1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Manny being Manny in LA

Discussion in 'All Other Sports' started by SDRaiderH8er, Aug 30, 2008.

1. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    I have to root for the Dodgers or Kimmie will come to my house and kick me in the nuts. She already told me that and I believe her. :lol:

Dodgers beat the Padres last night, D'backs lost. Magic number down to 3. Tonights game is HUGE. If we can win tonight and Arizona loses, we might be able to clinch the division against Jake Peavy.

That would be special for me, because I have always admired Peavy, he's a damned good pitcher. :tup:

Hey Walt, what do you think chances are of Manny re-signing with the Dodgers? I have a feeling in my gut that he's coming back.

2. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Well, I guess my hatred for the Cubbies will have to out weigh my hatred for the Dodger Blue!!

I wouldn't want to hear about you're boys being put on IR

:lol::lol::lol:

Hard to predict what players will do. I'm pretty sure he'll follow the money, wherever that is. The Dodgers could certainly afford him

3. Thread_Killer

Ratings:
    +680
    Walt where does this hatred for the Cubs come from?

4. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036

their fans are right up there with ne.

i knew a cub fan while living in SD. She was so pissed off about 84 she took it out on all pad fans

and the fans here are no better

5. MountainDew

MountainDew BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +33
    Can Manny play RB?

6. Thread_Killer

Ratings:
    +680
    That's a pretty good reason. :lol:

7. Thread_Killer

Ratings:
    +680
    Last night couldn't have gone any better, everything has fallen into place for us. It would be special to clinch the NL West at home, against the ace of a division foe, behind a pitcher who we recently picked up from that team.

I will be rooting hard for yet another series sweep of the Padres, Maddux outdueling Peavy, and celebrating a playoff berth. :tup:

DODGERS 12, PADRES 4

Dodgers clinch tie for division title

[​IMG]

Manny Ramirez connects on a two-run home run in the sixth inning Wednesday night at Dodger Stadium.

The closer the Dodgers move to the NL West title, the louder the ballpark becomes.

What started as scattered applause when the video scoreboard over the left-field stands relayed news that second-place Arizona had lost, turned into a stadium-rocking celebration when Manny Ramirez crushed a two-run home run in the sixth inning that opened a three-run lead and sent the Dodgers to a 12-4 victory over the San Diego Padres on Wednesday night.
    With the magic number for the Dodgers to win the division down to one, the NL West crown could be theirs by the time they show up for their final regular-season game of the season at Dodger Stadium, as the Diamondbacks play in St. Louis at 11:15 a.m.

"We still have a little work to do," Manager Joe Torre said. "Hopefully, we can do it tomorrow, either on their timetable or ours."

Though Torre said he would rest his regular position players today if the Diamondbacks lose, he stated that the Dodgers wouldn't be spraying any champagne until after their own game tonight.

The paid crowd of 44,776 fans that was at Dodger Stadium on Wednesday already started celebrating, as Ramirez's 17th home run as a Dodger was only one of several cues for them to jump and shout.

They roared when Nomar Garciaparra hit his second home run in as many nights. They rose to their feet when Jeff Kent hit for the first time for in almost a month.

They did the same when Rafael Furcal played his first game in 4 1/2 months.

"When I came in, I wasn't thinking about the postseason or anything," said Ramirez, who has driven in 53 runs with the Dodgers.

"I was just trying to fit in, play the game and show people that I play hard."

But this two-month audition for free agency has turned into something more, at least for the fans who cheered loud and long enough to get Ramirez to acknowledge them.

Ramirez treated this home run like any other, slapping hands with Russell Martin at home plate, removing his helmet, ducking into the dugout and sinking onto the bench.

He had no choice but to re-emerge and tip his helmet to the roaring crowd, which produced chants of "M-V-P! M-V-P!"

Ramirez's former Boston teammate, Garciaparra, gave the Dodgers their initial push. Starting over James Loney for the second consecutive day, he cut into a 2-0 deficit in the fourth inning with a solo home run off Padres starter Shawn Estes.

Casey Blake drew a walk in the next at-bat and later tied the score at 2-2 on a single to left-center by Matt Kemp.

Garciaparra also led their two-run charge in the fifth inning that put the Dodgers ahead, 4-2, as his double drove in Andre Ethier from first for the go-ahead run.

Garciaparra moved to third on a groundout by Blake and scored on a squeeze play by Angel Berroa.

With two out in the bottom of the seventh and the Dodgers holding a 6-4 lead because of Ramirez's home run, Kent walked into the batter's box on a left knee that was surgically repaired on Sept. 2.

Kent received a standing ovation when he was introduced and received another after he lined an 0-and 1 pitch to right field for a single.

He was immediately replaced by pinch-runner Jason Repko.

For Kent, the at-bat was his first since Aug. 29.

"I've had the luxury playing this game for 17 to 18 years," said the 40-year-old Kent. "But it never feels natural when you miss that much time."

The Dodgers scored six runs in an eighth inning highlighted by a two-run double by Loney.

Furcal, who last played on May 5 and underwent back surgery on July 3, also received a standing ovation when he pinch-hit in that inning.

He struck out, but nonetheless retreated to the dugout to applause.

Reaping the rewards was 20-year-old Clayton Kershaw, who improved to 5-5 in his last start of the regular season.

Kershaw, who gave up three runs and six hits over 5 2/3 innings, struck out seven, walked two and delivered 91 pitches.

"This kid came out and was as calm as I've seen him," said Torre, adding that he wouldn't be afraid to start him in a playoff game.

8. Thread_Killer

Ratings:
    +680
    Holy crap, Manny Ramirez has driven in 53 runs for the Dodgers, and they didn't even pick him up until August 1st. That is INSANE production. :icon_eek:

I predict that Manny will be among the top 5 candidates for NL MVP, which is almost unheard of for a player acquired so late in the season.

You have to love a player who performs best when the pressure is on, Manny is the epitome of that.

9. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036

dude has found a new life

:tup:

now sweep the cubbies in the nl championship

:icon_toast::icon_toast:

10. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    congrats the the Blue Crew

:icon_toast::icon_toast:

• Like Like x 1
  11. Thread_Killer

Ratings:
    +680
    H8er, while I respect your baseball knowledge, I will have to disagree with you on this point. Manny Ramirez has 27 postseason home runs, which puts him right up there with the best to ever play the game. And 16 of those homers were hit ON THE ROAD.

Manny Ramirez is NOT a liability when the Dodgers are away from home. On the contrary, he is one of the best road playoff performers in history.

[​IMG]

NLDS Game 2
    The Dodgers' Manny Ramirez happily returns to the dugout after hitting a home run in the fifth inning Thursday night in Chicago.

Manny has hit a home run in each of the first two playoff games in the Cubs series. His impact on this Dodger club cannot be overstated, I am grateful that we made this deal in which we acquired him for two fringe minor leaguers, with Boston paying his entire salary. :yes:

12. Thread_Killer

Ratings:
    +680
    Actually H8er, the weak division didn't really give me confidence in the Dodgers. It more so the trade for Manny Ramirez, and the energy and enthusiasm he brought to the team.

The Dodgers really took it to the Cubs, who were arguably the best team in baseball during the regular season.

So I DO think this Dodger team deserved to be in the playoffs, and I will bet you that they will be favored against either the Phillies or the Brewers.

PS. I actually didn't think we had the hottest team in baseball, but I am starting to come around to that notion. :yes:

13. Thread_Killer

Ratings:
    +680
    Dodgers' Manny Ramirez knows how to have fun -- and win
    Possibly as important as all the home runs and RBIs was the attitude the slugger brought to the Dodgers

[​IMG]

Manny Ramirez has made his mark with the Dodgers not just with his bat, but with the influence and respect he has in the clubhouse.

Dodger Stadium has turned into the capital of Mannywood in two short months, the ballpark taken over by a cartoon character of a superstar who wears a loose-fitting uniform and helmet that always seems to fly off his head to expose a set of bouncing dreadlocks.

He has sold jerseys and he has sold tickets. He has made grown men wear wigs. And when he steps into the batter's box, chants of "M-V-P!" are heard through the stands.

What Manny Ramirez said he thought would be a two-month vacation has turned into something far more significant, providing a face to a faceless franchise and delivering hope to the tortured fans of a club that has won only one playoff game in the last two decades.

"I never thought I was going to come here and have a big impact in L.A.," the 36-year-old Ramirez said.

Acquired on July 31 in a three-way trade with the Boston Red Sox and Pittsburgh Pirates, the 12-time All-Star hit .396 with 17 home runs and 53 runs batted in over his 53 games with the Dodgers, becoming only the second player to drive in 50 runs in both leagues in the same season. ( Carlos Beltran was the first in 2004.)

The Dodgers were 54-55 without him in their otherwise power-deprived lineup and 30-23 with him.

Asked if the Dodgers would've won the NL West without Ramirez, Manager Joe Torre replied, "Probably not."

"I used to think that one hitter couldn't make such a profound impact on a team," closer Takashi Saito said. "But watching him, I've changed my opinion. He's changed the way I think about baseball."

Ramirez's new teammates said they had no idea what to expect when he moved into their clubhouse.

Andre Ethier said he knew Ramirez was a pleasant person and hard worker because they'd worked out together last winter at the Athletes' Performance Institute in Arizona, but he also was aware of the reputation he'd developed in Boston as a strange-behaving malcontent. There were tales of his inexplicably cutting off a relay throw, disappearing into the Green Monster at Fenway Park during a pitching change and forcing the Red Sox to trade him.

Derek Lowe knew better, only because he and Ramirez were teammates in Boston. Of how Ramirez's oddball antics became major news stories, Lowe said, "If he plays in a different market, I bet a lot of things go unnoticed. It's such a media-crazed city that they know everything you do on and off the field."

Other than Lowe and Nomar Garciaparra, another former teammate, everyone was in for a surprise.

"I learned that he's one of the smartest guys I've ever been around," first baseman James Loney said of the way Ramirez sets up pitchers.

Loney said that even though Ramirez has a goofy demeanor and tells reporters that he doesn't feel any different whether his team wins or loses, he's extremely competitive.

"He loves to win," Loney said. "You have to get to know him. Just because he says it like that doesn't mean he's not excited."

And by constantly cracking jokes and playing music in a clubhouse where it was previously banned by Torre, he has livened up the atmosphere.

"I think the music helps," Loney said. "If something bad happened to you that day, you forget about it."

Saito said he had never met anyone like Ramirez.

"I never thought that anyone could play baseball and have that much fun," Saito said. "It's like he's a one-man, baseball-playing festival."

Third base coach Larry Bowa, who acknowledges being a nervous wreck during games, said Ramirez has helped lighten his mood as well.

In the seventh inning of almost every game, Bowa said, Ramirez turns to Torre and tells him to take him out of the game -- with a smile. Torre and Bowa laugh, remembering how in an Aug. 11 home game against Philadelphia, Ramirez misinterpreted a gesture from Torre and thought he was out of the game. Left field was empty with the ninth inning about to start until someone told Ramirez he was still in the game.

"It's a game to him," Bowa said. "He's so successful because he's so relaxed. I've never seen anyone take it to this level. I've never seen anyone do it for two months."

Torre said the young players in particular have benefited from the change in the clubhouse atmosphere.

"Players, in showing respect, it was business, business, business," Torre said. "When you're thinking business every day, you don't enjoy it until you've accomplished something.

"He's taught a lot of young players that you can have fun."

But this blissful union could be over when the Dodgers' postseason ends, as this has been essentially a two-plus-month audition for Ramirez's impending free agency.

Ramirez bullied his way back onto the market, demanding that Boston trade him and forcing the Red Sox to drop the two $20-million options on his contract as a condition of that trade. (Ramirez had the right to veto any deal.) The Red Sox were desperate enough to part ways with him that they agreed to pay the remaining $7 million owed to him this season.

Ramirez, who is represented by agent Scott Boras, probably will demand a contract that pays him more than the $20 million in annual salary he would've earned had he stayed in Boston and is for four to five years. He could be more tempting to teams in the American League because he would be able to be a designated hitter as he entered his late 30s.

Though Torre and General Manager Ned Colletti said the idea of re-signing Ramirez has to at least be seriously considered, owner Frank McCourt has offered no indication as to whether he'll try to keep him. Ramirez has kept his thoughts about his future to himself, acknowledging that his time in Los Angeles surpassed his expectations but declining to say whether he has any intention of making this the place he ends his career.

"I'm happy everything worked out great," he said. "But let's see."

14. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,243
    Congrats TK.

• Like Like x 1
  15. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,976

I made a prediction then found out you were playing the Cubs. The Cubs are the biggest chokers on the face of the Planet!

16. KimPossible

KimPossible BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,054
    Give the Dodgers some credit...they swept the team with the best record in the NL...second only to the Angels this season in baseball...the Dodgers have been dynamic and exciting...and playing very good baseball these last few weeks...even if you hate a team, give credit where it is due. Even if it ends now for the Dodgers, and I sincerely hope not because this team has what it takes on both sides of the ball...they have accomplished something this season.

Trying to say they are losers (your kind of rude comment to me at the UT when I was responding to someone else...we are not ragging the Pads and we definitely could) or have not earned where they stand right now is just sour grapes at this point.

Right now they are the most exciting team in baseball.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Thread_Killer

Ratings:
    +680
    Good points, KimPossible. I for one was impressed with how we dismantled the Cubs, especially given how young our core players are. Ethier, Kemp, Loney, Martin, Furcal, these guys are experiencing playoff pressure for the first time, and have proven more than up to the task.

And now we play the Phillies. They are a formidable opponent, and nobody will be questioning the worthiness of the Dodgers if we win four more games to get the the World Series.

:tup:

18. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    The regular season doesn't mean **** once the tournament starts and any long-time baseball fan ought to know that. Congrats to Joe Torre and the Dodgers- they kicked the Cubs asses all over the field. What that has to do with playing in a weak division I don't know. :icon_huh:

I think the Dodgers/Phillies series will go at least six games and watching Manny and Howard is going to be great.

I love this time of year. :tup:

• Like Like x 1
  19. Thread_Killer

Ratings:
    +680
    BDH, I know you hate the Red Sox, but can you imagine a Sox-Dodgers World Series? Manny facing his old team, with Joe Torre in the dugout? And Derek Lowe on the mound?

Not to mention Nomar watching with a strained oblique. :lol:

20. Boltdiehard

Ratings:
    +1,171
    :lol:

I don't know if Tampa can get past Boston but I do know they will give them all they can handle.

• Like Like x 1
  21. BeerGuy

BeerGuy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +79
    I couldn't think of a better WS match-up for Boston.

Aside from good baseball, the story lines would be huge. How painful do you think it would be for the Yankees to watch their old, beloved coach bringing a new team to the Series while they wallow in their own mediocrity? All the former Boston players coming back to stick it to the Sox, including one of the best pure hitters to ever play the game. It would be great.

I was at the Sox ALDS clincher last night and it was a blast. Hopefully we can figure out the Rays and find our way back to the Series. I promised my wife I would get her to a game this time around.......

22. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    ...Dodgers/Sox would be a classic match-up and would get HIGH TV ratings. I hope it happens, great storylines for sure!

23. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +1,976

do you still think that now?

The Cubbies choke every year, now you have to play a real team and we are seeing what happens when that occurs.

24. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Who would have thought Philly was legit this year??

:icon_huh:

I think the entire NL turned out to be mediocre.

:icon_sad:

25. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +1,976
    and dont say the NL West was weak, you'll start something :icon_rofl:

26. Boltdiehard

Ratings:
    +1,171
    Wow. Just wow....

The Dodgers aren't out of this by any stretch of the imagination. Not with Manny as there is a huge drop-off in the Phillies starters after Hammels (Myers gave up five in five innings).

:icon_eek:

27. Boltdiehard

Ratings:
    +1,171
    Wow. Just wow....

Moyer went a whole 1 1/3 innings tonight.

Strong. :unsure:

28. Thread_Killer

Ratings:
    +680
    Yes, we are down 2-1 right now, but that is not Manny’s fault. On the contrary, Manny leads the majors this year in postseason home runs and rbi’s, and is batting .450.

Even if we lose this series, it is obvious that Manny has been a positive addition to this Dodger team. You seem to be the only person on the face of the earth who doesn’t see that. :icon_shrug:

29. Thread_Killer

Ratings:
    +680
    I didn't even know that Jamie Moyer was still alive.

He's old enough to have fathered Julio Franco.

:lol:

30. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,243
    Good luck TK!