1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Manti Te'o to visit the Chargers

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Apr 9, 2013.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,452
    Report: Manti Te'o to visit Chargers
    By Michael Gehlken 11:30 A.M.APRIL 9, 2013

[​IMG]

Several draft prospects have visited the Chargers this month.

Some are more high-profile than others.

Former Notre Dame inside linebacker Manti Te'o will make his next pre-draft visit in San Diego, ESPN's Ed Werder reported Tuesday. Teo will become the latest defender to arrive at the facility, joining a list that includes former Oregon inside linebacker Kiko Alonso, LSU defensive end Sam Montgomery and Washington State outside linebacker Travis Long, per sources.

Te'o recently visited the Lions.

He'd fill a need for the Chargers, who must replace Takeo Spikes at the starting Mike linebacker spot. Bront Bird and Jonas Mouton currently compose the depth chart.

Teo, at 6-foot-1 and 242 pounds, is an All-American who's become better known for his involvement in an apparent love hoax. He addressed reporters in February at the NFL Combine.

"I’ve learned just to be honest in anything and everything you do, from the big things to the small things," Te'o said in Indianapolis.

A projected late first-round selection, the 22-year-old likely will be off the board before the Chargers pick at No. 45 overall in the second round.

Alonso also is a potential Spikes replacement. He had 81 tackles in 2012 with four interceptions, six passes defensed, one sack and two forced fumbles. Draft analysts project him to last into the second, possibly third, round.

Montgomery and Long, like Alonso, visited the Chargers last week.

Montgomery didn't do himself any favors at the combine, fueling reported character issues when discussing how he elevated his game against stiffer competition.

"Some weeks when we didn't have to play the harder teams, there were some times when effort was not needed," Montgomery said. "But when we had the big boys coming in, the (Alabamas) or the South Carolinas, I grabbed close to those guys and went all out. Of course, this is a new league, the NFL and there are no small teams, small divisions; it is all Alabamas and LSUs every week. It's definitely something I have to get adjusted to, but I'm sure with the right coaching I will be fine."

He changed agents after the event. A league source said Tuesday that Montgomery is off many team's draft boards "due to character concerns." By hosting Montgomery, the Chargers gave themselves an extended chance to evaluate his character for themselves.

Long, about five months removed from surgery to repair a torn ACL, is said to be ahead of schedule in his rehab. He has begun running in a straight line, but work remains to regain some of his lateral movement.

Long played outside linebacker at Washington State, which runs a 3-4 scheme like the Chargers, and appeared in 47 straight games before the November knee injury.

2. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,696
    Was never a top 5 prospect.

I'd be fine with him at 45 if we get an OT in the 1st.

3. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,070
    Pretty much this. It's Liar's Month, in terms of hype (i.e. everyone's more highly thought of than they actually are), for everyone not just the front offices.

At #45, Mant'i can make a good case for BPA and, given the departure of Spikes and the fact that Mouton has proven nothing (and that Butler, while we want to extend him and he wants to be extended, has not yet been extended), also satisfies a need. Playing the TED or thumper role in a 3-4 is arguably his best fit in a pro defense.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,452
    Not to mention bringing much needed maturity to the locker room. :laugh:

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,070
    Call me crazy, but I think he could actually do really well in our locker room. I think (I'm not certain but I believe it's the case) Joe Barry was the LB coach at USC when they were trying to recruit Mant'i and lost out on him to ND. Most Hawaiians (I have family there) grow up Chargers fans because of geographic proximity and that guy named Junior Seau. Te'o case was less one of immaturity and more naivete and (this part is personal opinion from observation) listening to the wrong people on how to handle things. Like I said, he is/was very naive, a somewhat sheltered Mormon-raised Islander kid who I believe was confiding in the wrong members of his family (I don't think, or at least I'd hope, that his lying didn't come after telling his parents what was going on but rather cousins - of which Hawaiians have A TON - not much older than himself). Even if he is gay, I could really care less.

