1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Mario Henderson OT signed?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Dublin Bolt, Apr 4, 2012.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,528
    We need to target defense in this draft, as much as possible. That could wait until next year.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    That was my point. Just because someone is a starter, doesn't mean they are good. Sometimes it just means they are the best of crappy players

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    I think Smitty might target defense with the first 4 picks in the draft. The only 2 "holes" on our offense are OL depth across the board and TE. C position needs to be addressed in the near future, and Guard is less than perfect, but those aren't massive talent holes. At the same time, on defense NT is a big issue, SS is a talent blackhole without a doubt, and our OLB situation is far from ideal. I think our CB situation is a lot like our situation across most of our defense in that among them we really don't have a playmaker. Cason is probably never going to be a playmaking CB, even though he'll likely be a solid starter if the team has a pass rush, so I could see him going CB, even though it would likely make me sad until that CB had an elite season (if he ever did).

4. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I agree that he will need to be replaced down the road, but not this year

5. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    I didn't say this year, although down the road is coming up fast...

6. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Very true. But if you aren't referring to this year, then why even bring up the name?

7. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,528
    Unfortunately, the Bronocs and the Chiefs both need a NT as well........ the Raiders need a DT. We'll have to settle for getting an OLB in the 1st by the look of it...... not the worst thing.

8. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    What would that make, five 1st round CB's in the last decade? Not a good track record

9. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    it would be 5 CBs in 11 years, which is obviously bad, but that'll happen when you bust on one and trade one for a second. You can't really count Jammer anymore when analysing where we are with the draft cycle. He's been on the team going on 11 years, which is about all you can expect from his position. We've basically reset, so it would be 4 CBs in 10 years, which is still bad.

10. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    Because knowing that Hardwick needs to be replaced in the next 1-2 seasons impacts the priority and importance of replacing the other players I listed.

11. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,528
    Resolution imminent between Chargers, tackle
    Written by

Tackle Mario Henderson logged onto Facebook and announced to the world he'd be joining the Chargers.

That was Monday.

It's now Friday.

If a deal isn't reached soon, it seems it might not at all.

The clock is ticking in the Chargers' search for veteran depth on their offensive line, and sources said Friday that if Henderson does not make a decision in the coming days, the team will move in a different direction.

The Chargers have three reserve linemen with a combined 19 career starts: center Colin Baxter, guard-tackle Brandyn Dombrowski and tackle Stephen Schilling.
    If Henderson signs, he'd become the most experienced member of the group.

The 27-year-old started 28 of 44 games played with the Raiders since 2007, including 16 in 2009 at left tackle. He started another seven contests in 2010.

Last season, Henderson was out of football after reportedly showing up to Raiders camp out of shape.

His comeback attempt could take place in San Diego.

It'll just have to start shortly, sources said.

Since the end of last season, the Chargers have lost two Pro Bowlers on the offensive line.

Guard Kris Dielman retired last month due to health reasons. Tackle Marcus McNeill was released amid concerns over a recurring neck injury.

McNeill is still a free agent, but with last month's signing of tackle Jared Gaither, sources called a return to San Diego "highly unlikely."

12. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +450
    Resolution must not have been that imminent........ I guess.

Wonder would big Mc come back and try and beat out Gaither?. It's not like Marcus is that popular out there on the open market.

13. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    McNeil could very well just be done. Even if his spinal stenosis isn't such a hindrance that he can't play, it may be a quality of life thing where he simply no longer wants to do so.

14. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +450
    Last I heard was he was ready to play (for how long is of course the question). I don't believe he 'no longer wants to' just yet. Maybe the medical prognosis is putting everybody off?..... but wasn't that the case with Bob Sanders too and we took a chance. Yes it didn't work out but who's to say Marcus couldn't make a roster as a backup who can play a few downs/games when called on. I just think he is too good to be sitting on his *** doing nothing.

Wish they'd (his agents/doctors) tell us if he truly cannot go... instead of having him dangling. It would be fairer to him also.

15. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,780
    Henderson signed, dude could be ready to play some ball and shoot straight.

16. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,672
    http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2012/apr/13/chargers-sign-former-raiders-tackle/

The wait is over.
    Mario Henderson will attempt his career comeback in San Diego after all.
    The former Raiders tackle signed a one-year deal with the Chargers on Friday morning, two days after the team set Monday as a deadline to accept its offer.
    Henderson, 27, has appeared in 44 games and started 28 since entering the league in 2007. He saw his most significant action in 2009, starting 16 games on the left side.
    Listed at 6-foot-7 and 300 pounds, Henderson was out of the NFL last season after reportedly arriving at Raiders camp out of shape. He kept active by playing for the Colorado Ice of the Indoor Football League.
    He'll receive a fresh start in the NFL under offensive line coaches Hal Hunter and Mike Sullivan.
    Tackle Brandyn Dombrowski, a restricted free agent, and long snapper Mike Windt, an exclusive rights free agent, also signed their one-year deals, as expected. Henderson and Dombrowski join center Colin Baxter and tackle Stephen Schilling as the offensive line's reserves.
    Henderson is the 15th unrestricted free agent to join the Chargers since March 13. Only four of the acquisitions play defense.
    The team begins offseason workouts later this month.

17. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,776
  18. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    This tells us one of two things:

Smitty is grabbing camp bodies -or-

Smitty is going to completely ignore offense in the coming draft.

19. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    I'm going with the Latter, not saying he wont if the opportunity presents itself but I thinks he's on a defensive mindset which he has stated in every interview

20. boltfanatik

boltfanatik Toxic Minority Member

Ratings:
    +112
    All defense draft would be ok by me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Charger Dave

Charger Dave Dead account

Ratings:
    +1,028
    When Mario Henderson was drafted, it was kinda surprising to find out that he only had 30 3/4 inch arms and 9" hands despite being 6'7" tall. I was opining elsewhere that I wouldn't be surprised at all if Hunter & Sullivan want to move him inside to compete with Green for starting OLG. JMHO

• Informative Informative x 1
  22. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,776
    I think it tells us both.

With exception of a backup RB, and maybe an OG, I think 6 picks go towards defense. Law of percentages say at least one of the 6 will end up being a good player.;)

23. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I agree, although I still think they may look for a guard in the late rounds, but our 1st 4-5 picks will all be defense, as they should be

• Agree Agree x 3
  24. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Everything I have read has said they are planning on moving Dumbo inside to guard. If that is the case and they move Henderson to guard, we will definitely have to get a backup OT in the draft

25. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,528
    Short arms or not, if Henderson has quicker feet than Dombrowski, then he can backup the tackle position.

26. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I wouldn't say completely but I do hope that he focuses heavily on the D.

27. Charger Dave

Ratings:
    +1,028
    Don't forget Shilling is still on the roster - while he lacked in strength coming out of Michigan for a guy 6'5" and 300+, he did show *very* good feet. Let's see what his time on a pro diet/weight room has done for him. ;)

28. Charger Dave

Ratings:
    +1,028
    That is me and you both buck! The only offensive player I would consider with that 1st pick is David DeCastro if he should fall to 18 - and even then I will be conflicted depending on which pass rushers are also still on the board. Still thinking/expecting/hoping someone in the current top 10/12 will fall to us on D and make it kind of a "non-decision" for Norv/AJ/Dean.

29. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    We're definitely of a like mindset on this. I'd love to have to make the decision between DeCastro & Kuechly.