1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Marty didn't like .....

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Shamrock, Oct 30, 2007.

1. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    One of the things the "AJ Haters" crowd uses against GAWD is the 2003 draft, and the Chargers trade down in the first round.

Note from UT Kevin Acee's mailbag.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Question

Hey Kevin

Have you seen the TV show Journeyman? It's about a reporter who can go back in time and change events. Cool huh? Now you being a reporter and all, if you could go back in time and change one move that ole AJ has made during his time at the helm, what would it be, and why?

Eric / La Mesa

Answer

It would be the top of the 2003 draft.

Please understand I am only playing along. It's a fun game, I suppose. But that '03 draft was a tough one for Smith.

He was still reeling from the death of John Butler less than three weeks earlier. He did not want to step on Butler's toes during the scouting season and was essentially unprepared for the draft. Plus, he was still taking input from Marty Schottenheimer on personnel decisions.

They traded down to #30 get an extra second rounder. They took Sammy Davis, who was not good and was basically given away last summer.

I don't know for sure if it were even possible, but it would have been nice had they traded into the 20s and taken Troy Polamalu.

Marty didn't like Polamalu.

Hey, it was Smith's job. He has to take the heat. But I don't really hold him accountable for drafts prior to 2004.

2. TBF

TBF BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +148
    I thought this was a question....My answer is...WINNING IN THE PLAYOFFS!

You know what...On the real topic...I know the director of player perso for an NFC East team that was down on him (Troy P) as well... The word then was KNEE's...

For what it's worth...It's a pure guessing game...Thus far we guessed right on CroMo...Lets hope it proves true over the tenure of two/three contracts.

TBF

3. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Marty .... is that you ? :lol:

;)

4. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    I'll take Cro or Weddle over a Palomalu. Cro has put his legit claim on a starting spot. I have hear Mother McCree's name much since the first couple of weeks. I suppose that's a good thing, because it means he's not screwing up, but Weddle is beginning to impress the crap out of me. I'm still dying to know if Kassim could shift to Safety(while still on ST).