1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Marcus McNeill reportedly says negotiations with Chargers will start "this week"

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Jul 23, 2010.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Posted by Mike Florio on July 23, 2010 4:28 PM ET

[​IMG]

Though most of the focus regarding contractual controversies in San Diego have centered of late on Chargers receiver Vincent Jackson, left tackle Marcus McNeill also remains unsigned. And he also saw his restricted free agency tender slashed from $3.168 million to $600,000 by the team when he didn't accept it by June 15. And he also was included in G.M. A.J. Smith's eulogy for the two key players.

But perhaps the ice is thawing. McNeill reportedly said at his youth football camp that negotiations will commence next week with the team.

Here's the caveat. The report appears in a small Decatur, Georgia newspaper (McNeill grew up there), and no specific quote from McNeill appears in which he says that negotiations will commence next week. Moreover, the sentence prior to the one explaining that "McNeill said he will enter negotiations with the Chargers this week" states that McNeill is an unrestricted free agent.

For now, we're skeptical. But we're checking this one out. It could be that the Chargers have begun to realize that protecting a nine-figure quarterback from violent trauma possibly trumps being a hard *** at the bargaining table. Or it could be that the only decisions McNeill will be making in the near future relate to whether he'll take a nap on the couch or on his bed.

UPDATE: A source with knowledge of the situation says that no talks are scheduled, and that no discussions have occurred since the middle of June.

:popcorn:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...otiations-with-chargers-will-start-this-week/

2. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,583
    If true, this makes sense with Training Camp starting next weekend.

3. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    If true I wonder do they start things with Gates too.

4. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    You would hope the front office keeps an open mind in these matters.

:tup:

5. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    Don't know why contract talks would be so secretive. Who knows whats really going on. Don't anyone get their hopes up.

6. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    I wouldn't say secretive, he's just been out of contact from everyone.

7. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    As the Bolts are approaching the start of training camp, they must not have full confidence in Tra Thomas. McNeil has the leverage now, as far as I'm concerned, and a Dumerville-like situation could start up in San Diego real soon. That ended in a big signing for Denver and there's no reason that wouldn't be the case here.

8. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    According to Acee's "sources" it is untrue.

SubscribeChargers MailbagAsk a question
    Send a question to the Chargers Mailbag.

* All Fields are required

First Name:

Last Name:

Phone:

City:

Email:

Question:

http://www.signonsandiego.com/bigmailbag/chargers/

Mailbag Answered Questions:
    Q:

Reif Reifsnyder

12:06 PM Jul 23, 2010
    Hear anything about this? From Robert Naddra in the Dekalb County "Champion," 7/23/2010: "McNeill has played four years in the NFL with the San Diego Chargers and is an unrestricted free agent after his original four-year contract ended last season. McNeill said he will enter negotiations with the Chargers this week."
    A:

Kevin Acee

12:10 PM Jul 23, 2010
    I am told the sides have not talked since mid-June and there is nothing to that report. Don't mean to question Robert Naddra's accuracy in any way, but that is flat out refuted by two people I've talked to.

9. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    More likely they think they can go with Thomas but getting McNeil back would be huge

10. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    I have a feeling even Dombrowski might beat Thomas out. You really have to wonder how much he has left in the tank. The way we're looking at LT is beginning to scare me, come back Leander Jordan all is forgiven!!. :lol:

11. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I have a feeling that Dombrowski might beat out McNeill.