1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Mar. 12 is Open Season on Raven URFAs

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Fossil, Feb 5, 2013.

1. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +318
    The Baltimore Ravens have just over a month to bask on the glory of their football world championship. The free agency period will open on March 12, and G.M. Ozzie Newsome has likely already begun assessing the state of his team, which is littered with question marks.
    By our count, the Ravens have 13 impending unrestricted free agents, at least eight of whom made significant contributions to the team’s Super Bowl run. Seven more Ravens are scheduled for restricted free agency.
    Quarterback Joe Flacco tops the list of unrestricted free agents, and he is at the very least expected to be retained via the franchise tag. Outside linebacker Paul Kruger — Baltimore’s best pass rusher throughout this past season — is next up as a crucial impending free agent. Safety Ed Reed, left tackle Bryant McKinnie, linebacker Dannell Ellerbe, cornerback Cary Williams, and nose tackle Maake Kemoeatu are other unrestricted free agents who started for the 2012 Ravens. Cornerback Chris Johnson, tight end Billy Bajema, safeties Sean Considine and James Ihedigbo, linebacker Ricky Brown, and defensive lineman Ryan McBean round out the 13 UFAs.
    Core impending restricted free agents include tight ends Dennis Pitta and Ed Dickson, and defensive lineman Arthur Jones. Kick returner David Reed, offensive lineman Ramon Harewood, long snapper Morgan Cox, and safety Emanuel Cook are also slated for restricted free agency.
    The Ravens will open the offseason $5 million above the 2013 salary cap, per ESPN’s Adam Schefter.
    Inevitably, Newsome is going to have to make some tough cuts and allow some key free agents to walk.

(As per PFT)
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/

2. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    Enough about them, lets talk about the Bolts

3. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +318
    Ellerbe would be a crazy addition to the Bolts.

4. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    I really don't see a Ravens repeat.

I wonder how big of a splash that Tommy Telescope will really make in FA?

5. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    Agreed but I don't believe we will make a huge impact in free agency, I see us mainly focusing on resigning Vasquez, Novak, DX, and Cason with a few here and there additions and subtractions but nothing huge or too exciting.

Our main priority should be on the offensive side of the ball (O line, TE, RB,) while adding OLB and CB.
    ILB isn't too much of a need, look at last year D Williams (I remember everyone joking how we signed the wrong Williams) was probably the cheapest and less exciting pick up last year, but now is probably one of the main players people would like to see come back. Same with DX.

6. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +636
    I don't know if I'm ready to re-sign Demorrio Williams. The guy is a 3rd down/coverage linebacker. He isn't a starter by any means. If he is willing to sign vet min. then maybe I'd look at him, but he will be 33 and if we keep Spikes he's 36, I mean how older do we want to get at that position! lol

I want a young guy, Danell Ellerbee, Larry Grant, or Phillip Wheeler, to be paired with Butler for years to come. He's a guy we should focus on retaining so he doesn't hit FA in 2014.

With Butler and a young ILB, I'd still hold on to Spikes as well, that is if we can. And if he takes $1.5M instead of $3M, that'd be real nice too. I'd hold on to Spikes as a leader on defense. He's another locker room guy, we can't lose too many of those dudes this year.

7. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +636
    Anquan Boldin could be cut as well, I'd dump salary for him, I smell reunion here in San Diego (Whiz & Quan). :)

8. Kj1551

Kj1551 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +12
    Seeing as the ravens drafted upshaw last year, they'll probably use him and do what it takes to keep Ellerbee. I can see them letting Kruger walk before Ellerbee, but it may be difficult to keep either of them depending on what Flacco demands. Either way, Kruger or Ellerbee with Ingram and Butler would be something special...a man can dream right?

9. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +636
    However Flacco's contract will be split up, he will be a $100M man. Whether it's making $10-20M this season, that puts the Ravens over the cap. Think they under $5M to play with now. So we could see some big cuts from them.

10. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,723
    I'd take Cary Williams off their hands for them.

11. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +636
    I would too, but you have to think, he looked that good due to the Raven's pass rush this post season. Can we put together a pass rush like they did? That defense just got hot at the right time. They really only gave up 21 points to Manning & Co on the road in the playoffs. That's pretty impressive.

I think Cary will seek a pretty decent sized contract.

Anybody interested in Mario Manningham? Word on the street is he'll be released, I'd take him in a heart beat, much rather pay him Malcolm Floyd's salary than Malcolm Floyd.

12. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    They do have Rey Lewis's contract and possibly Ed Reed's contract coming off the books. So that will make it easier to pay Flacco. But they will still be limited on who else they can bring in or re-sign. Flacco turned down a previous contract that would have paid him $16mil/yr because he is looking for Brees or Manning type money. It wouldn't surprise me if he is franchised this year

13. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    Whats crazy to me is even with that crazy FA spending spree Philly did, they will still have the most money to spend on FA's this year