1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Marty Schottenheimer is looking for another position coach

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Feb 2, 2007.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    <!--ClickabilityRefresh=10m--><!--- SAFE:SafeMode --->By Kevin Acee
    UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER
    February 2, 2007
    <!--- BODYTEXT --->Marty Schottenheimer is looking for another position coach. Greg Manusky, the Chargers' linebackers coach the past five seasons, has been hired as defensive coordinator of the San Francisco 49ers.
    I'm trying to move up the ladder of success,” Manusky said. “Hopefully I'll have that in San Francisco.”

Manusky is the third assistant to leave since the Chargers' season ended in a Jan. 14 playoff loss.
    Offensive coordinator Cam Cameron is the new head coach of the Miami Dolphins. Tight ends coach Rob Chudzinski is the Cleveland Browns' new offensive coordinator.
    Additionally, defensive coordinator Wade Phillips remains a candidate to be the Dallas Cowboys' head coach.
    Running backs coach Clarence Shelmon was promoted last week to replace Cameron. Schottenheimer has yet to name new running backs and tight ends coaches. Manusky will assume his new post after attending next week's Pro Bowl in Hawaii as a guest of Shawne Merriman.
    Merriman also will be taking assistant linebackers coach John Pagano, who likely will be the leading candidate to take over for Manusky and could even be a candidate to replace Phillips if Phillips is hired in Dallas.
    “He's a great coach,” Manusky said of Pagano. “He understands offense. He understands defensive schemes.”
    In addition to helping Manusky coach the linebackers, Pagano works in the booth and helps make defensive adjustments during games. He also runs the scout team in practice, and many players on both sides of the ball speak highly of his teaching.
    Schottenheimer continues to talk with candidates for the offensive assistant positions. He said he will wait to see what happens with Phillips before making a decision on the linebackers coach. “The players can play,” Manusky said in response to a question about all the staff changes. “The same system will be in place. They've got good players and good (coaches).”

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/chargers/20070202-9999-1s2chargers.html

2. DjChemical

DjChemical BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +6
    it will be interesting to see what happens this coming season.

3. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    Where can I send my resume?

4. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,848
    Dont bother, I alreadu have the job.

5. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    I probably didn't have a shot anyways once they showed Marty the pics of me and the little lady carrying the "MARTY MUST GO!!!" banner around the stadium a few years back.

6. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,848
    Well true, Marty wasnt happy with that, once I... errr THEY showed him the picture.

7. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Marty is too busy farming to look for new coaches.

“I don't want to speculate,” Schottenheimer said. “We still have some ground to plow.”

More farmer Marty .....

“I feel very confident we can get quality coaches that fit what we're doing,” Schottenheimer said. “We need to get back on our horse and keep riding. We've got to make sure that horse has enough stamina to get through the playoffs.”

8. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Are you going to sing green acres now...:lol: