1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Marcus Thomas draft profile video

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by matilack, Jul 19, 2008.

1. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
  2. J-Grease

J-Grease BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    I grow weary of always reading about how Thomas is a "big back" at 215 lbs. Draftniks say it, AJ said it, and Norv said it. LT has always been listed at at least 221 and is probably a few pounds heavier than that now, and no one would call LT a big back. And, LT's weight is built into a smaller, more compact frame while Thomas is 3" taller and looks to have more of a lanky build. What's the deal? Is it just that college RBs tend to be smaller (making Thomas relatively big), or is it simply more evidence of LT's superhuman abilities? What would make a guy who weighs 10 pounds less than LT, has a higher center of gravity, and is infinitely less agile better at getting tough yards and moving the pile? Nothing, it would seem.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    More than likely it's because of his height. The only other guy on the roster who might wind up in the back field who is over six feet is Naanee. He has three to five inches on everyone else, even more on sproles. Pinnock isn't described too often as a big back, even though he goes 250, since he's well under six feet. Guys like Pinnock get described as compact. They can even be called powerful, but not big. I ran into Sproles at the fair grounds. He might be short, but small was not a word that flitted through my brain.

• Like Like x 1
  4. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    I think what A.j. wants with thomas is more of a power runner. If he can combine extra yards power with running slippery he might do well.

I'm guessing hester will be used as more of an h-back and fullback/halfback.

My question is how good is thomas and hester at blocking. That will probably be their other job.

5. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    I think its just the fact that he is tall for a running back where optimum height is barely 6 feet if not 5'11/5'10 (LT) and combined with a decent weight. Further he likes to run inside and plays in a power running game - while he might not always play up or prefer that bruising style, his natural size and look make scouts immediately think power back.

Its not a criticism just more of what their eyes are seeing. To be honest he looks a little like a Michael Turner with less speed and not as powerful but better hands. Maybe a baby burner :yes:

6. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Being 6'2 he could probably add 10lbs of muscle without sacrificing much speed.

7. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    I don't know about 6' 2" 215 lbs being necessarily bad. As long as that weight is lean muscle with little fat, it can be pretty beefy.

Marcus Allen was 6' 2" and 210 lbs when he played and he did pretty well at the RB position.

That's not saying Marcus Thomas is anything like Allen, other than sharing the same height and size and first name. :lol: