1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Manusky is Chargers' new defensive coordinator

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by BoltsFanUK, Jan 14, 2011.

1. BoltsFanUK

BoltsFanUK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +848
    By Kevin Acee

Friday, January 14, 2011 at 12:40 p.m.

Always the favorite -- for his experience as a play caller and his experience with the Chargers, as well as his aggressive philosophy -- Greg Manusky has reached an agreement to be the Chargers' defensive coordinator.

Manusky, 44, spent the past four years as the San Francisco 49ers defensive coordinator, including the past two seasons actually calling plays for their 3-4 defense, the same system the Chargers run. Manusky spent 2002-06 coaching the Chargers linebackers. The Chargers wanted to retain Manusky after the 2006 season but lost him during the uncertainty before Marty Schottenheimer was fired.

Manusky was at Chargers Park on Thursday and Friday after spending Wednesday in Dallas and Tuesday in Arizona interviewing for those teams' coordinator positions.

Manusky played linebacker in the NFL for 12 seasons, something players talked admiringly of the past few days and also respected about Rivera.

The Chargers also interviewed current assistants John Pagano (linebackers) and Steve Wilks (secondary) this week after former defensive coordinator Ron Rivera was named the Carolina Panthers head coach on Tuesday.

Many current players had privately lobbied for Pagano or Wilks. Pagano is seen as a great teacher who has bonded with most of the team's linebackers. Wilks unified the secondary and got them playing at their most consistently high level in at least a decade.

Among those who favored his current position coach was linebacker Shaun Phillips. But Phillips also played for Manusky his first three seasons and endorsed the hire. He even pointed out that Manusky mentored Pagano when they were on the Chargers staff together from '02-06.

"Coach Manusky was my first linebacker coach, and him and Pagano did a great job tooling me and the other guys up," Phillips said. "One thing Manusky taught me is to be ready to play at all times. ... He's a pretty intense guy. He's one of those get-in-your-face coaches. He expects a lot of you."

The team plans on retaining its entire defensive staff.

Manusky is Chargers' new defensive coordinator - SignOnSanDiego.com

2. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    Fair play Chris I couldn't understand how it took so long for a thread on this...... Go Greg!!.

3. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    I like the sound of these comments.

"Coach Manusky was my first linebacker coach, and him and Pagano did a great job tooling me and the other guys up," Phillips said. "One thing Manusky taught me is to be ready to play at all times. ... He's a pretty intense guy. He's one of those get-in-your-face coaches. He expects a lot of you."

The team plans on retaining its entire defensive staff.

4. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
  5. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
  6. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    I hope he's bringing some downright mean and nasty with him.

7. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    OK you wanted it official. :p We all knew about it before it was official. Kind of like a missed Kaeding FG. :icon_rofl:

8. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    The Chargers finished this past season ranked No.1 in total defense, and no one was fooled.

Not Ron Rivera, now the head coach in Carolina, and not the people he left behind in San Diego.

“We can get better,” head coach Norv Turner said recently.

Whoever was the Chargers defensive coordinator going forward, there were going to be changes. Among other things, Turner wanted more aggressiveness when ahead, which means more pressure and tighter coverage.

Greg Manusky didn’t have to be convinced.

“I want these guys to be balls to the wall,” Manusky said yesterday. “I want a relentless defense that goes after them ... You never want the offense to dictate to you what to do.”

Always the favorite -- for his experience as a play caller and his experience with the Chargers, as well as his relentless style of defense and personality -- Manusky on Friday was officially named Rivera’s successor as the man running the defense.

Manusky, 44, spent the past four years as the San Francisco 49ers defensive coordinator, calling the plays for their 3-4 defense, the same system the Chargers run.

Manusky spent 2002-06 coaching the Chargers linebackers. The Chargers wanted to retain him after the 2006 season but lost him during the uncertainty before Marty Schottenheimer was fired.

The Chargers also interviewed current assistants John Pagano (linebackers) and Steve Wilks (secondary) this week.

Both, along with line coach Don Johnson, were extensively involved in the formulation of the defense under Rivera, and Manusky said they would continue to be. Pagano worked under Manusky from ’02-06.

“You have to build a defense,” Manusky said. “Ron and John Pagano and these guys have built a good defense.”

Many current players had privately lobbied for Pagano or Wilks. Pagano is seen as a great teacher who has a strong bond with most of the team's linebackers. Wilks unified the secondary and got them playing at their most consistently high level in at least a decade.

Among those who favored his current position coach was linebacker Shaun Phillips. But Phillips also played for Manusky his first three seasons and endorsed the hire.

Turner said that was part of the appeal as he got to know Manusky.

"Greg is an extremely focused guy," Turner said. "I think he's a very intense guy. It comes across in talking to him ... He's got a toughness about him. He's got a high energy about him that I think will help our guys."

Manusky was at Chargers Park on Thursday afternoon, and it was all but decided he would get the job. He returned Friday morning to finalize the deal.

Manusky had been in high demand. After interviewing a week ago for the Carolina job that went to Rivera, Manusky spent this past Tuesday in Arizona and Wednesday in Dallas interviewing for those teams' coordinator positions.

“My world tour,” Manusky said.

He said he joined the Chargers, in part, to work with Turner.

“I like the opportunity here,” he said. “Norv has always been the guy who is my nemesis. He’s so smart.”

Moreover, when asked why he chose the Chargers over the Dallas Cowboys, Manusky said San Diego gave him the best chance to win.

“I want to go to the Super Bowl,” said Manusky, who played linebacker in the NFL for 12 years. “I just ain’t shuffling my feet. I’ve been doing that in San Francisco for four years. I’m sick of that. I want to take to the track and start running. I want to do something good.”

The Chargers have hired two coaches this week, having brought in special teams coach Rich Bisaccia on Tuesday, and may have one to go. Tight ends coach Rob Chudzinski is the favorite to become offensive coordinator in Carolina.

Manusky is Chargers' new defensive coordinator - SignOnSanDiego.com

9. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    When you look at defenses you look at players like Ray Lewis and Troy Polamalu. The Ravens defense has been dominate for years. I mean they won a SB with Trent Dilfer. We need to get the right players in place here. If we do not draft the correct players then Manusky is just pissing in the wind.

10. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,422
    Wait, you mean you need players AND coaches to win games?

11. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    unless you have Rex Ryan. He can do both!

12. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,887
    It's all in the tude, you're either a bad boy or a choirboy.

13. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +378
    What's higher then number 1?

14. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    Number 1 with a set of Superbowl rings.

15. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Are you referring ot the bogus stat that says we had the best defense in the league? Anyone who believes that either doesn't watch football, or just doesn't understand it.

Our defense has a lot of good for improvement. Time will tell if this is the guy to help with that improvement or not, but our defense have plenty of room to improve

16. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +378
    Are defense is far from perfect but they did play like a #1 defense most of the year. Just horrible inconsistencies. Maybe the new DC can make us better. Can't see that with when we have the same players.

17. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Sorry to break it to you, but no they didn't. Overall, they very well weren't even a top 10 defense.

18. ETicket

ETicket Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +367
    The letter "W".

19. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    XLV

20. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    XLVI

21. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,887