That said, the combination of Barry, Pagano, and Mike McCoy (who has experience with getting the most out of naive, over-exposed by the mainstream media guys) could be one of the better scenarios for Te'o to go into, one of the others being Belichick (who would simply tell him he really doesn't care what happened in the past, if he plays hard and plays well for him that's all he cares about), Tomlin (strong veteran locker room), and Leslie Frazier (combination of both, no-nonsense coach that his players will go to war for and a solid veteran locker room that's get his head straight).

I do actually believe that if a team can get Te'o's head in the right place, he can have Ray Lewis/Seau like intangibles. He's never going to be as physically gifted a linebacker as either of those men, but he can certainly be someone like London Fletcher who plays his part consistently, and who is the glue-guy in the defense that guys want to push themselves harder to impress (Merriman, for all his over-the-top theatrics, had this effect, Dielman had it on the offense), and it's the kind of player in that sense (the intangibles) that makes me forever bitter that the Texans took Brian Cushing one pick ahead of us and we were stuck with English (because everything I've read indicates we were ready to pull the trigger on Cushing if he was there).

6. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,626
    Can he play football well? Yes.

That's all I care about. If he's still there in the 2nd, go for it, but HELL NO in the 1st.

BEEF. Finally.

7. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +226
    I'll pass at 45. Maybe at 245. :whistling:

8. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629

I will forever rage that the Chargers missed out on Cushing. The idea of trading up to get Mathews, but refusing to trade up for a player like Cushing (or Watt) blows my mind.

I think that the article saying that we need to replace Spikes is somewhat silly. Butler is going to replace Spikes as the Mike. Do we need a new ILB? Probably, as we still haven't seen anything from Mouton. The idea of taking Teo in the 1st at 11 is simply absurd, however. I'd be ok with taking him in the 2nd, but only if the good OL prospects were already gone and Fisher or Johnson had fallen to us at 11. You don't draft slow LBers in today's NFL.

9. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,696
    Just a side note...could you imagine the roids rumors encircling this team after Merriman and Cushing? hahaha

10. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +498
    I don't understand the connection between Hawaiians and Junior Seau. Made many friends there during his Pro Bowl trips?

11. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    Is this sarcasm? :cautious:

You know Seau was Samoan right? It's like Yao Ming when he was playing for the Rockets generated a huge Asian fan base.

12. Moses

Moses Yeah Buddy!

Ratings:
    +275
    If he is still available at #45, I'd happily take him there, provided we've addressed OT by then.

Lane Johnson at #11 then Manti at #45, the draft would've got off to an excellent start for us.

I know Manti isn't the player that many hyped him up to be, of course not a top 5 pick or the next coming of Seau, but he's still a good player who would start for this team and be a contributor.

13. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +353
    I am not a fan of taking this dude at #45 either. I think he has some pretty gaping holes in his game, and physical attributes. I have heard folks refer to him as things like a "tackling machine". He is crazy slow, and to be honest I am not sure how good his tackling really is. His tackling was on display against NFL caliber lineman in the NC game against Bama. These are the same type of guys, and more that he will face on Sundays. Am I saying he is a terrible football player. No. I just would rather spend a top 45 elsewhere.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Nomad

Nomad Very Senior Member

Ratings:
    +127
    If we have a choice, I would like OT round 1 and another OT round 2.

15. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +633
    I don't think he is "terribly slow".

Brandon Spikes ran a 4.86, Navorro Bowman ran a 4.70 at their pro days. Donald Butler ran a 4.67 and then a 4.61 on his second try on his pro day.

Manti Te'o ran a 4.71 at his. Again, 40's are sometimes overrated. Manti Te'o isn't the most athletic ILB, but the other qualities you get from him, makes the pick at #45 a must. I wouldn't mind it at all at #45, I highly doubt he lasts that long though.

When you run a 40, your taught to have the least contact with the ground. You think these guys are running on their tip-toes when hitting a gap or chasing down a running back? Scouts also said Donald Butler never had the speed to run sideline to sideline to chase down running backs either.

16. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +353
    What other qualities do you speak of? The fact that the guy who is known for making plays against average teams? Or maybe it's the quality of taking on NFL caliber players at Bama, and getting flat out embarrassed? He missed what 5+ tackles in that game? IMO he has a difficult time shedding blocks against top OLine talent, and part of that was shown by his lack of strength (21 reps on the bench. Butler did 35). My take is that Manti Teo had a lot of benefit to his stats by a D- Line that dominated teams that weren't as good as they normally have been, or were expected to be (USC, Michigan, Michigan St). I have had a 2nd round grade on Manti Teo for quite some time. Like I said, his physical attributes are not that great, he has little lateral, and short area quickness, and he only did 21 reps on bench. The thing that grades him out in the second and not the 3rd is his football instincts, and intelligence.

Again I am not saying he is a terrible football player. I just don't think he is what he is made out to be.

17. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +498
    No, not sarcasm..I was being serious. I always assumed Samoan and Hawaiian are not the same thing.
    Like say Puerto Rican and Cuban or Australian and New Zealander or Norwegian and Finnish.

Did Japanese people follow Yao Ming even though he was Chinese?

• Like Like x 1
  18. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +633
    Well, being billed as the next Ray Lewis wasn't fair.

But to me, what your getting from Manti Te'o is a vocal leader on and off the field, and a high character guy. I could careless what happens off the field, as long as he doesn't get arrested or embarrass the Chargers organization. He also proved to be a very effective coverage ILB as well to balance out his game. He returned his senior season, promising he would improve his pass defense, and snagged 7 picks and defended a handful of passes. He's a thumper, he makes plays. He holds himself accountable as well, he didn't look to blame the hoax as apart of his bad performance against Alabama.

So your telling me a college career total of 437 tackles is all credited to his D-Line? Really? Or any of those 437 tackles didn't come against NFL talent? Hmm. Listen, I'm not saying he's a top-20 guy, but from #21 overall+ is where I would take him.

19. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +353
    And why not? He was putting up insane numbers, and is the thumper you claim him to be. Why is that not a fair comparison?

Well we can sit here and go back and forth for days. You have your opinion, I have mine. I think Manti Teo is going to be an average at best ILB in the NFL. You think he will be better than that. You think he is will be and should be taken in the #21 to #45 range. I 100% disagree. I agree that he will get reached upon by a team, possibly in that range but is not worthy of being there.

Fact is, you want him. I don't. I don't watch as much tape as most, but what I have seen there is a lot that he is missing. And I think there is going to be better value at #45 than him. I hope if we take him, he proves me wrong for the sake of the team. I never claim to know, or act like I know everything about the draft or what teams think. Hell he may turn out to be the greatest ILB ever who knows. That is all.

20. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings:
    +121
    Personally if all 3 elite lt's are gone by the 11th pick i say trade back to mid twenties. Preferbaly before pick 23. But it doesnt matter. If we can gain extra draft picks it would benefit us. Just think about not so much the person in which we draft. But to build through the draft. This team needs youth, play makers, and knowledge. Lets get good solid players. And next year maybe we can trade up for jake matthews.

21. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,632
    Think he would be available when we pick in the second round

IF we get a left tackle first
    AND IF he's the best player available

then I say sure why not? Imagine he and Butler could be a dynamic duo at ILB for a few years

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +633
    Being compared to one of the best ILB's ever to play professional football while your in college is totally unfair.

Your right, we have different opinions, never said yours was wrong or mine was right, just having a competitive talk here. This is what its all about right?

23. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +353
    It's a forum, thats what everything is about here.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I love the smell of football in the morning.

Ratings:
    +1,152
    • Funny Funny x 1
  25. Lightning's Girl

Lightning's Girl Mod Chick =) Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,153
    I don't like the guy. Period. He's an effin' idiot. Character does matter and the Chargers don't need a new headache.

IMHO.

• Like Like x 1
  26. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    I don't think that character is defined by intelligence. It appears that he was incredibly naive and trusting, as well as that he didn't think critically about his situation. Those aren't actions which one would usually point to as indications of a lack of character.

27. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +226
    Just say no to Te'o.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  28. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +353
    It "appears" that way

29. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,452
    It also "appears" that he lied about it after he discovered the truth...... that is a character issue.

• Agree Agree x 2
  30. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    I also heard he coincidentally goes to the rest room just as the dinner check is being brought to the table every time, so he doesn't have to pick it up. *Tisk* Tisk*:cautious: