1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Marty Marty Marty..... in Cleveland?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Sydalish, Dec 7, 2008.

1. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    So, just saw the ticker report that the Browns are working overtime to get Marty back in Cleveland to replace Romeo Crennel. I wonder if he takes the job?

2. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Talk about going full circle. :bolt:

• Like Like x 1
  3. pure-sol

pure-sol Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +255
    Well, during the Faider game they had a phone interview with Marty. He basically said he has no intentions of coaching again because he's so happy spending time with his family. Of course, I'm of the firm belief that everybody has a price, so who knows?

• Like Like x 1
  4. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    Might want to finally get a team over the hump and yeah what better way to do it then with the team you started coaching with.

still its probably 50/50

5. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    I think he might take it, especially since there is a core of talent there so it's not like he has to rebuild from zero.

He could do a 4-6yr stint, turn the team around, get a shot at getting over the hump and then ride off into the sunset. Even if all he does is make them competitive it won't hurt his rep any :icon_shrug:

I'd like to see him get to the big dance... too bad the Browns aren't in the NFC tho...

6. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Marty was on ESPN Radio on Friday telling Colin Cowherd there was a minimal chance he'd ever coach again, that he wanted to spend time with his family, that it would have to be a real special situation for him to even consider.

I'd say there is a 1% chance Marty takes over a dunce squad like the Browns. The only jobs I can see him even considering (where coaches are in trouble) are maybe Philly, Seattle, or Jacksonville and thats only because of the level of talent.

7. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    Sources: Browns eye Schottenheimer for 2009

By Chris Mortensen
    ESPN.com

Updated: December 7, 2008, 1:16 PM ET

The Cleveland Browns are formulating a plan that ultimately could lead to the return of Marty Schottenheimer as their coach for the 2009 season, according to sources.

The Browns would also be open to considering Bill Cowher if he sends stronger signals that he's ready to return, the sources said.

The Browns plan to fire coach Romeo Crennel after a disappointing year, regardless of injuries the team has suffered, the sources said. Pubicly, owner Randy Lerner has only said he will evaluate Crennel after the season.

The future of general manager Phil Savage also has been the source of speculation by various media outlets. Sources said Lerner prefers to retain Savage to run his personnel department but could scale back his overall duties, which include the final say on all roster moves.

Before the 2008 season, Savage signed a four-year contract extension for an average of
    $2.7 million per year, the sources said.

• Like Like x 1
  8. calgary_chargers

calgary_chargers BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +4
    i like jim swartz here, to bring toughness in our D

9. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Hmmmm LT to the browns? :icon_shrug:

10. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    That would be a good fit.
    a.) Nobody else has been able to get the Browns going since they've come back to Cleveland.
    b.) They have a lot of young and inexperienced guys.
    c.) They need more building through the draft.

All of those combined are deffinetly a Marty type of situation. :yes:

11. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,419
    And we'd definitely be able to chalk up an automatic L for Oakland's matchup with them next year. :lol: