1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Marty Schottenheimer to Bills ?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Dec 31, 2009.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

Could Nix sway Schottenheimer to Bills?

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. -- Two years ago, Buddy Nix and Marty Schottenheimer were shopping around for jobs together and appeared close to landing with the Atlanta Falcons.

With news the Buffalo Bills have promoted Nix from their scouting department to general manager, you have to wonder if this opens the door for Schottenheimer to be the Bills' next head coach.
    On Nov. 24, Schottenheimer told the audience of "The Red Zone," his show on Sirius NFL Radio, that he wasn't interested in returning to the sidelines.

"From the coaching standpoint of it, you know, I'll be very candid with you and say it's nice to think that people would consider you," Schottenheimer said, "but the reality of it is is that after 30 great years, I'm really not going to go back down that road again."

Sure, and Bill Parcells was done coaching after the New York Jets. And Nick Saban wasn't a candidate for the Alabama job.

Could Nix's promotion sway Schottenheimer, who played linebacker for the Bills in the 1960s?

When the tandem was being considered for the Falcons, Chargers general manager A.J. Smith noted how close Nix and Schottenheimer were in San Diego.

"If true, I believe a Buddy Nix-Marty Schottenheimer team in Atlanta would be a perfect fit," Smith told the San Diego Union-Tribune. "Buddy got along well with Schottenheimer. They socialized together, went out to dinner, golfed together, sat together on the plane, talked football all the time."

The Falcons instead hired Thomas Dimitroff, from the New England Patriots front office, to be general manager and Mike Smith to be head coach.

2. Bergo23

Bergo23 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +22
    It may be Shotty's last chance to prove he can win in the playoffs. It seems they have a potentially good running game...with two good backs in Lynch and Fred whats his name. I'd love for him to go toe to toe with Bellicheat, hopefully he could hire away his son from the Jets, maybe taking over someday for his old man. Heck maybe ole Kurt can be the D coordinator...and they could rename the franchise the Schottenheimer's!!!!

3. IFiredCHart

IFiredCHart Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +96
    The quintessential team that cannot win the Super Bowl meets the coach who epitomizes playoff failure, perfect fit if you ask me. :yes:

• Like Like x 1
  4. BoltFanDC

BoltFanDC Mufflers Are Overrated

Ratings:
    +329
    T.O. is going to LOVE this...

Oil and water.

5. Workplay

Workplay scompl

Ratings:
    +66
    T.O. is almost worthless. The Buffalo Bills aren't as dysfunctional as the Raiders, but they're getting there. If they think that hiring Marty Schottenheimer is going to help, I say go for it.

6. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

What are they? 3-12 or something like that?
    They need to win before they can think about the playoffs and this would be a good fit for Marty. Getting bad teams winning is his specialty...

Cleveland was a mess... he got them winning.
    Kansas City was a mess... he got them winning.
    We were a mess... he got us winning.

These were all big freakin' messes too.
    In three seasons, he'll get the Bills competing again.

• Like Like x 1
  7. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Do you actually think TO will be a Bill next season? :icon_shrug:

8. Holy_Bolt

Holy_Bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +362
    I agree! Give Marty a few years and the Bills will be back in the hunt. He could be the right coach at the right time for the struggling Bills. Marty won't put up with player antics like TO...he will clean house and help the Bills form a strong foundation to build on. When you are down like the Raturds and Bills, you should not look for the quick fix...pay your dues and rebuild...Marty may be the right Man for the job.

• Like Like x 1
  9. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    Then bring in Norv Turner to get them to win in the Playoffs. :icon_rofl:

• Like Like x 1
  10. Holy_Bolt

Holy_Bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +362
    I almost wrote that they could have Norv once we were done with him!:lol::lol:

11. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Marty won't do much there just like his record proves. GM's get him all the best player's and he'll still manage to find a way to poof out. Dude is a born loser and wasn't even that good a football player.

12. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Ughhhh. The only players worth mentioning for the Chiefs in Marty's time are Derrick Thomas (bless his heart) and Neil Smith. Without those two, they would have been a horrible team.
    Sure, Marcus Allen ran well for an old guy and Montana had a little left on his last legs but who did he have to throw to?
    The GM supplied very little and he got the best he could with what he got.

BTW... guess who started coaching Brees's career? I suppose he sucks too? There is a BIG reason why we gave Brees a contract extension instead of letting him walk.

13. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Marty has sucked everywhere he's coached, he can't even win a damn playoff game let alone smell a Super Bowl with out buying a ticket.

Brees was tagged, he wasn't signed long term.

14. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

Yup. We were such a great team before he came here. Years of winning with Super Bowl talent all over the place!!! He reduced us down to an 8-8 team in 02.

Cleveland was an awesome team too until Marty took over. So was KC.

So now that sarcasm made you happy, no need to discuss anymore. Did you start watching foolball yesterday?

15. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Actually I have a few more day's than you do, but I watch Football.

16. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    It's commonly the guys that were not talented enough that become students of the game and go onto the next level in coaching.

17. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,886
    I would imagine that most coaches have played the game on one level or another. Tommy Lasorda wasn't a very good American baseball player but did quite well as a manager.

18. sdbound

Ratings:
    +942
    OT: Lasorda was a minor league pitcher I think? Also wasn't Lasorda childhood friends with John Madden and John Robinson? I recall hearing some stories about them sneaking into games.

19. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,413
    Tony Dungy wasn't a good football player.

He has a Super Bowl ring.

20. sdbound

Ratings:
    +942
    The same can be said for Eli Manning.

• Like Like x 2
  21. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,413
    Fair enough.

But I counter with the fact that Eli had a good game (while his teammates were more responsible for getting him there) but Dungy lead his team to the dance and won it.

Furthermore, Dungy helped build the team that Gruden inherited and won a SB with.

22. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,886
    I recall hearing about some of Lasorda's childhood antics but I can't recall who he was running with.

23. Boltage Bimbo

Boltage Bimbo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    Here are some stats for you...

Norv Turner in 188 games has done...

Games over .500: -9
    Super Bowl Wins: 0
    Overall Championships: 0
    Conference Championships: 0
    Division Championships: 4

Marty Schottenheimer in 327 games has done...

Games over .500: 74
    Super Bowl Wins: 0
    Overall Championships: 0
    Conference Championships: 0
    Division Championships: 8

Notice the zeros people... Norv hasn't gotten any further in the playoffs than Marty. So can we please stop talking about how much better in the playoffs Norv is than Marty. :scream:

24. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,413
    You didn't list the stats for all playoff games so your argument isn't exactly valid.

25. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Here's something for Norv lovers/Marty haters to consider...

Had we hired Norv in 2002 to take the reigns of the 5-11 team (followed by a 1-15 season) would Norv have made us into the team we are now?
    I don't think so but how about this... if he did, should he get credit for building the team? Why or why not (since Marty doesn't)?

Another thing... all the whining about losing the playoffs in 04 and 06... what makes you so sure that we would have even made the playoffs had Norv started in 02?

Let's hear it!

26. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,413
    I don't care about speculation and what ifs because there's no way to prove it one way or another.

All I know is Marty was great in the regular season and sucked in the playoffs and Norv starts slow but has won 3 division titles in the 3 years he's been here and has had some amount of success in the playoffs.

Hopefully he reaches the ultimate goal this year, but even as things stand right now he's already done more with the team than Marty ever did.

By the way, I was one of Marty's staunchest supporters when he was here. Don't believe me, go do a search on him at the UT and see who's posting the most in just about any anti-Marty thread.

27. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

Woopty Freakin' Doo!!!! :icon_rofl:

Look at our division!!! Kevin Gilbride could do that!!!
    Reduce the them to 8-8 and that still clinches the division.

People whine about not making the playoffs in 2007... well the Donks were 13-3 and the Quiefs were 10-6.

28. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,413
    Would Kevin Gilbride win 3 playoff games?

29. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +686
    This is true, but if you include the reg season % here are the Playoff % for the stat list.

Norv: 7-4 .571

Marty: 5-13 .278

Depends on how you rate playoff success. Is it only a success if you walk home with a SB trophy? Just getting to the SB? Their winning %?

Each can view it differently in the context of the discussion.

30. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

I don't know but you mentioned clinching the AFCW three times in three years and I'm telling you that cosidering our team and our horrible division rivals... that ain't **it!!!

Any HC could do that blindfolded!!!