1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Martin working overtime

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Jul 29, 2009.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Chargers defensive end Vaughn Martin has taken every available opportunity to learn, and Head Coach Norv Turner believes it’s paying off.

Chargers.com

Jul 29, 2009

If you were looking for defensive end Vaughn Martin[​IMG] during a break in the first three days of training camp practices, you’d always find him with defensive line coach Don Johnson.
    “Every extra minute I have in practice I’ll go aside with Coach Johnson,”

Martin said. “He’s helping me with my steps, my footwork. That’s what gets me in trouble sometimes, when I misstep. We’re really trying to improve that, my hand placement and my vision. I feel like I’m stepping forward.”

Martin, one of the Chargers’ three fourth-round picks from April’s draft, has hardly taken a second off since rookies and select veterans reported earlier this week, and that’s simply a carryover from the way he spent his month of “vacation.” During the four weeks he spent in Canada between Offseason Coaching Sessions and training camp, Martin hit the gym hard and says he lost 17 pounds.

“In talking to a lot of the veterans, they told me how difficult training camp can be, especially for a rookie,” Martin said. “I didn’t want to compound the situation by coming in overweight, so I did a lot of cardio. Even the morning I left to come back to San Diego, before I got on the plane I was doing cardio.”

Head Coach Norv Turner saw Martin make improvements on the field throughout the spring, and he likes the way the London, Ontario native has picked up right where he left off prior to the break.

“A lot of young guys when they leave for a month, they don’t retain much,” Turner said. “I think he’s retained what he was taught. I think he’s fortunate to have Don Johnson coaching him, and he’s putting in a lot of time with him and being very detailed with him. I’ve been impressed with Vaughn in what he’s done in this three-day period.”

The last two days, Martin has benefitted from lining up against two-time Pro Bowl offensive tackle Marcus McNeill[​IMG], and the Chargers’ starting left tackle likes what he’s seen from Martin.

“He’s a hard-nosed type guy,” McNeill said. “You can see that he’s real competitive, and that’s what you need on the defensive line. I think a lot of his skills, as he gets more and more attention from his coaches, he’s going to become a great player.”

Giving them a break

The rookies and veterans that reported early this week were scheduled to practice four times before the remainder of the team joins them Friday, but Turner decided to cancel Thursday’s practice.

“We got done what I wanted to get done over the three days,” Turner said. “It gives them a day’s rest to get ready for Friday.”

The entire squad will practice at 10:30 a.m. and 4 p.m. Friday. On Wednesday, August 5, fans will get their first chance to see the 2009 Chargers as the club holds its first of three practices at Qualcomm Stadium.

Looking good

Linebacker Shawne Merriman[​IMG] just took part in individual and 7-on-7 drills on Monday but added a few snaps in the team periods on Tuesday and Wednesday. Turner was very pleased with what he saw from the three-time Pro Bowler.

“He looks great,” Turner said. “He’s been doing more in his workouts than what he did over the last three days on the field. He’s moving around well and is in great condition. He’s done a great job of getting his body and his knee ready.”

50th Anniversary voting begins Saturday

As part of the team’s 50th Anniversary celebration, fans can cast their votes to determine the Greatest Moment and the Greatest Chargers in team history. Voting begins this Saturday and runs through Oct. 19 (for the Greatest Chargers).

Voting for the Greatest Moment takes place online at Chargers.com as well as at all Brigantine Family of Restaurants locations. The Brigantine Family of Restaurants includes seven Brigantine Seafood Restaurants, three Miguel’s Cocinas, two Zócalos, Miguelito's Sala de Artes y Comer and their newest addition, The Steakhouse at Azul La Jolla.