1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Marshall trade still possible

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by szarmes, Apr 12, 2010.

1. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    Seahawks could still make deal for Marshall
    Posted: April 12th, 2010 | Jason La Canfora | Tags: Brandon Marshall, Denver Broncos, Seattle Seahawks

We’ve seen a flurry of big trades in the past week or so, and there is still at least one more blockbuster possible. The Broncos are still looking to deal WR Brandon Marshall by the draft, with the Seahawks continuing to show the most interest, according to league sources.

The Seahawks are the only team to bring in Marshall for a visit, and talks between them and the Broncos are expected to heat up this week. Marshall has yet to sign his restricted free agent tender with Denver.

The Broncos have been seeking a first-round pick for Marshall and Seattle has two, but signing him to an offer sheet would require parting with the sixth-overall pick, which the Seahawks are unwilling to do, according to sources. It has been very difficult to get a first-round pick in trades, with Donovan McNabb going for a second-round pick in 2010 and a third or fourth pick in 2011.

A deal could be worked out for less than a first-round pick, with Marshall signing his tender and then getting a new contract from his next team. Seattle has been the most proactive team in this regard, according to sources.

I really hope NOBODY trade's for Marshall. The last thing we need is the donk's, the only other possible contender in the AFC west, to have 2 first round picks, let alone 2 top 11 picks......

2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Because having two first round picks worked out SO WELL for them last time didn't it :lol:

3. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Marshall signs tender with Broncos, who are looking to trade him

NFL.com Wire Reports
    Brandon Marshall signed his $2.521 million tender from the Denver Broncos on Tuesday, and the move could help facilitate a trade of the mercurial wide receiver.

A Broncos spokesman confirmed to The Associated Press that Marshall signed his tender, but declined to comment further. AP also left a message with Marshall's agent, Kennard McGuire, seeking comment.

NFL Network insider Jason La Canfora reported earlier this week that the Seattle Seahawks were interested in trading for Marshall, but they didn't want to give up one of their first-round picks (Nos. 6 and No. 14) in next week's draft.
    The Miami Dolphins, who are looking to trade wide receiver Ted Ginn, also could deal for Marshall, according to La Canfora.

Marshall posted his third consecutive 100-catch season last year and made his second consecutive trip to the Pro Bowl despite several run-ins with Broncos coach Josh McDaniels.

Marshall had an NFL-record 21 receptions during a Dec. 13 loss at Indianapolis, and his 10 touchdowns for the season were a career best.
    But for all his talents on the field, Marshall has had several run-ins with the law and visits to NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell's office to discuss off-the-field behavior. Marshall was suspended for the 2008 season opener following a series of domestic disputes involving a former girlfriend.

Last summer, the Broncos suspended Marshall for throwing a tantrum during a training-camp practice. The source of Marshall's frustration was twofold: He was upset with the team's medical staff for misdiagnosing a hip injury that required offseason surgery, and he was displeased with his contract.

Marshall earned $2.2 million last season in the final year of the deal that he signed in 2006 as a fourth-round pick out of Central Florida. He wants to be compensated like other elite wide receivers in the NFL, which would mean a pay hike of $6 million to $8 million annually.
    Marshall was one of five restricted free agents whom the Broncos tendered last month, including NFL sacks leader Elvis Dumervil and starting quarterback Kyle Orton. Marshall is the second player to sign his tender, although offensive lineman Chris Kuper's signing wasn't viewed as a means to a trade.

Orton hasn't signed his tender, but he's participating in the Broncos' offseason training program, something Marshall, Dumervil and tight end Tony Scheffler, another restricted free agent hoping for a ticket out of Denver, have been skipping.

Orton would lose his top target if the Broncos trade Marshall. The quarterback recently said he was working hard to develop a better rapport with third-year wideout Eddie Royal, the forgotten man in Denver's revamped offense last season.

4. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    I just looked at their draft the last two years

Knowshon Marino, Robert Ayers and this year's first - Alfonso Smith??

I love the AFC West

:flag:

5. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    I dont think hes gonna garner a 1st rd pick. Den will come off it come draft time. They DEN and BM have been wanting a divorce for a while now. I think this is the magic year they both get their wish. BUT BM being the ***** will be taking the major control in their property division.

DEN can afford to take a 2nd and a next year pick or a high 4th this year for releiving theirselves of a headache. Scheftler I hope can get out, but I dont think that happens if BM gets his way. Scheftler did want to be traded to CHI when the news was breaking of Cuter wanting out Tony was all on the wagon send me too in a package deal!!

6. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
  7. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Couple of observations ....

Glad he's out of the AFCW. Always a headache for us. :tup:

Will Revis draw the matchup or does Cro continue to get his *** burnt by Marshall? :icon_twisted:

If Marshall gets the contract that he wants, will that price VJ out of our range? :unsure:

8. BrecksOnlyBoltzFan

BrecksOnlyBoltzFan BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +39
    Looks like Miami for Marshall

9. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    VJ's contract should already be somewhere in the range of what Roddy White got. I don't know if he is looking for more, or if the Chargers are trying to low ball him. But that is the range that his new contract should be in. But I would definitely add a DUI clause that he loses money if he gets another one

10. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    If Marshall gets a big deal then VJ's asking price will rise.

11. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    Hmm so where is Ginn Jr goin??? Or they gonna save something for draft day.

12. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Love that he's gone from the AFC West.

Love that they didn't get another top 15 pick for him.

Love that the Broncos are just that much worse without him in 2010.

13. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Two seconds isn't much for Marshall, and yeah I'm very glad that Marshall is long gone. AFC East is going to be very tough.

And yeah baring a marvelous draft by the Broncos, I can't see how they'll match us anytime soon.

14. coachmarkos

coachmarkos BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +47
    Really, really glad they didn't get a first round pick for him.

Now, I hope this means that they take Dez Bryant, instead of McClain. McClain scares me.

15. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    I noticed that marshall had just signed his tender and then they could trade him. Sproles just signed his tender as well. I wonder.

16. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Pete Prisco nailed it (words I don't normally say :yes:)
    http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/6315047/20941595

(part)
    Forget the 40 times. Forget size, weight, strength and ability.

The new personnel mantra for the Denver Broncos is this: If the coach doesn't like you, you are gone.

How else can we explain the trading away of quarterback Jay Cutler and receiver Brandon Marshall in the past two years?

Marshall is int he process of being traded to the Miami Dolphins for two second-round picks, one this year and one next, a move that comes ones year after Cutler was traded to the Chicago Bears.

The fact is McDaniels didn't like either player.

The fact is both can play.

The fact is the Broncos have no battery that excites anymore.

17. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings:
    +58
    I don't see mcdouchebag surviving more than 2 more seasons there tops!

18. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    Lol, Cromartie is going to have to see him twice a year again. Yeah I know Revis is probably going to cover him more.

19. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    when was the last time those two made the playoffs?

never???

:icon_shrug:

20. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Yes it will. I am just saying what the area should be. If Marshall gets some ridiculous number, then VJ is as good as gone. But I also don't expect Parcells to give Marshall big money unless he shows he has his head on straight

21. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    2 seconds is a ton for a guy they basically had to trade. I swear some people on this board totally under value draft picks

22. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,581
    From ESPN:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft10/news/story?id=5085644

:icon_eek:

23. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +90
    Ouchie!!

24. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    VJ must have a monster year AND keep himself in complete check to get that kind of money.

25. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    If they overpay so be it. Won't matter to our bottom line when he sucks ***.

I think VJ needs to be paid in the top five. Certainly not the highest paid at this point.

We all know what happens when AJ makes a player the highest paid in the league

:icon_eek::icon_eek::icon_eek:

26. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Boy was I wrong. I cannot believe this guy just got 4yrs/$47.5 mil. That is really going to drive up VJ's cost and probably push him out of the price range the Chargers will pay a guy who can't seem to stay out of handcuffs