Actually H8er, Manny is batting .321 on the road, with 20 homers. He is right up there at the top of major league baseball in terms of road batting average and home runs.

Maybe you pulled some old information, as Manny's recent surge since joining the Blue Crew has raised his numbers in ALL categories.

Regardless, you have a point about the Dodgers as a TEAM not playing as well on the road. I still have trepidation as we continue on with this crucial road trip.

27. Thread_Killer

Ratings:
    +680
    Dan Bickley, well-respected sports columnist for the Arizona Republic, has broached this subject:

Manny for MVP?

If Jeff Kent weren't such a porcupine, I'd like to ask him his preference:

Manny Ramirez in August 2008 or Barry Bonds in 2001? After all, as great as Bonds was during the peak of his powers, his record season is tainted by dark clouds and asterisks.

The better question is whether Manny's instant impact in Los Angeles is worthy of MVP consideration if the Cardinals don't make the playoffs.

Here is Manny's line since joining the Dodgers at the trade deadline: 38 games, .396 batting average, 14 home runs, 40 RBI, 25 walks (14 intentional), a .776 slugging percentage and a .488 on base percentage.

That's sick. And the folks in Boston must be a little bit perturbed, given that Tom Brady's injured and their beloved Manny was obviously playing in a much lower gear with the Red Sox.

Sort of like how Mariners felt when Randy Johnson went to the National League and couldn't lose a game.

By comparison, here are Albert Pujols' numbers:

G Ave. HR RBI BB IW Slugging % On base %

131 .363 33 139 93 32 .65 5 .467

If the Cardinals make the playoffs, which doesn't seem likely, Pujols would have to get the nod. But if they don't, who is the clear-cut MVP? And how can anyone discount the impact Ramirez has had in the Dodgers' rise to prominence?

Good when it matters? Ramirez has eight home runs and 19 RBI in the last 13 games, a time when the Dodgers overtook the Diamondbacks for first place in the National League West. And with all due respect to local fans in Arizona who cheer for both the Dbacks and Cubs, wouldn't it be something to see Manny and the Dodgers meet the Red Sox in the World Series? With Joe Torre battling Boston for the big trophy and not just the American League pennant?

That's big drama. And if it happens, I'm guessing Manny gets plunked in the ribs by Josh Beckett, hits five home runs and walks off with another World Series MVP award.

[​IMG]

http://www.azcentral.com/members/Blog/DanBickley/32929

Personally, I don't think Manny Ramirez has been in the NL long enough. But I find it interesting that somebody from Diamondbacks country has such a strong opinion about Manny's impact on the NL West.

28. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    TK,

You know I'm not much of a Dodger fan

but,

When the playoffs start will you please, please, please, kick the Cubbies collective asses back to Chitown!!!

:icon_toast::icon_toast:

29. Thread_Killer

Ratings:
    +680
    I was born in Chicago, so I am hoping they meet each other in the NLCS.

30. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036

SHIAT!!

WHAT WILL YOU DO!!!

:icon_shrug:

:lol:

• Like Like x 1