1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Marty engineered his way out?...

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Dublin Bolt, Feb 18, 2007.

1. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    The Union Tribune is claiming they reckon Marty engineered his way out and kept his 4mil in the process. Sounds plausible but u think he is that 'cute/smart'. I dunno I think he seriously wanted his brother to be the new DC. And the dumb *** gets 4mil for sitting home playing sudoku. Interesting how the Marty being the victim changed so fast eh?...

Zimmer looks like an interesting type doesn't he?, mind you looks alot like Mike Shanahan don't u think?...

Still think Rex is the man.

C'mon AJ make the right choice like u always do, a coupla misses notwithstanding.

2. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    It just took the UT longer to read our thoughts this time is all.

They are lagging on getting their material off these boards. Send them a link.

3. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Crafty diaper-wearing old coot pulled a fast one.

4. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820
    The Narcissistic SOB thought he was teflon. Deano took him out with a head shot. The old bastard never saw it coming.

5. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Yup, cryin all the wayta the bank!!:yes: :icon_rofl: :icon_tease:

6. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    this is one conspiracy theory that's even more implausible then the otehrs

7. Lancer 1

Lancer 1 Eternal Optimist

Ratings:
    +341
    I don't buy it, I think Marty "mis-calculated".

Why would a rational man, one who has been chasing a Superbowl ring for his entire career intentionally get himself fired froma a team that has the best chance to get him one?

I doubt it's about the money either, he was going to get his 4 million whether he coached this season or not, but if he won it all he would get alot more than that from the highest bidder as a walk away free agent.

My belief is that Marty felt safe after AJ tried to get Spanos to run him following the playoff debacle, and since he needed a new DC after the departure of Wade, he decided it was a good time to "reunite" with his brother Kurt, whom he likely would've hired as our DC in 2003 had he not already been filling that role with Detroit. In 2003, Marty would've gotten away with it but in 2007, after the excellence of Wade Phillips in that job, the nepotism just wasn't gonna fly!

I think that Marty requested to interview, if not outright hire his brother. AJ probably said no f-ing way, Marty held firm and AJ probably then went to Spanos and threatened to resign right then if he didn't fire Marty. That's how I think it all went down, based on the peculiar timing of the firing after initially deciding to bring him back.

8. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Does it mater if Marty engineered it, or not? Out is out. 'Nuff said.

9. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Can't we all just get along...

signed Marty Schottenheimer :lol:

10. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    thankgod the stick in the mud old german is gone. Time to find a real coach and win a super bowl or two.

As Zimmer said yesterday. I'm a straight shooter and thats what I like about A.j. smith. Which is not what Marty had been doing of late. The final straw was letting those two good assistants go before the chargers knew what was to become of wade and Cam.

My question is. Was it purposeful sabotage or just stupidity on martys part.

11. Zeus

Zeus BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +83
    I am a big supporter of Marty and I want all of our assistant coaches to do well. However Marty allowed too many of them to go. He knew we had the possbility to lose both our OC and DC. However he allowed at least 3 more assitant coaches to leave, at least 2 of them with little to no upgrade in position.

Now the question lies was Marty doing it on purpose, or did he really not want to win the big one?

12. mapcap55

mapcap55 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +66

I completely disagree with you.

Marty is more likely working crossword puzzles, he was an english major you know...:icon_tease:

13. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
  14. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    • Like Like x 1
  15. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    Its all pretty odd. I guess it might come out what really happened. I'm glad marty is gone. But its a wonder how it happened.

I wonder if there could be repercussions for marty possibly sabotaging the chargers by giving away those assistants when he shouldn't have. LIke not paying him for pursposely sabotaging the chargers.

16. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    Not gonna happen, but I am certain that any future employers will take notice.

17. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195
    :lol: :lol: :lol:

I just read the UT article and it sounded not so wrong.
    But you say it right "He doesn't saw it coming." It's the
    sight he shows from looking back to get the best out of it.
    SDC have the best shot to get the Superbowl next year,
    we wouldn't like to miss it.

18. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886