1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Manu to the Bears

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Buck Melanoma, Mar 5, 2010.

1. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Even before he became a free agent, the Chicago Bears never tried to hide their interest in tight end Brandon Manumaleuna. So it's no surprise that just hours after he became a free agent, Manumaleuna agreed to a deal with the Bears.

Brad Biggs of the Chicago Tribune reports that Manumaleuna will sign a five-year contract with the Bears today, pending a physical.

Manumaleuna arrived at O'Hare airport Friday morning and confirmed that he has joined the Bears and is excited about playing for coaches he already knows from his days with the St. Louis Rams.

"I played for Mike Martz and Lovie Smith was the defensive coordinator. It was a great situation," Manumaleuna said. "This team has a chance to be real successful."

Although the signing will raise more questions about tight end Greg Olsen's role in Martz's offense, the Tribune reports that the more immediate question is about tight end Desmond Clark, who has a $475,000 roster bonus due today.

Link

Dorin Dickerson, anyone?

2. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Does this mean we can now sign two free agents if we want?

3. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    I love the guy. Great hands for such a monster. But he had some horrible whifs in the blocking game recently. Best of luck.

4. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Absolutely. The move doesn't surprise me since we signed Wilson to a 2 yr. deal. And he was with Martz in St. Louis.

Even Cutler should be able to hit a target this big. :icon_twisted:

5. paddyirishman

paddyirishman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +60
    Best of luck to him

Jeez its all happening thick and fast

6. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    We did sign Kris Wilson to a two year deal, so now we need one more spare tight end

7. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    Ah crap... this stuff is just killing my week.

8. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Yes. We can sign the one that we are allowed to sign for losing in the Div round. And we can sign one at a equal or lesser contract to what Manu got. But we can also sign any RFA that wasn't tendered and any player that is released from their contract with another team. The restriction only applied to players who are FA's because their contracts expired.

9. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Via con dios Manu, thanks for the service big guy.

You gotta admit it, this offseason has been pretty interesting and exciting. For the frist time in more than a few years I have a feeling of complete WTF IS GOING TO HAPPEN TO THE CHARGERS than the feeling of boredom sitting thru another offseason of not much happening at all.

10. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    No loss for me. His blocking (which is what he exists for) was not up to the mark in recent seasons. Yes he had decent hands for a big guy, but we can bring in a quicker TE now who can properly spell Gates when required. To me Kris Wilson is more like KO's replacement on special teams and not much more.

11. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
  12. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
  13. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195
    Thanks and best wishes to Brandon Manumaleuna.
    Liked him a lot. especially TD 2006 at Cincinnati.
    Chicago is in shape again, watch out Minnesota !

14. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    They still have a mental midget QB and a horrible line. They are still not going to be a contender next year especially since they have very few draft picks