1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

MANUSKY BIDES TIME BY STUDYING PLAYERS, FOES ON FILM

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, May 8, 2011.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,413
    CHARGERS: New defensive coordinator looks forward to working with players
    MANUSKY BIDES TIME BY STUDYING PLAYERS, FOES ON FILM

BY SCOTT BAIR - sbair@nctimes.com | Posted: Sunday, May 8, 2011 10:22 pm

SAN DIEGO -- Greg Manusky admits to being a loner at times like these. He locks himself in a film room, secures the shutters and drowns himself in minutiae to extract knowledge of the players he will someday coach. He pours over game tape, training camp film, college games and practice footage in search of how to best utilize his talent.

The Chargers' defensive coordinator has done so since he accepted the job early this offseason, to prepare for a 2011 campaign characterized by a franchise's quest for redemption. The Chargers missed the playoffs last season despite ranking first in total defense and second in sacks. Despite those rankings, they weren't good enough in important moments.

Manusky knows this. He can recite every negative stat from last season, report on every mistake that led to a 9-7 record and postseason disqualification. He's ready to move forward, but the NFL lockout won't let him.

So he pours over tape of next year's opponents in search of an Achilles ' heel. Manusky won't come out and say it, but it's clear that enough is enough. He has done all he can to prepare, and now it's time to let this coach coach.

Manusky is a people person and needs to interact with his players to better understand them.

"From an evaluation standpoint, it's been a little strange," he said. "I don't see how hard they're working and I don't get feedback on how they're doing and I don't get to see the tools that mom and dad gave them. It's a bit different in that regard, and it's hard to evaluate guys when they're not here. I can't see firsthand what they can and cannot do."

That's an important step, one that Manusky knows will come in time. The Chargers have a plan to enact once the lockout ends, which crams the important offseason activities into a brief period necessary for a season most everyone believes will inevitably be played.

Those around Manusky believe he'll fit right in, even without a full offseason to blend in.

"Greg is an outgoing, outspoken guy," Chargers coach Norv Turner said recently. "While I'm sure he'd like every moment possible to get to know his players during the offseason, he'll make the most of the time he has and get his work done."

Manusky has moved on from draft evaluation to player evaluation to his present job of dissecting opposition, a time killer at this stage, especially before the free agency period.

All that has come from his time in isolation, while getting to know players through film that he can't get to know in person.

"When you come to an organization, I find that you have to spend a lot of time by yourself to get a feel for what each guy can and can't do," Manusky said.

"We sit back with the coaches and discuss each individual and how we can accentuate their talents.

"You're never going to have 11 Pro Bowlers in the starting lineup, but for the most part we have good, solid football players, and we'll be looking to improve in some areas and maintain excellence in others. This is a very good group that I believe can play even better."

Manusky admits the Chargers should add a pass rusher to the mix, that he loves the defensive draftees and that he knows there's significant schematic work to be done in a compacted offseason that might not start until August.

That's why he was as active as possible last week, when players were allowed in the building before and during the draft.

"It was great to see and talk to a few of the players when we were able to for a few days last week," Manusky said. "My main goal was to get them excited about what we're doing and motivate them to work hard in preparation for the 2011 season."

Manusky does have a few legs up. All defensive position coaches have been retained and can give him a good idea of what players under contract can do. He was also the Chargers' linebackers coach from 2002-2007 and knows a few veterans on this defense.

Between experience and film study, Manusky believes he's as prepared as possible for when players are allowed to return.

"Things are already set and practice plans are in place," he said. "It's just a matter of when we can plug the players in."

Contact staff writer Scott Bair at 760-739-6642. For instant coverage, go to twitter.com/nctchargers.

2. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    If Ski can bring in the "Eat nails and shite bullet's" type of defense they'll be just fine. If it's more of the smoke and mirrors we have all seen the past few years, well then it will be the same old "Now you see em, now you don't D" I'd like to see the defenders hit the ball carriers so hard their grandmother feels it. If the D lays it all out on the field and the offense comes up short, it's a bit easier to deal with, to many times the D has allowed the opposing offense that critical 1st down and another shot of winning the game. It's got to stop. Please don't tell me what they're going to do, show me what they can do!

3. 1 COOL GUY 13x world Chmp

1 COOL GUY 13x world Chmp Jesus gives wisdom if you pray for it! Banned

Ratings:
    +4
    He should be spending time analyzing my top secret ThunderHammer D.

4. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    No one wants to waste their time with that crap

5. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  6. 1 COOL GUY 13x world Chmp

Ratings:
    +4
    1 cool guys Thunderhammer 001 - Copy.jpg
    Chargers Chess problem of the day by Chess-master: 1 COOL GUY. #1: What is wrong with this picture. Which Charger genius fan can 1st figure out what is missing in the picture I drew up above. #2: Which of these 2 defenses is harder to run or short pass vs? #3 Which D would be even more amazing once this problem is solved. 1magine what could be done once my *top secret* design is figured out by our Chargers staff. :)

7. 1 COOL GUY 13x world Chmp

Ratings:
    +4
    Let me know when you guys need a hint* I posted this for the worldly people who have to see things to believe. Many are blinded, but there has to be some who can see this drawing and understand whats wrong.

