1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Marcus "The Matador" Mcneill

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by VJ IS THE MAN!!!!!, Jan 11, 2009.

1. VJ IS THE MAN!!!!!

VJ IS THE MAN!!!!! BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +16
    I really feel that Marcus is coming to every game unprepared. He needs to start carrying a red cape because he gets beat around the corner everytime. The ref must feel bad to throw the flag because he would be exhausted.

remember 1 thing.......................

VJ IS THE MAN!!!!!

2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    He's still pretty solid and did well but yeah he's one guy. He can't block a blitz from the strong side or from up the middle. I do think he's gotten somewhat worse since his rookie year but that doesn't ignore the fact he's very stable, very effective and he can't be blamed when alot of the other parts of your OL suck.

3. VJ IS THE MAN!!!!!

Ratings:
    +16
    Very true but you are supposed to improve as your career moves on. He is stable and he needs help. Looking forward to next year!!!!!

remember 1 thing...........................

VJ IS THE MAN!!!!!

4. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    He hasn't fallen off the wagon like Cromartie or Igor. I think he needs to learn better to counter people's movements designed to counter him. Its mind games and thinking ahead. His talent and ability have not dropped

5. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Jesus Christ.

We were playing the best D in the league. Marcus did fine today, with only a hiccup or two. Be more worried about the MIDDLE of the line and right side were all the guys hitting Rivers were coing from.

• Like Like x 1
  6. VJ IS THE MAN!!!!!

Ratings:
    +16
    RIDE THE LIGHTNING,

1 or 2 hiccups can be very costly! He has declined and is a ghost some plays. Thats if he is not holding and getting caught. He should be thankful he has a pro bowler next to him. By the way the best D doesnt give up 170 on the ground when they said they were going to RUN!!!!.

7. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Every OLman will have hickups. The best OLmen give up sacks. It happens. McNeils up side is HUGE!

Cut the kid some slack, there were a lot of hicups on this team this season. You cant just point at any one thing, the all are interconnected.

8. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Please show me a perfect player or coach that never makes mistakes. I'll be waiting.:bolt:

9. montanabolthead

montanabolthead BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +30

McNeill did a good job, but as was stated earlier, he's only one of five and if all of the O line isn't hitting on all cylinders, we're screwed. Yesterday's game was a case where we couldn't even turn over the engine. I'll take McNeill anyday!

10. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Quit being retarded.

McNeill is the second best lineman we have behind Dielman. If you can't see that, I can't help you.

11. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    VJ should have caught that pass from Rivers.

I think his status as "The Man" is definitely questionable at this point.

This place is ridiculous right now.

But highly entertaining.

:lol:

12. Nomad

Nomad Very Senior Member

Ratings:
    +155
    Big Mac started the season with a neck injury, I wonder if he really healed 100%? The Chargers do not publish all of the injury information and maybe they just kept it quiet? It will be interesting to see what happens in the next couple of weeks.

13. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    McNeill is fine. I'm happy for him to continue at LT. Barring injury he is only gonna get better. Sign him.

14. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Replace the entire right side. Goff goes - he's a FA & only getting older. Clary? Backup at best. If it weren't for Shane "T-Rex" Olivea's collapse, Clary wouldn't be starting. Hardwick is in jeopardy, too. He'd better do a LOT of strength training in the offseason.

Right now it's full on finger-pointing time. Everybody has a villain or two for what happened this year.

Mine is still Norv. :icon_evil: (Enter B4L) :icon_tease:

15. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820
    He was our second best lineman and he has gotten worse each of his first three years. I don't have any evidence of this but here is what I think. I think that Marcus doesn't put the time in on the off season. The stenosis of the spine situation might be an excuse to stay out of the weight room. Having millions of dollars, loving your food, and being in your mid twenties can make some players less than motivated in the off season.

I recall reading about Hardwick working to bulk up in the off season. It is well known that Dielman is a workout warrior and just looking at his physique, you can tell he gets himself in better shape every season. What I want to hear about McNeill this off season is how he replaced 30 pounds of fat with 30 pounds of muscle, or what a great fitness regiment he was on to improve his quickness.

He is our most talented lineman but if he doesn't start working harder off the field, than I fear this slide will continue.

16. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    There are a number of Chargers who need to be workout warriors this off season. McNeill is one, Clary is another as are Hester, LT, Davis, Chambers, Hardwick (who really couldn't work his legs when he was healing in the offseason) and both of our DE's.

17. auctoritas

auctoritas BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +40
    We should start worrying about McNeill after the right side of the line is at least competent.

18. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,746
    bingo

19. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820

I disagree. The Seahawks proved that you could win consistently with a dominant LT (Walter Davis) and LG (Steve Hutchinson). The rest of their o-line was avearge. Hardwick and Goff are both fine even though Goff is slipping due to age and we do need to start grooming his replacement. Clary took a big step back this season, but even at that he stands up to what Olivea was doing most of his time starting.

The big difference is the left side. In 2006 we could run to the left even when everyone was expecting it and you could put McNeill on an island against even the best DE's and he would hold his own.

20. VJ IS THE MAN!!!!!

Ratings:
    +16
    sdchrger,

Agree with all of your posts. Thanks for your input!

21. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976

Also realize Goff played on a bad knee all season long. Again, conditioning and med staff are in question for me.

22. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    Exactly. We can win a Super Bowl with McNeil at left tackle.

That said, I do think that Marcus needs to improve his work-ethic and get in better condition.

I also think that Marcus breaking both of his hands helped in his rookie year, taught him to use his feet better. He seems to have regressed in this area the last two years.

Maybe we should have somebody break his hands again. :lol: