1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Marcus McNeill - "Burrito Man"...

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by SanDiegoRon, Sep 1, 2006.

1. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    here's the article Jay Paris spoke of yesterday...

Monster McNeill on display for Chargers
    By: JAY PARIS - Staff Writer

SAN FRANCISCO ---- A glum Marcus McNeill stares at his mending left hand, contemplating its ability to handle a daunting task. Can the surgically repaired broken paw handle a carne asada burrito?

"I think it can," McNeill said, his smile returning.

McNeill is big, and he's big on Mexican food. Since arriving in San Diego as a second-round pick from Auburn, the Georgia native has felt the burn of zesty tacos and burritos.

"I love them,'' he said.

The Chargers would embrace a McNeill who devours right defensive ends with the same tenacity, starting tonight against the San Francisco 49ers.

The game concludes the Chargers' exhibition season, with McNeill being exhibit No. 1 at Monster Park. While the rest of the offensive starters are to sit, the Chargers pray McNeill ---- their 6-foot-7, 336-pound monster ---- shines.

"It's all about technique and footwork now,'' McNeill said.

But, really, it's all about the Chargers exhaling.

McNeill was drafted in case veteran Roman Oben couldn't go in the Sept. 11 opener ---- he can't. In case journeyman Leander Jordan didn't build on his offseason promise ---- he didn't, and he suffered a stinger last week.

Enter McNeill, a starter by default, both medically and athletically.

McNeill's fiddle, though, is hardly fit. The left hand he recently broke looks like the club face on a driver, swallowed by tape, wraps and bandages.

While he's not 100 percent, he's all-the-way in to play. He needs to show the Chargers' brass that employing a rookie left tackle to protect first-year starting quarterback Philip Rivers isn't suicide.

"I'm confident in him,'' said Rivers, who won't play tonight. "He is so big and the thing is his technique is good. Maybe a guy does win a little bit on him, but he is so big that he is able to hold him off.''

Others will hold McNeill's unbroken hand for aid. Left guard Kris Dielman will cheat a little. A beefy tight end will be attached to McNeill's left hip. Maybe a running back provides an obstacle.

"You are a unit; the whole offense line is protecting the quarterback not just the left tackle,'' McNeill said. "That's how I look at it. A lot of times my guard has my back.

"But sometimes I might end up on that island, one-on-one, but you can't help that. Most the time you have help; everyone has help on the offensive line.''

Heaven help the Chargers if McNeil's play goes down like a bad burrito. It's hard overstating how important this likable, 22-year-old with a 6XL shirt size is to an organization promising its fans a deep playoff run.

"Yeah it's a lot on your plate,'' said McNeill, alluding to a subject he's familiar with. "But if you look at it like that, you will overwhelm yourself.'' McNeill will avoid that, just like thinking of that pain in his left hand.

"The hand is not that bad,'' he said. "Really, it's building confidence in it. You have to have confidence to be able to want to punch with that hand because you still know it is broke; you still know you have had surgery on it.

"But the more I'm out there, the more I'm punching people with it, seeing it's not hurting ---- I'm kind of testing the limits. I plan on doing pretty good with it.''

That would be good enough for the Chargers.

2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    I like Parris' articles, he does an outstanding job all around.

Btw I need to take McNeil to the best burrito place in San Diego; El Cotixan!

3. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    Where is that?

4. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    I think this is the one Ant is talking about:

El Cotixan
    3250 Greyling Dr
    San Diego, CA 92123
    (858) 467-1671

5. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    I believe there's one on Genesse & Balboa, as well...

6. Drunk

Drunk Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +202
    Theres a bunch of them around.........

7. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    One thing I have about y'all out there is bringing up the best mexican food in the world, as far as I'm concerned. Man what I'd do to get my jands on a big ole fat carne asada buritto. You fckers. :icon_evil: :bolt: :icon_toast:

8. Drunk

Drunk Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +202
    Who woulda thought the best mexican food in the world would be found next to.....:icon_eek: MEXICO.

9. compubolt

compubolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +186
    I had a Nico;s carne buirrito yesterday......mmmmmmmmmmm so good :)

10. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    THE most outrageous burrito I've EVER had, was in this hole-in-the-wall in Santa Rosa, Cal... it was Marcus-sized and literally covered an entire 12 inch plate for $5... they made the tortilla's pizza size and I was never able to eat one completely in one sitting - although I tried hard *man*.... :lol:

maybe we go up there after the 9ers game... and pig out... :icon_rofl:

11. compubolt

compubolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +186
    I heard in mexican jails there are man sized burritos too. :lol: :tdown: :icon_eek:

12. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    Something tells me you guys will have quite the appetite. :nana_rasta:

13. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    There is these two that are much closer to Lakeside than the one between Montgomery Field and Qualcomm Stadium.

El Cotixan
    762 N. Johnson Ave.
    El Cajon, CA 92020
    (619) 440-2608

and

El Cotixan
    1021 W. Washington Ave.
    El Cajon, CA 92020
    (619) 440-0245

I hope that this can help a little and be closer to Lakeside, CA.

14. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    :lol:

Yeah, the more "hole-in-the-wall" the Mexican food joint is, the better food turns out to be.

They focus time and money on the grub, not the atmosphere. :yes:

WHen I used to go to TJ a lot, I ate at the Mexican food places on Revolucion and most of them were just decent, being too Americanized for tourists, for my liking.

I ended up going to the side-street mom-and-pop joints where it looks like you are in the extended kitchen of someone's home. They served the greatest stuff and always free hot corn tortillas.

15. Drunk

Drunk Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +202
    Igrew up on this one right here...

16. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Whenever I get back home to San Diego, I'l be sure to eat my fill you can bet your *** on that.

17. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    I'm working on a method where I can overnight this grub to the places where illegal immigration hasn't quite caught on. :lol:

18. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    :lol: - The mexican grub does kickass but so does the grub in San Antonio....even though I am a so. cali native - the grub in Texas is tops.....no worries as I will eat enough for both of us so enjoy the jalapenos :icon_mrgreen:

• Like Like x 1
  19. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    In Texas, it is real hard to get menudo (boiled cows stomach lining and hominy and a cows foot) during the week but here in Cali it is easier....yummie!!!! :icon_toast:

20. Drunk

Drunk Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +202
    Never had Texas food, but it must be good. A little bit different style I hear...

21. Critter

Critter BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +23
    It's funny how you take things like this for granted.

Up here in NorCal we still have quality mexican food but when I visited my brother-in-law in Philly.....not a single mexican restuarant in that entire city. How is that possible?

It never occured to me I could go somewhere within the US and not find a mexican restuarant.

22. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    NoCal needs to import some Mexicans from San Ysidro, fresh off the border crossing through that hole in the fence. Tell them to open a few "xxxBerto's"

23. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654

I miss the barbacoa in Texas.....you do not find it out here as tasty or even at all ....

24. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,887

Trumpie, I never thought I'd say this to you. Frucl off.:icon_evil: :icon_evil: :icon_evil:

25. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Family I have up that way say it is impossible to find mexican food (Ohio - Minnesota - Wisconsin - Kentucky) and anyone who opens up a mex-joint will be a millionare just that easy......

26. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    :icon_rofl: :icon_rofl: :icon_banana: :icon_toast: :icon_party:

27. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,887

It's funny in a way, I seen mexican joint's here before I moved out but never gave it a thought. After I moved here and went and tried it out I knew I was screwed.

28. Drunk

Drunk Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +202
    What does it taste like? Never had mexican food outside US or Mexico....