If you guys love these type problem solving drawings, I could do more on each player position and how they should be improved based on facts. Technical stuff that all adds up to becoming and deserving to be #1

You guys should be so happy to know your the 1st in the world to ever see my D. Since multi world champion 49ers, Bill Walsh there hasn't been any huge tactical advantage strats till my posts TBH.

8. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +542
    I'm not a charger genius fan by any measure, but statistically speaking, the more defenders on the field, the higher the probability of tackling a ballcarrier...like I said, I'm no genius. Thunderhammer D! ahahahha...looks like a Buddy Ryan D minus one defender.

• Like Like x 1
  9. 1 COOL GUY 13x world Chmp

Ratings:
    +4
    Joy Division CONGRADS!!!!!!!!! ♥ Buddy Ryan's D "46"-player named used faster player types on the field (I use even more than that did :)): Played near the LOS, but didn't play the gaps and was not special in design. Just awesome by using faster players in said positions normally occupied by larger men. Just by stacking the LOS doesn't revolutionize the NFL D's alone, many have tried and failed with that all out D style. But, in 1 way version my V1, I use somewhat of his idea, yet better positional issue. My D will be the raGe of the entire NFL, when someone steals it 1st, since the Chargers don't seem to care.

No other D ever used frees up 1 player, much less imagine how many other things I have built in that I don't want to post about in public.

Now think about what could be done with the only defense ever designed that free's up 1 player much less what could be done with the 10 that are on the field in Superior positions friend! Maybe GOD is with you. You my friend have seen the light 1st. Now if only someone could get the Chargers to understand what you have.

Have you tried to answer the #2 & #3 questions?

10. 1 COOL GUY 13x world Chmp

Ratings:
    +4
    1 cool guys Thunderhammer 001 - Copy.jpg <--- Click the picture to try and solve this problem fans.

11. chargerlipz

chargerlipz Leading the league in nose hairs.

Ratings:
    +151
    HammerThunder D, hell yeah!!! Let's do it!!!

• Like Like x 1
  12. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    You must be a genius. You only have 10 defenders on the field in your drawing. No wonder everyone thinks you are an idiot

13. 1 COOL GUY 13x world Chmp

Ratings:
    +4
  14. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    So yeah Manusky is doing what he should be doing, no complaints about that. Just want FA to start, get him some more toys toplay with

15. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    Game, set, match!

16. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    ^^^^THIS^^^^

17. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    not only that, you have to tell the offense they can only run a play with 2 backs, and everyone must be around the ball, they are not allowed to run anyone in motion and they canot have any wideouts.

18. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    It's like sitting around just waiting for them to get burned or waiting for that 15 yard penalty to happen. You knew it was going to happen. I just have never felt at ease with our defense.

19. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Me neither. I still laugh when I hear people say "Yeah, but we were the #1 defense if the NFL last year". Just makes me realize how little they watch or understand about the game if they actually believe we were the best, or even one of the best

20. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings:
    +162
    dude ur d is basically a 4-2-3. which makes no sense looks like ur trying to run a 4-3 or 46 rather than a 3-4

21. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Exactly, I don't know how many times I had this thought, what's going to happen this time? I know some will say "look at the stats" and the ranking stands, except during crunch time, when it matters most. The Bengal game was the only one I missed last year and I'm glad for that. After seeing the highlights and reading the stats, I'd have been embarrassed for the team.

22. 1 COOL GUY 13x world Chmp

Ratings:
    +4
    Your not supposed to understand my D. If you did, every team in the NFL would already use it as their main D. Also notice I drew 1 version of it with 10 players. The point was to for those who are genius (.002% the population) to imagine how many advantages this formation will give your team over all other D's ever invented. A great D coach would be so amazed that over all these years 1 COOL GUY came up with the only D that will give your team a whole extra player to use for blitzing, double coverage or extra safety etc. If you ever figure out how many ways my D would be #1 you'll be so happy. Imagine just from what you see what could be done. Then realize how many other top of the line stuff I have built in that even makes this D even more amazing. I might start to give out more my top secret things since the Chargers don't understand or are willing to call me and get the full plans.

I mean come on? Our 2011 Chargers are still using a 1940's D? I don't expect anyone who runs that D to grasp mine, sadly.

If I didn't know I have gold to offer the Chargers I would have never came to the forums to try and help them get to #1. I wish I could post about why my D will rev the NFL when some teams pick this up from these forums. Even if someone steals it, they don't have the full plans to fully utilize it. I didn't want to ever post this online, I begged the Chargers to look at it in private for years.

I honestly laugh at all the $ these D cord make and yet they use a 1940 D? It took me a whole 5 min to come up with what I now believe as an absolute fact to be the best ever D. It is so much better than ppl will understand till they see it working.... Add to it all the other top tactical tricks build in and it could easily win a team a SB with an average offense. What's exciting is all my plans over 12+ years pro level have always worked as designed or better in real $ events. So I have to believe it will work better than even I expect at the pro level.

Last year i posted about my offense and Oregon stole much of it. So assume u will get the pleasure of seeing some teams steal my D and become #1 d next years.

This country USA and our team need more people like me who try do something about failures. I for one have come to the forums to try and do something about our suxs smoke and mirrors D. God gave me the gift of tactics, and i use it for good.