1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Manny being Manny in LA

Discussion in 'All Other Sports' started by SDRaiderH8er, Aug 30, 2008.

1. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,976
    Do the Phillies dance in Dodgerville?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    Congrats on 5,000 posts, H8er!

:lol:

3. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +1,976

TK, I do not like players who feel that they are above the game and can do anything they want. There have been way to many instances where the phrase “Manny being Manny” could easily have been said “Manny's an Ahole”

Yes he is a very good player, but that ego of his takes takes away from that!

• Like Like x 1
  4. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +1,976
    Thanks

5. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    I agree.

6. Carrie1219

Carrie1219 Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +2,022
    I spent the week with alot of Phillies fans in Vegas. Good Times... Good times... :icon_mrgreen:

Anyway, I'm for anyone who plays the Duds, sooooo it was great to see the Phillies grab the NL Pennant.

7. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    I'm just glad LA lost... :lol:

8. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +1,976
    Well Manny can go become a Yankee like he has alway s wanted.

The Dodgers rented him and where unable to do anything with him.

On the upside he didnt do anything to make an ahole out of himself.

• Like Like x 1
  9. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Dodgers reportedly OK with Manny money over short term

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3658653

There could be a Manny Ramirez sequel in Hollywood if a blockbuster deal can be worked out.

The Los Angeles Dodgers will talk to the slugger's agent, Scott Boras, and according to an SI.com report on Wednesday, average salary might not be an issue. The duration of the contract is another matter, however.

"We don't have too many six-year deals,'' Dodgers general manager Ned Colletti said, according to the Web site. Actually, nobody on the Dodgers has a six-year contract.

Ramirez has said publicly that he is looking for a long-term deal. Sources told SI.com that the Dodgers might be willing to pay Ramirez Alex Rodriguez-type money, but only for two years.

"We'll know more after we sit down with Scott to gauge what's happening and see if there's some place we can meet in the middle,'' Colletti said, according to the site.

After the Dodgers were eliminated by the Phillies in the NLCS, Ramirez said: "I want to see who is the highest bidder. Gas is up and so am I."

The Yankees, Phillies, Mets and even the Blue Jays could possibly pursue Ramirez, but some will likely balk at paying him more than $20 million per season.

"It would really be a long shot for us to bring him to Toronto," Blue Jays GM J.P. Ricciardi said on Wednesday, according to FoxSports.com. "He's on our radar, but maybe not on our radar like some people will report. I don't see us getting involved in unbelievable, astronomical numbers. We would not go down that path."

Ramirez hit .396 with 17 homers, 53 RBIs, 36 runs scored, 74 hits and 35 walks in 53 regular-season games, leading the Dodgers to the NL West title.

He was even more potent in the postseason, hitting .520 with four homers, 10 RBIs, nine runs scored and 11 walks in eight playoff games.

The 12-time All-Star has hit 527 career homers, with another 28 in the postseason.

The Dodgers realize what Ramirez does for the team.

"Manny had a great run with this club," Dodgers owner Frank McCourt said after L.A.'s season ended. "I certainly hope he's back, but it takes two to tango. He had a great impact on these fans."

10. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    wow, this kind of money is what's wrong with MLB

:tdown:

Dodgers' offer to Manny would be second-highest annual salary

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3685272

The Los Angeles Dodgers want a full-length feature of the Manny Ramirez show after last season's short.

General manager Ned Colletti said Wednesday that the Dodgers made an offer to the free-agent slugger, and their pitch would give him the second-highest average salary in the sport behind Yankees third baseman Alex Rodriguez.

"If you saw the bid, it's nothing that we're embarrassed by," Colletti said at the GM meetings. "Manny was close to that number, anyway -- closer to that area than the last place he's been."

Rodriguez currently has the top average at $27.5 million under the 10-year deal he agreed to before last season. Mets pitcher Johan Santana is second at $22.9 million under the six-season deal he agreed to this year.

Ramirez, acquired from Boston on July 31, is coming off a $160 million, eight-year contract he signed with the Red Sox before the 2001 season.

"We said, 'Think about it for a while. It's not going to be there forever,'" Colletti said. "Things are always subject to change, and it depends on what else we do, to some extent. I've been asked a few times here if we're going to wait to see what happens with this before we do anything else. But I'm not sure we're going to have the luxury to do that. If there's something else that comes about that we feel we need to do, and the timeliness is there to do it, we'll have to do it."

When the Dodgers were eliminated from the playoffs last month, Ramirez expressed a desire to test the market.

"I want to see who is the highest bidder. Gas is up and so am I," he said then.

Gas prices have gone down sharply since then. His agent, Scott Boras, joked Wednesday.

"I believe that was a prognostication that was of a 24-hour period," Boras said. "Manny's stock career was short-lived."

Ramirez is 36, and the length of the contract could become as issue.

"There's always two elements to it. It's not just the dollar figure, it's for how long," Colletti said.

Boras appears to be seeking a lengthy contract. The Los Angeles Times reported on Wednesday that the the Dodgers' offer is believed to be for two years.

"We have now established records with a lot of veteran players, where we're seeing players perform at very high levels into their early 40s," Boras said.

Ramirez hit .396 with 17 homers, 53 RBIs, 36 runs scored, 74 hits and 35 walks in 53 regular-season games, leading the Dodgers to the NL West title.

He was even more potent in the postseason, hitting .520 with four homers, 10 RBIs, nine runs scored and 11 walks in eight playoff games.

The 12-time All-Star has hit 527 career homers, with another 28 in the postseason.

According to MLB.com, Boras said that he would meet with eight other clubs about various clients before the meetings end.

"I've already taken care of the Dodgers for these meetings," he said, according to MLB.com.

Talking to the Mets about Ramirez might not make sense.

"He's an offensive player," Mets general manager Omar Minaya of Ramirez, according to Newsday. "He's been a very good player. But for us, where we are right now, where is it we're going to invest? Our priority right now is we have to address our pitching. We have to look at that first."

Also Wednesday, the Dodgers declined Brad Penny's $9.25 million option, making the 30-year-old right-hander eligible to become a free agent.

Penny, who receives a $2 million buyout, was 6-9 with a 6.27 ERA in 17 starts and two relief appearances last season. He was bothered by shoulder problems for much of the year and went on the disabled list three times: from June 17 to Aug. 8, Aug. 14 to Sept. 10 and Sept. 24 through the end of the season.

He was acquired by the Dodgers from Florida in July 2004 and won 16 games in both 2006 and 2007.

"This past year, between getting hurt and not being able to come back, we just didn't see enough scope of work, really," Colletti said.

While speaking about Ramirez, Colletti addressed the possibility that Greg Maddux will retire. The 355-game winner turns 43 in April.

"I told Scott we'd love to have him back, and we're not going to be closing the door on Greg Maddux anytime soon," Colletti said. "I've known him for a long, long time. I respect who he is and admire him for what he's done. I know the impact he has on a club and on a franchise."

:bolt::bolt::bolt:

• Like Like x 1
  11. Thread_Killer

Ratings:
    +680
    We swept the four game series this past weekend:

DODGERS 7, SAN DIEGO 3
    Dodgers excel in homework

[​IMG]

Dodgers starting pitcher Chad Billingsley improved to 5-0 this season by giving up four hits and two runs over seven innings Sunday. He struck out eight.
    They sweep the Padres and set a franchise record by starting 10-0 at Dodger Stadium.

May 4, 2009
    Outfielder Manny Ramirez sang to himself and juggled a couple of baseballs as he walked out of the Dodgers' clubhouse, his spirits visibly lifted by what transpired on the field Sunday.

With a 7-3 victory over the San Diego Padres, the Dodgers improved their record at Dodger Stadium to 10-0, setting a franchise mark for the most consecutive victories at home to start a season.

FWIW: The Dodgers have beaten the Padres 10 times in the last 13 games. :icon_eek:

• Like Like x 1
  12. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +1,976
    and it only took almost a year since this thread started before you could say something like that.

And if you want to match payroll vs payroll, you should be killing us, not have 2 of those wins because of a walk off walk!

Nice job on the History lesson, how much closer are you now in the last 25 year overall win record?

13. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    Manny just being manny with a syringe mon.

See you in 50 games roid boy, and you can kiss the HOF goodbye hahaha.

14. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    word :lol: :icon_rofl: :flag:

15. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    :icon_eek::icon_eek::icon_eek:

gawd I hate the Dodgers!!

:lol::lol::lol:

16. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +1,976
    But I hate the Raiders more, those bums are in second place in my book!

17. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +1,976

do you forfiet those 10 wins?

18. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    Lmfao

19. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +1,976
    I need to get one of those Dodger Manny wigs they have.

The one with the Dodger Hat and the long dreads going on.

I will get some Turkey Baster’s and use them as Rollers for those dreads, after I make those Baster’s look like syringes.

20. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +1,976
    The Dodgers have sunk to an all time low, they have to cheat to beat the Padres!!!!

21. Thread_Killer

Ratings:
    +680
    Only if you do the same for every Padre victory with Ken Caminiti at 3rd.

:lol:

22. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +1,976
    Caminiti is dead, see what steriods do.

23. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    They should forfeit every game Manny played in!!

24. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Me too, fuq'em.

25. Thread_Killer

Ratings:
    +680
    You might have plenty of opportunities to buy a Manny wig.

Because Manny's medication mishap will drive down his value, significantly increasing the likelihood that Manny remains a Dodger beyond 2009.

This could actually be a positive occurrence for Dodger fans. :yes:

26. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +1,976

you dont like Manny TK?

27. Thread_Killer

Ratings:
    +680
    On the contrary, I was resigned to the fact that Manny was going to leave LA after his contract expires after this season.

But now, his value on the open market will probably drop to a level that the Dodgers would be willing to pay. Time will tell.

28. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +1,976

He had said that he wanted to be a Yankee, and with the money the Yankees were throwing around. I was positive he was headed that way. And from the Yankees stand point, sign Manny and let him kill the Red Sox in Boston.